UAE East Coast Temperatures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beautiful specimen

glad you guys enjoyed

after waiting almost two years, I finally found and procured a reasonably priced used olympus tg-6
now I can finally focus closer than the 50 centimeters of action cameras

housing and lens threads will soon be in dire shape if I don't do anything

doesn't feel smooth when screwing in

I used a soft brush to wipe away some grit and a towel to wipe grime

perhaps apply grease to threads?

Which housing do you have?

Grease and grit = abrasive, make sure you clean everything well before putting it all together.

Pt-059

Sprayed some contact cleaner onto a towel
Removed all the grime from housing, lens threads

Still didn't feel smooth threading on

So I sprayed some PTFE quick-dry lubricant onto a towel and carefully applied it to housing threads

Grease may be longer-term solution but it's messy IME

Can easily reapply the teflon as/when needed

Now lens attach smoothly

Back with Barracuda on Friday for a long boat trip to Inchcape 1 and then Sharm rocks. Boat didn't get back to FIMC until 13:20.

We arrived around 09:10 at the Inch 1 mooring as as another boat was leaving, perfectly timed :)

Shooting wide angle with the TG5 again but the damn thing decided that it wanted the date and time entered for some reason. Not what I wanted at 30m :mad: took me around 10 mins to sort it out.

Nice seahorse though on the starboard side in soft coral.

full.jpg

Lots of jellyfish in the safety stop zone.

When I surfaced there were three other boats on the line!

Sharm rocks was a nice easy chilled dive. I had forgotten that I'd changed the lens on the D7100 to the 60mm, in fact I should have used it on the first dive. My plan was to find a friendly pipefish for my perfect pipefish shot. I do have one but it's cropped. I would have preferred the 105mm lens for this dive.

Our of four pipefish this one was pretty chilled and didn't mind being photographed.

full.jpg

Water temps still 23C from surface to bottom.

A rare morning driving to the east coast without the sun rising and blinding me due to very low cloud all the way to Fujairah.

There was a slight breeze when we left the marina at 08:30 to Paradise Reef just off Kalba, but by the time we surfaced from the first dive it was getting choppy with lots of whitecaps. The ride to the next dive site (Car Cemetery 2) was very wet in particular for those not wearing drysuits.

Water temps still 23C from surface to bottom, and lots of jellyfish around especially thick around the deco / safety stop depths.

full.jpg

Vis reduced at CC2 to about 2-3m and we came across a nice Chelidonura livida moving quickly on the sand,

full

Just glad we did not travel further north today, a longer boat ride would not have been comfortable for some.

We had your experience yesterday. Today, albeit a little current, there were no waves, swells, or white caps.
Yesterday, by second dive (around eleven am), the wind start picking up and the water was a bit choppy.
Fortunately by afternoon winds were diverted and flat tops were back - so we did a night dive at Inchcape One.

But it was cold. While I had on a three millimeter wetsuit and a five/four/three hood, it got a bit chilly towards the last fifteen minutes of a dive. I brought along a full-body poncho with hood - that made boat commutes much more bearable.

I actually left Abu Dhabi Thursday morning, did three quiet dives as it was a weekday, four on Friday, and one this morning.

I think my two highlights were finding that stargazer again and a juvenile (pygmy?) cuttlefish.
The cuttlefish was no longer than one (not two) section of an average-sized index finger.

Photographs to follow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom