Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question on the 720 glove, apologies if already covered as the thread is a bit long.

Are inner gloves used under like some other gloves or can they be worn bare in temps down to say 50 deg?

How snug of fit works well? A snug 720 with no inner glove has nice tactile feel but is a larger size better to allow for more air or an inner glove?

Or am I going to have to try them and see? Might need some spare mounting rings.

I tried the 720s without an inner glove a couple of times. They were OK in upper 50s water but at 50 and below I needed to wear two pair of liners. My hands get pretty cold, but I've been using 58-725s and 379s, which are a bit roomier. I'm going to try my new 3416s tomorrow. They feel very thick compared to the 720s. Temps here will be in the low 50s so it should be a good test for my next trip to God's Pocket in April.

I dive my 720's without any liner down to 50 just fine. Below that I use a Burton Power Stretch Liner. The little white liner fabric of the glove works fine at keeping your hand warm. As far as sizing, I have a set loaded that I can put a liner into. I just dive the same size year round. No need to change glove sizes just to use a liner. I just set it and forget it. They are a very capable glove. I am on my original pair, 16 months and 128 dives on them. Not one issue.

Question on the 720 glove, apologies if already covered as the thread is a bit long.

Are inner gloves used under like some other gloves or can they be worn bare in temps down to say 50 deg?

How snug of fit works well? A snug 720 with no inner glove has nice tactile feel but is a larger size better to allow for more air or an inner glove?

Or am I going to have to try them and see? Might need some spare mounting rings.

I looked into the cost of spare glove rings a year ago, and they were kind of cost prohibitive. I recently lucked out and traded a set of the 4th Element Ellipse system for a used but in great shape set of Ultima DGS and the awesome guy threw in a spare set of Ultima glove rings he had laying around. I will surely put them to good use.

-Z

I dive my 720's without any liner down to 50 just fine. Below that I use a Burton Power Stretch Liner. The little white liner fabric of the glove works fine at keeping your hand warm. As far as sizing, I have a set loaded that I can put a liner into. I just dive the same size year round. No need to change glove sizes just to use a liner. I just set it and forget it. They are a very capable glove. I am on my original pair, 16 months and 128 dives on them. Not one issue.

I concur! The 720s fit great, look great, and are very warm compared to latex or butyl rubber gloves all on their own. They're rugged and inexpensive and can even be turned inside-out for quick drying should they get wet or sweaty. The acrylic liner (vs. cotton in the PVC gloves) dries super fast and feels good on the hands.

I've only looked for alternatives because they seem to have a short lifespan in my commercial diving world. Apparently oysters and barnacles will slice them and give them a working life of maybe 3-4 dives on average.

If you're not chiseling oysters or using an underwater chainsaw, there's no need to look any further.

They're the "bar" to which I compare all other gloves.

The new Ansell 58-735s are very similar in materials and build quality - but have a different, stubbier fit. I'm honestly not a fan compared to the 720s, but they ARE tougher due to the use of a stiffer, more durable liner... So they may be the hot ticket for commercial work. Still testing.

Reactions: Zef
I've called around looking for an additional set of glove rings. They range in cost from 100 to 120 dollars. At that price I might just buy a full kit.

Talk to manager-Chris at Dive Right In Scuba. Ask for the DEEP SOUTH DIVERS discount. It doesn't always amount to much, but every bit helps.

We do a lot of business with them and think the world of them.

Please remind him to start carrying the SHOWA 720s in stock. I can't believe they're still recommending the SHOWA 495s.

Reactions: Zef
If you're not chiseling oysters or using an underwater chainsaw, there's no need to look any further.

Seajay, you may want to double check which end of the underwater chainsaw you are hanging on to.
:poke::wink:

-Z

Hahahaaa... Oh, you're not supposed to be holding the spinny end? :D :D :D

First dive in the 3416s today.

I pounded on oysters and barnacles all day. Not a mark on them. I mean... Not one. Their ruggedness is nothing shy of absolutely impressive.

I donned them and recognized that awesome SHOWA fit right off the bat. These run a bit snugger than other SHOWA gloves, but they're stretchier... So I'm more poured into them than actually wearing them. They fit snugly and beautifully and are practically a second skin.

Underneath I wore a set of Fourth Element Xerotherm glove liners. The water was a comparatively balmy 57 degrees, but the air was 41 and pouring rain, with a strong wind from the north... Constant 20 with gusts to 30. Absolutely miserable... And so gray it was almost nighttime... So the additional wamth felt good and was welcome.

Underwater, their performance was impressive... And great-looking too. I really like the black, although I admit that they look rather unassuming. They don't look like anything special - but that in itself is pretty cool.

Okay, they're tough... And fit great, if a little snug.

..But my biggest impression was... Numbness. As in... Zero tactile feel.

I almost dropped tools about half a dozen times - because I couldn't feel them to manipulate them. All of my tools are cave-knotted to bolt snaps, and operating the snaps was like... Impossible. I mean... Zero feel whatsoever. Awful... Like worse than PVC gloves.

On the other hand, these things are WARM. I had absolutely no sensation of the chilly water whatsoever, which was really, really nice.

Tomorrow I'm going to ditch the undergloves and see if I can trade some of that warmth for some tactile feel.

When I was done working I hopped out and rinsed off, then swapped my rings loaded with the 3416s for my ones loaded with Ansell 58-735s so that I could rinse my gear gloved and sealed... In the driving, 41° rain. The Ansells were notably colder, and much larger... Which was welcome for a few minutes but no less clumsy than the numb SHOWA 3416s. As per Ansell gloves (in both sizes that I could possibly fit into) I had a very odd sensation that the glove was coming off my hand the whole time I wore them. Maybe I need to set the rings further into the glove or something... It's a disconcerting feeling.

There's things to like about all of these gloves... The 3416s, the 58-735s, and of course the bar-setting 720s.

I'll post a review after tomorrow's work undergloveless in the 3416s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom