undecided and confused

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The veteran divers hate the split fins, but as a new diver I should tell that they are great. I am not a strong swimmer and I started diving with a pair of Tusa Platinas. They are ok fins but learning to dive is not really enjoyable with fatigued legs. I switched to a pair of Tusa Splits and I love them.
My dive buddies followed suit and the consensus is that split fins are the only way to go for new divers or anyone with weak legs or knees. I have also tried Scuba Pro Twin Jets and IST Split fins, and they are about the same. IST fins are somewhat less expensive and the are comparable to my Tusas.
How knows maybe I'll outgrow them and go back with conventional fins in a few years. But for the time being I refuse to dive with anything else.

Good Luck...:confined:

mndolphin, you and I got the knee thing in common! And fins.

Seriously, you got good advice already, try them out yourself and go for what you like. I did, I was going to buy Cressi frogs until I tried them (being a long-time-ago pro snowboarder shot my knees to hell) and they hurt my knees big time! Then I tried the twin-jets and they were like butter.

Veterans don't like splits? hm. Haven't noticed. My instructor was a Navy diver 15 years back and he uses and recommended splits. But we dive warm water so I don't know about cold. This I can tell you... neon colored fins are easy to see and spot underwater, my buddy dives with bright yellow and she is so easy to pick out of the group with those fins. I wish I had some.

stormtpr once bubbled...
:confused: I am new to SCUBA diving, and I havent even started my classes yet ( starts in 3 weeks on Aug,17th) I need some help from the vets.... What is better, Regular fins, or split fins? The folks at the school tell me the Atomic splits are better then the Tusa Expert splits... BUt I read some articles on here that say they (the plit fins) SUCK. If they suck, what is a good pair of regular fins to get? Price is not a factor, I want quality and efficiency. I dont want to start out with just a basic pair for starters, I want to start with a good pair so I can keep them and get used to them. Please help me to make a decision before class on the 17th.

Thanks
Doug Stidham

Splitt fins are great for a lot of things and since you are new to diving you will most likeley love the they are afford less they are very easy on your legs.
I have a set of Tusa Expertzooms and love them.
But i do have an regular set of fins the biggest difference is you have to change the way you kick if you are used to regular fins and have the perfect scissor kick the split fins won't do as well for you.
But since you are new you can learn with them first.

I know what you mean about the yellow fins, I am sooo envious!

My husband has the same pair I do and, he doesn't seem to like them as well.
Maybe they'll grow on him:D

Back
Top Bottom