Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recommend not struggling with the o-rings that came with the Ultima DGS for mounting/retaining gloves on the rings. Instead purchase some buna o-rings size 341 (70A).

These o-rings are roughly 6mm larger in diameter than the the ones that come with the system, they retain the gloves just as well, and they are a helluva lot easier to use in mounting gloves like the Showa 720.

-Z

My used set of rings was missing one set of the o-rings - either for mounting the gloves or to mount the rings - I don't remember which. For the orange o-rings to mount the gloves I ordered silicone o-ring size 344 (70A) and to mount the rings I ordered buna-N o-ring size 337. Both sizes work well but I haven't had them in the water too much for any long-term feedback.

My used set of rings was missing one set of the o-rings - either for mounting the gloves or to mount the rings - I don't remember which. For the orange o-rings to mount the gloves I ordered silicone o-ring size 344 (70A) and to mount the rings I ordered buna-N o-ring size 337. Both sizes work well but I haven't had them in the water too much for any long-term feedback.

The o-ring that mounts in the groove on the inner diameter of the glove ring that seals the system when attached to one's suit is a larger diameter than the the 341. I assume that is the 344 silicone ring you used and the 337 is what you are using to retain your gloves...the o-rings that came with the system to retain the gloves on the glove rings are buna-n and from my measurements they approximate a size 339 o-ring. Not sure of the durometer of the original o-rings but they feel rather hard/stiff....so perhaps the 70A makes up for the slightly smaller diameter you purchased.

-Z

I used a mic to measure, and measure, and measure again the grooves as I didn't have one set of o-rings and then subtracted some for a tight stretch fit. The stretch wasn't too bad.

Question: Like I said I haven't had too many dives on them but for ease of removal should the o-rings be lubed? Is the best removal method to twist and pull?

Recommend not struggling with the o-rings that came with the Ultima DGS for mounting/retaining gloves on the rings. Instead purchase some buna o-rings size 341 (70A).

These o-rings are roughly 6mm larger in diameter than the the ones that come with the system, they retain the gloves just as well, and they are a helluva lot easier to use in mounting gloves like the Showa 720.

-Z

Where was that wonderful information when I was tearing my fingers apart a few months ago?!?!?:D:wink:

Jk, I'm sure it's in here somewhere!

Reactions: Zef
I used a mic to measure, and measure, and measure again the grooves as I didn't have one set of o-rings and then subtracted some for a tight stretch fit. The stretch wasn't too bad.

Question: Like I said I haven't had too many dives on them but for ease of removal should the o-rings be lubed? Is the best removal method to twist and pull?

I believe we are referring ro the same sustem but different parts. The o-ring that seals the system is not stretched at all, it is pressed into place, and further held by compression due to squeezkng the glove ring onto the cuff ring.

All that being said, if twisting and pulling work for you then keep on keeping on.

-Z

The o-ring that is stretched is the one that simply holds the glove on the glove ring.

The o-ring that seals the system (the OEM one is orange coloured), should be very lightly lubed from time to time, with silicone grease to facilitate attaching and removing the glove ring to/from the cuff ring.

The "proper" way to separate the glove rings from the cuff rings is to simy pry the two halves apart...typically brace one side against ones thigh while leavering the other side with the base of the palm / heel of ones hand.

Where was that wonderful information when I was tearing my fingers apart a few months ago?!?!?:D:wink:

Jk, I'm sure it's in here somewhere!

Its not mixed in all the pages and posts of this thread.

I found that my 720 gloves were easier to mount on the fourth element ellipse system and thoufht it was due to stretchier o-rings. Yesterday I compared the o-rings and found that although the ones from the Fourth Element system maybe stretchier they are larger in diameter.

I used one of the 4E o-rings to mount a 720 glive on an Ultima gloce ring and it was so much easier. I tested the holding strength of the o- ring and found that it retained the glove without any issues or concern of it inadvertently popping off.

I pulled out the vernier calipers and took some measurements and then compared those measurements against standard o-ring sizes to come up with size 341.

-Z

Its not mixed in all the pages and posts of this thread.

I found that my 720 gloves were easier to mount on the fourth element ellipse system and thoufht it was due to stretchier o-rings. Yesterday I compared the o-rings and found that although the ones from the Fourth Element system maybe stretchier they are larger in diameter.

I used one of the 4E o-rings to mount a 720 glive on an Ultima gloce ring and it was so much easier. I tested the holding strength of the o- ring and found that it retained the glove without any issues or concern of it inadvertently popping off.

I pulled out the vernier calipers and took some measurements and then compared those measurements against standard o-ring sizes to come up with size 341.

-Z

As long as I never have to go through that awful process again, lol. Thanks for the info!

Absolutely yes. Lube them both like you'd lube any other o-ring prior to installation and things go a LOT easier - especially the part where you move the glove around to get everything even after you've installed the gloves on the rings.

I'm giving the Showa 3416s another shot. My first pair somehow were sliced underwater. I didn't notice when it happened, but during my ascent, I felt my hand getting wet. There was a pretty decent slice in a fingertip, so I must have brushed across a barnacle or something. I've been wearing my Ansell AlphaTec 58-735s since then, but I spend most of my dives crawling around rocks and sharp rust looking for tiny photo subjects. I'm hoping for better luck this time.

I remembered to grease the inside O-rings this time. It took less than 90 seconds to install both gloves on my Ultima rings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom