Two Japanese divers found alive off Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that's what it was Hum.

Diver Dennis:
I think that's what it was Hum.
<edit> Maybe? It's hard to tell from a news story, but I thought the flotation device was the journalists idea of a BC.

DandyDon:
... I thought the flotation device was the journalists idea of a BC.
That is what I figured.

Willie

Yes you're right, it is hard to tell. The article did say a camera and a flotation device, singular. But who knows? I'll bet that was a long 30 hours though...

The divers were wearing wet suits and had a camera and a flotation device, but no mirror or flashlight to signal search planes, he added.
Good that they were rescued.

I wonder if they took pictures of each other while they floated away at sea.

Diver0001:
I wonder if there was a DM at all.... It's quite common in some places to hire boats without a guide.

R..

According to the article, one of the two was a DM.

Hazime Telei, Palau's director of Public Safety, said dive master Masahiko Murakami, 23, and tourist Hirokomi Nakayama, 35, began their dive around 11:30 a.m. Sunday.

No mention if the other diver give the DM a tip.

I believe these chaps were EXTREMELY LUCKY to be found and breathing today.
We've recentlty had "similar" incidents down here in the Cape where the outcome was not so happy as this instance.
I personally ALWAYS (no matter what the anticipated conditions are) carry a light in my BC pocket (or attached to a D-ring on my Transpac harness if that's waht I'm diving that particular dive), have a whistle attached similarly, and never leave home without my OMS SMB!!!!
I teach my students as I do.

Another reason to dress warmly, especially when the weather is bad.

Never know how long you'll be out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom