Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It will definitely not seal. I tried that. :(
I usually take a set of Merry's old seals and cut them about three inches wide and attach them to the rings. I just replaced them yesterday as they were latex and finally wore out. I had a set of silicone seals that came with the suit. It seemed ashamed to cut new seals, but I installed them onto the rings, then cut them. They're long enough to touch my wrists but not impede donning and diffing the suit. I may trim them more a bit later.

Did you try it with a single oring or with 2 orings on each cuff? I still have my latex pieces I can use. I'm just curious at this point.

I don't remember, but I do remember feeling water pouring in right after my giant stride.

I like where you're going with that, @swimlikethefish, but without the hard suitside ring supplied with the Waterproof Ultima Dryglove Ring system, the gloves would not snap on and off.

Do I understand you right, or are you saying to just replace the seal (whether trimmed back or not) with an o-ring?

I am talking about this:

Part 1: oval cuff glued to suit. (without inner ring or seal)

Part 2: Ultima suit side ring

Part 3: Ultima glove side ring.

I want to be able to put part 1 and part 2 together without needing the seal between the two pieces. Instead I want to try using the supplied orings that came with the Ultima kit. As stated above I was told this was tried and leaked. After looking closely at the sealing surface I might have to try a narrower oring. As the ones supplied by waterproof are pretty fat. They don't actually seat fully into the grooves. I am curious as to whether using multiple orings instead of a single oring would do it.

Hm. Okay, I gotcha.

Part 1 is not oval. It's called the "PU ring," and is soft and flexible and glued to the suit. There is no inner ring until you put a ring in it... Either the OEM "QCS" hard oval ring made by SiTech, or the Part 2 Ultima suit-side ring, which is round.

Normally there is a wrist seal between those two parts, and it's necessary to create the seal between the PU ring and the QCS or suit-side Ultima ring.

That seal can be either left at stock length, or trimmed back to virtually any length. I like to trim mine back all the way to create a "sealless" wrist.

Your idea seems to want to replace the seal with an o-ring. I don't know what the advantage would be.

The same thing could probably be done with a wrap or two of electrical tape rather than using a seal... I've just always used a seal and trimmed it back like I do in the above video.

In the past I have used your method above. I just thought it would be simpler to just be able to snap it on and off without the need to line up the seal. I've already reassembled the cuffs in the above manner. Maybe next time I'll test some different orings and try to get a waterproof connection without the use of a seal.

Nice! I look forward to your review!

Maybe you could find an o-ring that fits in one of the grooves of the Ultima rings. There's two... For an o-ring, I'd focus on the one that's closer to the diver's elbow and further from the glove.

Maybe it'd simplify that part of the assembly.

In the past I have used your method above. I just thought it would be simpler to just be able to snap it on and off without the need to line up the seal. I've already reassembled the cuffs in the above manner. Maybe next time I'll test some different orings and try to get a waterproof connection without the use of a seal.

The black o-rings that come with the system are pretty firm...perhaps similar size o-rings made from silicone similar to the orange ones that are used to seal the glove ring to cuff ring interface might work better.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom