UK tanks to USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkUK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
This is a question to all the British ex-pats living in the States, or anyone on the board who might know the answer!

A friend of mine has moved to Florida and wants to take his 15-litre, and two 12-litre cylinders, with him. They are Faber spun-steel cylinders, five years old, but all up to date on all tests.

What he was wondering is what the tests are in the US, and whether his UK test certs will be valid, or whether he will have to get them retested in the US immediately.

Any other probs with importing cylinders into the US from the UK that anyone knows of?

Mark

MarkUK:
This is a question to all the British ex-pats living in the States, or anyone on the board who might know the answer!

A friend of mine has moved to Florida and wants to take his 15-litre, and two 12-litre cylinders, with him. They are Faber spun-steel cylinders, five years old, but all up to date on all tests.

What he was wondering is what the tests are in the US, and whether his UK test certs will be valid, or whether he will have to get them retested in the US immediately.

Any other probs with importing cylinders into the US from the UK that anyone knows of?

Mark

.....well, for starters, he'll likely have to replace all his tank valves, it's illegal to use tank valves lacking 'burst-disks', which is the norm in Europe, I believe.
I'll let the board experts chime in on this, but it's my understanding it's usually not possible to transfer tank certifications internationally....... it's not a simple matter of getting fresh hydros/visuals in the US....the US D.O.T. manufacturing 'exemptions' have to already be stamped onto the tank from the monent the tank was manufactured...they can't be added to a tank 5 years later.
Fabers are fairly common here in the US, at least with respect to steel tanks, although the vast majority of tanks here are aluminum....but I think US Fabers have different 'exemptions' than do their European ones.
....given the freight expense, the new valves expense, and the high probability the European tanks cannot be made 'legal' here in the US, it probably makes sense to sell the tanks in Britain and roll that money into new/used "US" tanks.

Karl

Karl pretty much sums it up. But cylinders can be qualified after the fact - however it will cost you more than the cylinder is worth. Offer your buddy a few beers and in return you will store them during his time in the states.

One comment exemptions have a time limit and must renewed. Others are made under a permit which does need to be renewed. When an exemption expires so does the cylinder - no matter the condition. Many people have been sweating out PST renewing the exemption for their previous cylinders.

Tank threads on European tanks are different than those on US tanks, but some are very close. Replacing a Euro valve with a US one that seems to fit could result in a catastpophic failure.

Generally, cylinder testing facilities will not do Hydro tests on tanks without DOT stampings; they have no approved proceedures for doing so.

Cheers guys, will pass on the info – looks like I just got a few more cylinders for a case of beer. Deal!

Just a question – Scared Silly, you say that certain exemptions run out, whatever the condition of the cylinder. Does that mean that cylinders have a life limit???? I have a 12-litre steel cylinder that is 16 years old, but it is in good condition and is always hydro-ed, etc, on time and it is fine. I'd be arsed off if it had to be binned just because of its age...

Thanks again, fellas

Mark

MarkUK:
Cheers guys, will pass on the info – looks like I just got a few more cylinders for a case of beer. Deal!

Just a question – Scared Silly, you say that certain exemptions run out, whatever the condition of the cylinder. Does that mean that cylinders have a life limit???? I have a 12-litre steel cylinder that is 16 years old, but it is in good condition and is always hydro-ed, etc, on time and it is fine. I'd be arsed off if it had to be binned just because of its age...

Thanks again, fellas

Mark

In the US, exemptions are given for 4 years at a time.. has nothing to do with the tank... is a paperwork issue. If the exemption is not renewed... there goes your tank. Active companies would more than likely renew it, but PST went out of business and there is the problem. It does allow, if they don't renew it, for the tanks to be worthless.

A ha... I see. It isn't so much the tank has a time limit on it, it is the paperwork that needs doing. If you get the paperwork done every four years, then your tank could last for ages, if you neglect to do it, you're screwed. Typical beaucratic bollox, but there you go!

Cheers for that

Mark

Just for clarity. As Puffer Fish said it is the mfg. that has to do the paper work not the individual cylinder owner. The cylinder owner has nothing to do with the exemption - other than suffer if the mfg. does not renew it.

Puffer Fish - follow this link to some fun work I did with Puffer Fish and their skin patterns.

Scared Silly:
Just for clarity. As Puffer Fish said it is the mfg. that has to do the paper work not the individual cylinder owner. The cylinder owner has nothing to do with the exemption - other than suffer if the mfg. does not renew it.

Puffer Fish - follow this link to some fun work I did with Puffer Fish and their skin patterns.
Thanks, nice to see my brothers and sisters are helping the world of science.

although exemptions can be renewed by someone other than the manufacturer... they doesn't apply to this circumstance. you can ignore the exemption bit.

otherwise the advice is sound. you can't make UK tanks legal for use in the States.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom