U.S.Air charging extra for Scuba Gear packed in otherwise allowable bags...?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
This, too, came up on another thread, and I want to expose this to general awareness. I called U.S.Airlines this morning - 800-428-4322, Option 4 for International travel, then requested a Supervisor, to discuss this issue....

TDunbar once bubbled...
One other point on scuba branded luggage.......

USAirways (perhaps some others) are adding a $50 charge if you have dive gear. On my last trip to Cozumel several in our group got hit with the charge when we checked in in Charlotte, others didn't. Some disputed their credit card bill when it came; some didn't. The agent said it was for the expensive gear inside, but when asked if the charge included some insurance, the agent said no.

She consulted the Charlotte desk by phone and confirmed that the U.S. agent should not have charged extra for Scuba gear packed inside bags that met their rules and policies for linear deminsions and weight, and that anyone so charged should file complaints. The problem seems to lie in their vague polices as published in their web site: :upset:

"Special items such as pets, surfboards, bicycles, scuba equipment, etc. are not included in the customer's free baggage allowance and are subject to an extra charge." Flights to the Caymans are exempt from this, by the way.

I hope that you U.S.Air Frequent Flyers will object tothe airlines Consumer Affairs that the phrase is not only redundant but open to interpretation of the agent. A surfboard, bicycle or Scuba gear that fits inside an otherwise allowed bag should not be charged extra; of course, the surfboard, bicycle or Scuba gear that does not fit within exisiting paramaters can be charged extra under other parts of their policy, so these do not need to be covered in the vague way. Only pets need to be covered in that statement. :fire:

And I worry that if you U.S.Air flyers put up with this, other airlines hungry for income will see it as a way to boost revenue.

thanks, don

Obvious solution: Don't tell them you have scuba gear. I only tell the TSA people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom