Ukraine crisis and cost of helium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With the way everything is going up since the fall… I’m locked in for a few more months on a yearly rate… might just snag every bottle I can find and fill my banks with He! Set for a few years of CC diving (roughly works out to 1.20USD /cuft including bottle lease)

_R

Here they make everything more expensive with the war as argument. Prices of fuel are extremely high now, never had before, all supermarkets are out of stock with sunfloweroil, they say bread will rise a price of 5-6 euro per bread, all food is getting more and more expensive, etc.

At least twice that, the 540 ton figure is semiconductor grade neon production, actual world production figures are hard to find without paying. But probably not enough helium is produced as a byproduct to directly impact the cost of helium.

There is about 1/3 as much helium as neon in the air. Ok, neon is 0.0018% and helium is 0.0005%. So you need a truly enormous scale to produce significant amounts of any noble gas but argon.

Apparently some ridiculous percentage of world semiconductor grade neon production is in Ukraine, due to Ukaine doing the secondary distillation of the noble gasses from the massive air separators that Russian steel plants have. And neon is apparently critically important for lasers in modern chip production.

Presumably the Ukranian plants would also produce krypton and xenon, may or may not do helium when they were operating

Prices will take a hit. However, as a country I love is under attack... He price is not what's on my mind.

Prices will take a hit. However, as a country I love is under attack... He price is not what's on my mind.

Sure but it is not just one country that is under attack. Repercussions of this go well beyond the borders into other countries in the form of refugee migration, economic and industrial turmoil as well as possible environmental implications that would effect us in ways that we have no even realized. This is why what is happening is so tragic and the whole point of this post was to understand how it can effect us in so many areas.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom