Two divers missing Whitsunday Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Selling their story, whatever the price was bad judgement on their part.
Selling a news story is a common practice in Great Britain and so what if they did? It seems the conspiracy theorists are having a field day with this story – mainly driven by the fact he was paid for exclusive news broadcast rights. Would the conspiracy theorists even care about this story if he had refused any payment – I doubt it.

...Anyone know when the Facts will be available...??
Facts are irrelevant. It seems that even after the two told their story and people who know them well, gave us the facts, we don’t care – we are having too much fun looking for the secret 100 mpg carburetor the oil companies have had locked away in their private vaults for years.

Facts are irrelevant. we don’t care – we are having too much fun

I love you, man. :yelclap:

aint that the truth.

we are having too much fun looking for the secret 100 mpg carburetor the oil companies have had locked away in their private vaults for years.
Someone still uses carburetors? :11:

They were recovered off of Airlie Beach (according to reports)... but you have discovered "the truth" was a bit different... 9 miles NW of Bait Reef

Then, if you had believed what you read, they'd have made one heck of a long journey... or maybe just 9 miles.

....still confused by your comment. Are you saying they drifted 9 miles northwest or more than 35 miles southwest to Airlie beach? or something else?

Someone still uses carburetors? :11:

Shhh, Don, they'll kill'ya fer sure.

It's code named Alma. Keep your eye on it for us.

Hurricane season starts June 1st. This thread ought to be interesting enough until then.

:eyebrow:

....still confused by your comment. Are you saying they drifted 9 miles northwest or more than 35 miles southwest to Airlie beach? or something else?

No, what I was quoting and saying is that there is so much bad misinformation on the news services being repeated here (and on the "internets"), that there is no semblance of continuity or truth. Life is quite predictable in that way.

BOTH descriptive versions of where they were recovered have been plucked from news sources, as disparate as they were.

I was saying that this is all a daisy chain. :wave-smil:wave-smil

:popcorn:

Facts are irrelevant. It seems that even after the two told their story and people who know them well, gave us the facts, we don’t care – we are having too much fun looking for the secret 100 mpg carburetor the oil companies have had locked away in their private vaults for years.

The story they gave us is not necessarily fact. People posting who know them were not there so those postings can not explain the actual events as fact. With all do respect, just because someone posts, that does not mean they are truthful. As stated earlier their version may be motivated out of saving face IMO. Getting other "facts" or evidence supporting their story is what most are looking for. For example, what time did the dive boat alert the authorities? Selling the story is irrelevant IMO. The story from the "stars" in this episode just doesn't add up. A more complete story is needed.

AZ

A more complete story is needed.

To what end?
Are we using this story to learn how to prevent this from happening to us or simply to criticize the two divers, the crew on the dive boat or the rescuers? For me, stories like this do nothing more than to reinforce the thought that I should bring my SMB, a very loud whistle, dive light and mirror on even simple OW dives. (And ignore the knucklehead that says I look like a Christmas tree.)

I’m happy the two were rescued and they can give their story – the alternative would have been horrible.

Shhh, Don, they'll kill'ya fer sure.

It's code named Alma. Keep your eye on it for us.

Hurricane season starts June 1st. This thread ought to be interesting enough until then.

:eyebrow:
Oh I found Alma today: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/storm-watch/235736-invest-90-heading-central-america.html
To what end?
Are we using this story to learn how to prevent this from happening to us or simply to criticize the two divers, the crew on the dive boat or the rescuers? For me, stories like this do nothing more than to reinforce the thought that I should bring my SMB, a very loud whistle, dive light and mirror on even simple OW dives. (And ignore the knucklehead that says I look like a Christmas tree.)

I’m happy the two were rescued and they can give their story – the alternative would have been horrible.

Dive trip to GBR: $thousands
Diver Alert whistle that can be heard for a mile: $40
Being heard beyond the range of a regular whistle when downwind: PRICELESS

At this point I am just curious if the dive operator was faulty. I am glad they are safe as well, but wonder what actually went wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom