TX100 first stage problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DutchDown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This morning, while preparing for a dive, I hooked up my tank and my Tx40 second began freeflowing. I thought it was some grit or something in the second stage. Nothing there. So I removed it from the first stage and re-pressurized the regulator. To my surprise the TX100 second began freeflowing which indicates it's a first stage problem instead of a second. This is a 1 year old reg with only about 20 dives on it. It was in the house and warm until last night when I put it in the car. Temperatures didn't srop below freezing last night and the reg was dry so I am not inclined to think the freeflow was due to ice. And since it occured instantly upon pressurization I don't think it was because of condensation.
I'll take the reg in for servicing when I return from my Red Sea trip. What I'd like to know are the possible reasons for a first stage freeflow under the conditions I outlined.

Thanks

Phil

DutchDown:
This morning, while preparing for a dive, I hooked up my tank and my Tx40 second began freeflowing. I thought it was some grit or something in the second stage. Nothing there. So I removed it from the first stage and re-pressurized the regulator. To my surprise the TX100 second began freeflowing which indicates it's a first stage problem instead of a second. This is a 1 year old reg with only about 20 dives on it. It was in the house and warm until last night when I put it in the car. Temperatures didn't srop below freezing last night and the reg was dry so I am not inclined to think the freeflow was due to ice. And since it occured instantly upon pressurization I don't think it was because of condensation.
I'll take the reg in for servicing when I return from my Red Sea trip. What I'd like to know are the possible reasons for a first stage freeflow under the conditions I outlined.

Thanks

Phil
What did you have connected to the 1st when you removed the 2nd and fired up the reg?

I had the spg, drysuit inflator hose and bc inflator hose on the first. The inflator hoses weren't connected to the suit or bc. I put in the port plug in place of the octo before I tried again.

Do you have an IP gauge? It sounds like you still have a second hooked up to the 1st, what you need to do is ideally connect an IP gauge to one of your inflator hoses and see what it reads.

I don't have one, but luckily I can get it serviced tomorrow while I wait, which is handy since I had planned to take it with me to Sharm. What I don't understand is how the IP would suddenly change so drastically. You are right...I kept one second attached with the idea or seeing whether or not the problem was in the first or second stage.

IP goes up over time, dunno why, i'm sure someone does. But i've been told that its set a little low at service so that as it drifts up it has further to go before it causes the exact problem you are talking about. Mind you if it is the IP it should start to seep air rather than a complete all out free flow and keep getting worse over time.

spurtill:
IP goes up over time, dunno why, i'm sure someone does. But i've been told that its set a little low at service so that as it drifts up it has further to go before it causes the exact problem you are talking about. Mind you if it is the IP it should start to seep air rather than a complete all out free flow and keep getting worse over time.

Uh, I beg to differ. It absolutely should NOT. If the service tech does everything right, and has the time or the proper tools to make the new HP seat to take a set, this shouldnt happen. My Apeks regs are going on about a year since I last serviced them (and adjusted the IP), and I set them up the other day, hooked up an IP gauge to them, and guess what, same as what I set them to when I serviced them. IP creep is not a good thing, it is not normal, and the IP does not go up normally over time.

I would have liked to see him take both 2nd stages off and leave the air turned on for a while :)

I KNEW you were thinking it deepblue!

DutchDown:

Thanks

Phil

Phil,

It sounds like you have a case of IP creep. Your HP seat seal isn't right. Maybe the seat has shifted or something. It needs to be taken apart to fix it.

R..

Well, this is interesting, there are I think two other places that this leak can come through. I expect this is using the “balance chamber” that brings IP gas to the backside of the HP valve stem, if this is the case then there is an O-ring around that stem that if leaky would leak into the IP. And then you have the O-ring that seals up the HP valve stem when you screw it down. Now why this regulator would just start leaking, I would guess something other than gas got into the HP chamber (salt water?) and crystallized something that is now stuck on the HP stem seat. O-ring leaks here start very slowly and continue to grow slowly as the gas cuts the ring as it leaks. If anything is on that stem seat it can get bad quickly or quicker anyway.

That “balance chamber” thing just looks like a stupid idea or (I am missing the point?), I need to give that some more thought…

Think I will be staying with my DS4 and DST regulators, I guess everyone has to offer fixes for non-problems to sell more stuff…

Truva

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom