Two Japanese divers found alive off Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DAN offers a kit (currently out of stock?): New and improved! Includes 6’ orange safety sausage (with lpi attachment, dump valve and reflective strip), Wind Storm whistle, signal mirror and chemical lightstick. Accessories are incorporated into sausage’s base; clips to BC. Dimensions: 7.5” wide x 3.0” high (rolled); 7.5” wide x 72.0” high (unrolled). And I still like the orange-red

MoonWrasse:
I don't think it was a case of floation marker or not - but rather that they lacked a mirror or signal device which would probably be easier to see in the open seas from a longer distance, aiding search efforts.[/I]

Mirrors, IMO, are a waste of time. In big or even moderate swells, a mirror is quite hard to see. It also relies on not only the presence of a sun (waves and wind ofte equals clouds), but for the boat and sun to be at the correct angles.

The best way to drift dive in choppy conditions is with a surface float from the *start* of the dive, so that the boat knows exactly where the divers are and which way they are heading. Every diver should also carry an SMB in case they get separated from the DM, and also knows to take off a fin and hold it up in the air, as a fallback. And carry a loud whistle. And the briefing should mention that if divers dont stay with the DM, they risk being in their own private screening of Open Water (*that* keeps a group together like you wouldnt believe! :D )

Vandit

vkalia:
Mirrors, IMO, are a waste of time. In big or even moderate swells, a mirror is quite hard to see. It also relies on not only the presence of a sun (waves and wind ofte equals clouds), but for the boat and sun to be at the correct angles.

The best way to drift dive in choppy conditions is with a surface float from the *start* of the dive, so that the boat knows exactly where the divers are and which way they are heading. Every diver should also carry an SMB in case they get separated from the DM, and also knows to take off a fin and hold it up in the air, as a fallback. And carry a loud whistle. And the briefing should mention that if divers dont stay with the DM, they risk being in their own private screening of Open Water (*that* keeps a group together like you wouldnt believe! :D )

Vandit

SMB are excellent tools. Though, I highly discourage negative reinforcement with new divers WHEN an excellent postive reinforcement will work much better. The "Open Water" movie reference is not only tacky but counter-productive. Give divers a reason WHY they should do something, and make it a practical and understandable connection, so it makes sense to them to follow.

Also as many gadgets as you can have at your disposal the better. Remember any mouth blown whistle (no matter how loud) has very little upwind distance, and if you are bobbing between swells over your head the sound is constantly redirected. An airhorn attached to your regulator has a longer distance some claim 1/2 mile and more. Environmental and weather conditions will always have direct impact on your ability to draw attention, airborne search and rescue craft have missed entire floats filled with people on the open ocean in noontime sun. Reflective devices, even your mask, can be used at times. Remember you aren't necessarily competeing with the refective water surface because your frequency and pattern of signaling can be made to differ dramatically from the ebb and flow of the waves. The combination of devices in your repertoire will allow you to work every opportunity and every angle.

vkalia:
... the briefing should mention that if divers dont stay with the DM, they risk being in their own private screening of Open Water (*that* keeps a group together like you wouldnt believe! :D )
:rofl: I bet that is effective. I like the positive reinforcement idea better though.

Willie

DandyDon:
DAN offers a kit (currently out of stock?): New and improved! Includes 6’ orange safety sausage (with lpi attachment, dump valve and reflective strip), Wind Storm whistle, signal mirror and chemical lightstick. Accessories are incorporated into sausage’s base; clips to BC. Dimensions: 7.5” wide x 3.0” high (rolled); 7.5” wide x 72.0” high (unrolled). And I still like the orange-red

Hmmm. Never seen those Don. I'll take a look.

http://www.halcyon.net/mc/dlr.shtml
Halcyon Diver's Life Raft, folded into its optional pouch (available separately), butt mounted to the bottom edge of the BP with shock cord (there's no freakin' way to stuff all that cleanly into the MC Pouch!) and clipped-off to the rear D-ring of the crotch strap. A must have and invaluable for remote dive sites where the current is ripping. . . (http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=762757&postcount=19 )

DiverBuoy:
SMB are excellent tools. Though, I highly discourage negative reinforcement with new divers WHEN an excellent postive reinforcement will work much better. The "Open Water" movie reference is not only tacky but counter-productive. Give divers a reason WHY they should do something, and make it a practical and understandable connection, so it makes sense to them to follow.

Let's keep it in perspective, shall we? There is a reasonable middle ground between always going "you screw up, you die" and always going "happy happy joy joy." There is no point frightening people, but there is no point in glossing over everything either.

It's all in the delivery and tone of voice used when you say it. Say it with a smile, and people realize that you are exaggerating, but get the point.

Positive reinforcement is nice for the most part - but at some point, you have to make it clear to divers that failure to perform some tasks has negative consequences, and explain what those negative consequences are. Provided it is done in a reasonable and balanced manner (ie, "this is what can go wrong, this is what you do to prevent it, and this is what you do just-in-case - see, it is easy to avoid, all it requires is a little bit of attention on your part"), it work well.

Incidentally - why do you assume it is just "new divers" we are talking about here?

Vandit

Deleted

vkalia:
Let's keep it in perspective, shall we? There is a reasonable middle ground between always going "you screw up, you die" and always going "happy happy joy joy." There is no point frightening people, but there is no point in glossing over everything either.

It's all in the delivery and tone of voice used when you say it. Say it with a smile, and people realize that you are exaggerating, but get the point.

Positive reinforcement is nice for the most part - but at some point, you have to make it clear to divers that failure to perform some tasks has negative consequences, and explain what those negative consequences are. Provided it is done in a reasonable and balanced manner (ie, "this is what can go wrong, this is what you do to prevent it, and this is what you do just-in-case - see, it is easy to avoid, all it requires is a little bit of attention on your part"), it work well.

Incidentally - why do you assume it is just "new divers" we are talking about here?

Vandit

I really don't know you, giving you the benefit of the doubt, I'll assume for now that we can still be the best of friends. So brushing over any apparent personal attacks I'll focus on your rebuttal.

All I stated in my point was negative reinforcement doesn't go half as far as positive reinforcement. I didn't say an instructor should never correct a student, not by a long shot. When you help a diver to realize the VALUE and BENEFITS of WHY to do something a certain way, it sinks in and pays off. And I never implied glossing anything over. An instructor should tell a student directly and tactfully what they did wrong, why it was wrong, what might happen if they continued to do it that way, and then reinforcing how to do it right, this is called constructive criticism. What I won't do is cap a lesson with an illustration about getting eaten by a shark. I also made no assumptions about scubaboard readership ... my post says was spoken respectfully to student divers.

I had to laugh a bit when I read your comments about speaking with soft tone and a smile. The first image that came to my mind was a pet owner saying in a soft sweet voice to their puppy "you stupid woopid mutty wutty, you are smelly welly and you make me want to pukey wookie, yes you do, yes you do, wes oo doo, wittle puppy wuppy." Works for dogs not people.

In conclusion I'd like to place things into perspective ... you expressed a view, I expressed a dissenting view, there was nothing more to it. I guess we can agree to disagree on a few things.

DiverBuoy:
I really don't know you, giving you the benefit of the doubt, I'll assume for now that we can still be the best of friends. So brushing over any apparent personal attacks I'll focus on your rebuttal.

Personal attacks? Nah, there were no personal attacks intended whatsoever (I used up all my aggression on rec.scuba when I was in my 20s :p). Sorry if it came across that way - I tend to have a somewhat cynical/sarcastic natural writing style, no offense intended. Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt :)

All I stated in my point was negative reinforcement doesn't go half as far as positive reinforcement.

And my point is that IMO, you cannot make blanket assertions like that. Mostly, positive reinforcement does make it more enjoyable to learn, but in some instances, not conveying what happens if they *dont* follow the rules is more powerful (and important for the diver to know).

Hypothetically, let's say if you perform behavior A, you get a benefit of 5/100. On the other hand, if you dont perform behavior A, you get a negative benefit (or damage) of -70/100. If you stress *only* the positive reinforcement, you dont convey the entire picture. Maybe someone feels he will get a benefit of 20/100 by not doing behavior A ... what then? Unless he knows about the negative aspect, there is nothing preventing him from doing so.

Sometimes, the biggest reason "WHY" is "it prevents you from significantly increasing your chances of getting hurt". This tends to glossed over significantly with modern-day training. This leads to divers who are not fully aware of the risks of not following the proper procedures - and lets face it: there are *lots* of people who, given a chance, dive without properly checking to see if their buddy is nearby, who dont always pay attention to briefings, who go off on their own, etc.

Take diving with a buddy. Yes, you can stress that it makes diving safer, more fun and more enjoyable (that's answer D on the exams, innit?). That's nice - until some guy thinks "I'll have more fun by myself." I did that - went off solo on my 8th dive overall (I was a classic example of someone who *needed* to be reined in). OTOH, tell the same guy all the above, and add the fact that virtually every serious diver incident has involved buddy separation somewhere in the whole thing, and all they have to do to prevent that is stay with a buddy -- *now* we are getting somewhere. Now the diver knows why and why not, as well. That's an *informed* diver. I like informed divers.

As trainers, it is our responsibility to give student divers a *balanced picture* - and that includes talking about the risks, what can increase the chances of bad things happening and how to prevent them.

Lastly, what is effective for one person may not be effective for another. I dare say we get a very different profile of diver than you - and that may also affect our opinions.

I had to laugh a bit when I read your comments about speaking with soft tone and a smile. The first image that came to my mind was a pet owner saying in a soft sweet voice to their puppy "you stupid woopid mutty wutty, you are smelly welly and you make me want to pukey wookie, yes you do, yes you do, wes oo doo, wittle puppy wuppy." Works for dogs not people.

Ummm... ok. And it is with a smile, not soft tone. I dont think I do soft tones... :)

In conclusion I'd like to place things into perspective ... you expressed a view, I expressed a dissenting view, there was nothing more to it. I guess we can agree to disagree on a few things.

Well, we can indeed agree to disagree. I know where you are coming from, and for the most part, I agree with it. I just think there are a few instances where you need to stress what happens if you dont as well as what happens if you do.

And if I am ever in your neck of the woods, I'll pick up the tab for a beer or three, even.

Happy diving,
Vandit

PS: I suggest if we want to continue this discussion, we start a new thread in the I2I forum, rather than hijacking this post further.

Back
Top Bottom