Two divers missing Whitsunday Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My take on this (which is something less than worthless) is they most likely surfaced fairly far from the boat, while others were getting on, and being in a current, drifted away. I don't think they swam to the boat... or the reef, or even considered doing it.

Taking for granted that they will be picked up is not uncommon, particularly where they were coming from.

When they don't get picked up...well it gets ugly.

As they make a great story, the rest was easy.

I don't think they tried to get lost, but I have been wrong before this and will be wrong about something after this.

everyone is saying Gary's lagoon, right? BTW, which way did they drift?

Ok, sure. Let's just say what the news reports have shown was accurate.

Leaping with me, so far?

Here's the map:
11_2.jpg

Or if you prefer:
IMG_05551.jpg

They were diving way up to the right by the RED marker.

They were recovered off of Airlie Beach (according to reports)... but you have discovered "the truth" was a bit different... 9 miles NW of Bait Reef

Then, if you had believed what you read, they'd have made one heck of a long journey... or maybe just 9 miles.

The result should be a good lesson for us all in the hazards of dissecting incidents from afar.

Everyone has their reasons and motivations. No one here has the facts.

:popcorn: :coke:

ummmmmmm...... huh? Airlie beach was where the boat sailed from, I thought, not where they were found. If they were found there, why not just swim ashore and put some shrimp on the barbie?

My question to anyone who knows the place is more along the lines of "if the prevailing currents are running northwest and you are diving the west side of this pretty big coral "island", are you protected at all from the currents on the lee side? If you are protected by currents in the lagoon, I am trying to figure out how you are not when outside the lagoon but very close to it. Looking at the map you borrowed from H20, I'd understand them getting swept north (or south) if outside the lagoon but I would think they would need to be pretty far outside the lagoon to be swept another direction.

Here is another...

I just watched the video. They seem very calm almost rehearsed. IMO, they are trying to save face. How could they be 20m from other divers being picked up and not be seen if an SMB was deployed? Wouldn't other divers have said something? That just does not make sense. Was the SMB deployed at this time? Again, maybe this is a case of saving face as a result of errors made on their part.

More likely IMO, they deviated from the suggested dive plan even when being warned not to do so. I can't believe the boat did not look out for them or raise the alarm when they could not be found. It seems to be their own fault based on the facts thus far. Glad they are okay.

Can anyone confirm when the dive boat alerted the authorities?

AZ

I have to say the interview was a good listen. The interviewer did descent job. The couple given the criticism has probably discussed the events which is why they sound the way they did. Here is my take - they probably did discuss doing something different with the "tour leader" as I have had the same done on some dives. The inside or outside of the reef at this point is a he said - she said. It is easy to miss a critical piece of information like do not go outside the reef due to currents.

As for the distance of 1000m-200m, bull pucky on both sides. Distances in the water are hard to judge because there is no reference. I have a hard believing both sides. However, being 3 pm and with a bit of sun it can be hard to see looking in to it. As for the boat missing finding them and the call. A 2-3 hour lags is not that unreasonable. However, I would like to know the ships and the dingy's movement. For instance, did they leave the dingy in the protected lagoon with the ship going outside to search, etc.

Selling their story, whatever the price was bad judgement on their part. They screwed the pooch on that one and I am sure regret it now.

Now as for insurance covering the cost of the rescue. DAN's coverage DOES NOT pay for non-medical evacuation. In this case it a was search and rescue for being lost. This is NOT covered. I confirmed this with DAN this morning. As the rep. said they misspoke. However, some costs such the transport to the hospital may be covered (i.e. chopper time from pick up to the mainland as at that point they did need medical attention), I did not ask about that.

Selling their story, whatever the price was bad judgement on their part. They screwed the pooch on that one and I am sure regret it now.
Oh I would. If I had to experience what they did, I'd feel entitled.
Now as for insurance covering the cost of the rescue. DAN's coverage DOES NOT pay for non-medical evacuation. In this case it a was search and rescue for being lost. This is NOT covered. I confirmed this with DAN this morning. As the rep. said they misspoke. However, some costs such the transport to the hospital may be covered (i.e. chopper time from pick up to the mainland as at that point they did need medical attention), I did not ask about that.
TY. I wondered, but didn't ask DAN. Glad you did.

Oh I would. If I had to experience what they did, I'd feel entitled.

Are you serious? Entitled to what??? You effed up, you got yourself lost, people had to spend thousands to come find your dumb ass and you think you're entitled to something???

I think I'm going to be ill...

Last edited:
Are you serious? Entitled to what??? You effed up, you got yourself lost, people had to spend thousands to come find your dumb ass and you think your entitled to something???

I think I'm going to be ill...
Haha :lol2: Okay if it was my fault, I wouldn't feel so entitled.

Anyone know when the Facts will be available...??

If the boat is 200m away, it's probably swimable unless the current is really strong (yes I know there was a current reported in the area).

If you didn't see any activity to come and get you within 5-10 minutes, wouldn't you try to swim towards the boat? I've done it with my buddy and seen plenty of others do the same. Usually the pickup boat comes by and offers you a lift.

A 1 knot current equates to half a meter per second. 1 knot equals 1.15 miles per hour.

A modest 2 knot current doesn't sound like much, but that works out to 2.3 mph and in 5 minutes they would've drifted another 300 meters and in 10 minutes they would've covered another 600 meters or over 1/3 of a mile.

From various fin tests I've read over the years, attaining 2 mph is pretty close to the max, and I suspect those test are ambitious to say the least.

The best they could've done is to maintain position relative to the boat, but for how long could they keep the effort up?

Last year in the October issue, Scuba Diving ran an article/test concerning the effectiveness of the various signaling devices. Most worked fine to 1/4 of a mile, six foot SMB's and Storm whistles were good to a 1/2 mile, and the Dive Alert was good to a mile. This tests were all done in relatively calm waters. Factoring in the initial 200 meter reported distance the times to reach those respective distances would be approximately 3.5 minutes (1/4 mile), 10 minutes (1/2 mile) and 23.5 minutes (1 mile).

Now, I have no understanding of how or why they got out of the lagoon and why they weren't seen. Someone did make a good post that estimating distances can be tough on the water. 200 meters is no small distance anyway. Think of two full American football fields end to end. Now stand at one end and imagine how hard it would be to see someone or something laying on the ground at the other end. Now add waves.

As to the boat crew, they probably didn't look outside of the lagoon initially, as they wouldn't expect them to surface outside of it. If it took even 5 minutes to realize they were missing, there's an extra 300 meters. From what I read, the dive was scheduled for an hour, so it's not unheard of for a team to stay down an extra five minutes.

Now, about selling the story: I bet the news agencies were waiting at the hospital for the helicopter to land, with offers in hand. I understand how tempting those offers could have been, especially to a pair of "scuba bums." Let's face it, this isn't the highest paid profession they or at least he had chosen. Their biggest mistake was they should have held out for more then. :wink:

Finally, if they did conspire to do this for notoriety and a bit of cash, that's got to be a pretty gutsy call. I find it hard to believe they would've done it, but the stupidity of some has never disappointed me yet. :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom