Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm giving the Showa 3416s another shot. My first pair somehow were sliced underwater. I didn't notice when it happened, but during my ascent, I felt my hand getting wet. There was a pretty decent slice in a fingertip, so I must have brushed across a barnacle or something. I've been wearing my Ansell AlphaTec 58-735s since then, but I spend most of my dives crawling around rocks and sharp rust looking for tiny photo subjects. I'm hoping for better luck this time.

I remembered to grease the inside O-rings this time. It took less than 90 seconds to install both gloves on my Ultima rings.

I have watched your video and Seajay's video and I cannot for the life of me replicate either technique. I was able to get things on with slightly different technique that was still a struggle until I recently switched to a larger o-ring...that just cuts down the struggle tremendously but it doesn't eliminate it completely.

I am envious of your Ultima glove mounting prowess.

-Z

I'm giving the Showa 3416s another shot.

Definitely. I used a single pair all week to cut 250 oyster-encrusted pilings down with a chainsaw. No cuts, slices, or tears. 100% dry the entire time, which is really impressive.

Definitely. I used a single pair all week to cut 250 oyster-encrusted pilings down with a chainsaw. No cuts, slices, or tears. 100% dry the entire time, which is really impressive.

I'm sure someone mentioned it already...are the 3416's warmer than the 720's? Maybe I just need a thicker liner, but with Burton glove liners my hands got pretty cold in 42f with the 720's. I managed an hr+, but I was cold.

Any suggestions?

I'm sure someone mentioned it already...are the 3416's warmer than the 720's? Maybe I just need a thicker liner, but with Burton glove liners my hands got pretty cold in 42f with the 720's. I managed an hr+, but I was cold.

Any suggestions?

Yeah, 42 degree water is pretty chilly, and if you're not working, you'll indeed get cold hands with 720s and thin liners.

The 3416s are indeed warmer because they're thicker - add a Burton glove liner and you'll have more warmth than 720s with an underglove.

That said, you'll also have very little feel left - the thicker glove material combined with an underglove will probably be too thick to feel anything through.

Just setting your expectations. :D

Give us a review when you're done.

Yeah, 42 degree water is pretty chilly, and if you're not working, you'll indeed get cold hands with 720s and thin liners.

The 3416s are indeed warmer because they're thicker - add a Burton glove liner and you'll have more warmth than 720s with an underglove.

That said, you'll also have very little feel left - the thicker glove material combined with an underglove will probably be too thick to feel anything through.

Just setting your expectations. :D

Give us a review when you're done.

I might just try the thicker yellow liners that I have laying around. Less dexterity but maybe more warmth.

I dread the day I have to load any new gloves onto the Ultimas:)

I had a lot of difficulties when I got my first set of Ultima rings. Once I learned this simple technique, I can now load a glove in less than 30 seconds without killing my fingers.

I had a lot of difficulties when I got my first set of Ultima rings. Once I learned this simple technique, I can now load a glove in less than 30 seconds without killing my fingers.

Do you have different o rings or maybe those have been used for a while?

I know I could do it.. I'm sure I could fairly quick if i had to, but the 1st and only go around kicked my butt.

I stretch them as far as I can before putting them inside the gloves. I also grease them so I can adjust the glove easily once it's on the ring.

I might just try the thicker yellow liners that
I might just try the thicker yellow liners that I have laying around. Less dexterity but maybe more warmth.

Yep - thicker gloves and thicker liners = more warmth, but less tactility and dexterity. The key is to find a balance.

If it helps, the 3416s are softer and stretchier than 720s somehow - even though they're thicker. They're definitely easier to load, although it's the o-ring - not the glove - that makes it hard.

Back
Top Bottom