Two straps, one tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter posted what I was thinking.
It depends on the strap, I have my SP one set, and It stays put, never slipped .. dont even wet it before using it any more (still check it though)

From a design perspective 2 straps will keep the cylindrical positioned much better. Support features can serve to cradle and align the cylinder but binding it down in 2 spots is hard to beat.

The basic standard cam band works well enough but a new one that is stiff or a diver lacking good technique will have a hard time getting predictable results. In that case they double the chances of getting one of them good and tight.

There are a number of other buckles out there including the mentioned Scubapro product that take the technique out of it all. With those you will get the single strap predictably secure and not need to worry and a breakaway cylinder.

Pete

of all the bc's i have seen, the ones with a single strap all have a hard plastic bp type device in them.

the reason i think a lot of the people loose the tanks is because of improper instruction at the time of purchase. when we do OW we teach the students to wet the bc strap before attaching to the tank. the belt will loosen up after it is wet allowing the tank to " slip " out. wetting the strap and checking for tightness but picking up two inches and shaking the tank and bc will let you see if it is loose. also the strap will eventualy streach over time and will need to be tightened up.

that being said i dont think there is much of any advantage of a single over a double strap bc. it is just what you like to use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom