Two divers missing Whitsunday Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks almity.

... Workcover is a (Australian) government organization that aim is to make an example of employers/businesses

The USA has several groups as well. ACLU, OSHA and the Trial Lawyers everywhere.:wink:

common aussie joke when you see workers doing strange things on early sunday mornings (ie, demolishing houses, removing asbestos, wide load deliveries, chopping down trees ect)... doing it before anyone calls workcover or local council :wink:

EVEN if a co worker here fell over and went to the docs, workcover will get involved

In Canada, it's called Workman's Compensation and if you tell the doctor you were hurt at work, the doctor charges WC. If a business has too many WC reports, their premiums go up.

Seemed nice enough to me...:shakehead:

In no way or form did I intend to be rude. If I have been, I apologise. Simply put I have stuck to one position only. That is that I cannot believe that anybody could or would do this intentionally. When I say anybody, I mean anybody. Moreover, I do not feel that it is ethical for them to make money by selling the story to the Media unless they plow a large chunk of that money towards the rescue crew or its organization.

I have read things on this thread that defy belief. "Reckless Dive Operators". "Two crazy divers seeking to become rich and famous by getting lost on the high seas in shark infested waters:rofl3:". " Press statement heavily orchestrated by a PR guru and clever Media people to dupe the world and make a sensational story". "Dive safely by taking your favorite CDs with you on a dive". "Water bottles and shark repellent devices". "They had it all planned because these use 7mm suits, instead of a 2mm piece of crap lycra." "The man's a jinx because he has three times narrowly escaped death. (I'd say he's damned lucky and also skilled at surviving catastrophic situations. Sounds like a good guy to have around).

Now all we are missing is that they work for the CIA and MI6 and were on a secret mission to destroy an Al Qaeda Submarine ( a boomer. of course) that was just outside the lagoon. OBL was on that boomer and they have saved world peace. :lotsalove:

its similar here but workers compensation is different to workcover

workers comp will hurt you buy yearly premiums/insurance

workcover will hurt you by putting you thru an inquiry and then fine you

dont get me wrong.. these things are good things for employees (which i am one)

but the witchhunt mentality workcover has gets a bit full on... especially when sometimes its just a unintentional stuff up and **** happens but no-one died situation. im ready to bet many a queensland dive op woke up that day and shook their heads about the extra paperwork it was going to cause them

Hmmmm. Sure does sound like a bit of a witch hunt to have a different investigating body. I'm all for worker's rights and safety but sometimes a simple mistake, as you point out, can shut down the business, taking with it the jobs it created. **** happens...

Hmmmm. Sure does sound like a bit of a witch hunt to have a different investigating body. I'm all for worker's rights and safety but sometimes a simple mistake, as you point out, can shut down the business, taking with it the jobs it created. **** happens...

exactly

definately if a employer is dodgy and risks workers lives they should be shut down

but sometimes crap happens and in this case.. it could could be a situation where both parties did no 100% correct things which ended with the 19hrs floating at sea

"The man's a jinx because he has three times narrowly escaped death. (I'd say he's damned lucky and also skilled at surviving catastrophic situations. Sounds like a good guy to have around).

Or conversely, someone to stay away from as he has a hard time avoiding incidents. An ounce of prevention they say.

Now all we are missing is that they work for the CIA and MI6 and were on a secret mission to destroy an Al Qaeda Submarine ( a boomer. of course) that was just outside the lagoon. OBL was on that boomer and they have saved world peace. :lotsalove:

You think that might have been it? I mean, we shouldn't discount this just because nobody has posted or reported it. You know about black ops and such...pretty quiet.

I agree. I don't think the two wanted to get lost on purpose but they screwed up and don't want to admit it. The dive op may not have had a perfect response and they are scared of getting nailed for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom