Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The typical leak on the Antares system is where the glove ring meets the suit ring. Usually occurring due to improper seating when putting them on. Or, if the glove was tight, when you reached outwards.

Thank you, that's what I was hoping..

Quick question about the Si tech Antares system. I know this isn't that thread, but most had to come from that system to the Ultimas (I believe anyway).

Was it the oval ring that leaked through to the inside of the suit (wet wrist / arm), or did the glove leak through to the seal (wet hand)?

I hope that I'm explaining that right.

Thanks

The sealing o-rings on the Antares glove rings are not very robust and despite the tabs it is possible for things to not be lined up properly when pressing the two sides together. If things were not lined up perfectly or there was any strain (lateral pressure) on the system from movement of the wrist to tugging of the glove, the system would leak.

There were folks who could get a good seal consistently and those that could not...and basically one could look at the issue in 2 ways:

1. Not getting a good seal is operator error as the user needs to ensure proper alignment of the system and what not.

or

2. Si-tech designed a system that works well in theory but in all practicality it was too easy for folks to misalign or otherwise cause the system to leak.

Another concern that divers had were the locking tabs of the glove rings were weak point...unless packed carefully they were subject to being bent or broken which rendered the system useless. Again one could apply the 2 paradigms above to this as well but...

...In the end many people abandoned the system because they did not want to deal with the hassle it had caused them...there are other systems on the market that were more robust, easier to use, and provided a consistent seal without much intervention/focus of the user. The Waterproof Ultima DGS is one such system....as long as you keep any excess glove, underglove, or undersuit material free of the sealing surfaces when attaching the glove rings to the cuff rings, it is press and go.

Of all the systems we (my wife and I) have used with si-tech cuff rings, the system that we have the confidence in to provide us a consistent dry, hassle free dive experience is the Ultima system.

-Z

The problem I had with the Antares system was the tabs. If I reached for anything, they would pop off, flooding my suit. Even on the surface, I couldn't keep them closed unless I didn't move my hands. Once I did, they were off.

I used the Diving Concepts rings for many years with varying success. The Ultima system, based on the Diving Concepts rings but larger has been the only consistently dry rings I have found. I haven't had issues with the Showa 720s, Ansell AlphaTec 58-735s, or the Showa 379s. My new SHOWA 3416s will arrive in a few days. I'm hoping these will be the last gloves I buy for a while. :)

I'll take a pair of Ansell AlphaTec 58-735s to God's Pocket next month as they are large enough to accommodate two pairs of liners easily. My hands were pretty cold there last year.

What's your favorite gloves so far, @MaxBottomtime ?

Have you ever tried the KUBI rings? After having so much good luck with the Ultimas, I doubt I'll ever bother with them, but if I were to try something else, that'd be what I'd go for.

I've heard good and bad things.

I like the fit of the 720s. They stretch easily enough to attach to the rings. (unless you use small gloves like @laikabear ) :)
The 58-725s and 379s are more roomy.with better grip surface, but I don't really notice them underwater. Merry had two leaks with her 720s. Once, she cut them with her knife. The second time we couldn't figure out why. It's possible that I left a small wrinkle when I put them on her rings. I'm hoping the stretchier 3416s will lay flatter under the O-ring.

The sealing o-rings on the Antares glove rings are not very robust and despite the tabs it is possible for things to not be lined up properly when pressing the two sides together. If things were not lined up perfectly or there was any strain (lateral pressure) on the system from movement of the wrist to tugging of the glove, the system would leak.

There were folks who could get a good seal consistently and those that could not...and basically one could look at the issue in 2 ways:

1. Not getting a good seal is operator error as the user needs to ensure proper alignment of the system and what not.

or

2. Si-tech designed a system that works well in theory but in all practicality it was too easy for folks to misalign or otherwise cause the system to leak.

Another concern that divers had were the locking tabs of the glove rings were weak point...unless packed carefully they were subject to being bent or broken which rendered the system useless. Again one could apply the 2 paradigms above to this as well but...

...In the end many people abandoned the system because they did not want to deal with the hassle it had caused them...there are other systems on the market that were more robust, easier to use, and provided a consistent seal without much intervention/focus of the user. The Waterproof Ultima DGS is one such system....as long as you keep any excess glove, underglove, or undersuit material free of the sealing surfaces when attaching the glove rings to the cuff rings, it is press and go.

Of all the systems we (my wife and I) have used with si-tech cuff rings, the system that we have the confidence in to provide us a consistent dry, hassle free dive experience is the Ultima system.

-Z

Thanks. My question was really focused on the cuff side of the anares system. I ordered the PU rings to glue in, a pair of silicone seals, and the antares cuff that clips the seal in. That way I can use it right away once glued and just use wet gloves.

I can order the Ultimas later (which is the plan).

Does anyone have issues reaching valves with the Ultimas (specifically on doubles)??

Thanks. My question was really focused on the cuff side of the anares system. I ordered the PU rings to glue in, a pair of silicone seals, and the antares cuff that clips the seal in. That way I can use it right away once glued and just use wet gloves.

I can order the Ultimas later (which is the plan).

Does anyone have issues reaching valves with the Ultimas (specifically on doubles)??

I was looking at the Antares manual it seems like they provide alternative directions to install/use the QCS oval system without gluing the PU ring in place if installing on a drysuit with glued on latex seals....of course one would not have the advantage of the user changeable wrist seals if your seal suffers a casualty but the system can be used as base for the Antares glove system without permanent installation by gluing the PU ring. Likewise, the Ultima DGS comes with similar instructions to mount their system to a suit with glued on latex seals to gain the benefit of their dryglove system without the need to glue in or even use the PU ring or any components of the si-tech system.

-Z

I was looking at the Antares manual it seems like they provide alternative directions to install/use the QCS oval system without gluing the PU ring in place if installing on a drysuit with glued on latex seals....of course one would not have the advantage of the user changeable wrist seals if your seal suffers a casualty but the system can be used as base for the Antares glove system without permanent installation by gluing the PU ring. Likewise, the Ultima DGS comes with similar instructions to mount their system to a suit with glued on latex seals to gain the benefit of their dryglove system without the need to glue in or even use the PU ring or any components of the si-tech system.

-Z

I did see that, and thanks. The problem is that I have neoprene wrist seals, so if I have cut and glue anything in, it might as well be something that I can use to replace busted seals at a later date.

Reactions: Zef
So I have been running my suit without seals, just the gloves for over a year. No problems at all. I originally put a latex seal on the ring, installed it into the oval cuff, then trimmed the latex seal. Everything is hunky dory. I took the thing apart today. Then had an interesting idea...

Has anyone tried to use the orings from the Ultima kit installed on the ring, then slid into the oval cuff? Think it will seal with just the orings and with no latex or silicone seal between the two surfaces? I looked closely at it. It appears it might be sufficient to make the waterproof seal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom