Twins on a Balance BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you use doubles with a traditional BCD you will DIE!!!!

Just kidding ... using your Balance to dive doubles is well within the realms of possibility and there is nothing wrong with doing so. It certainly won't kill you as long as you take precautions (such as keeping in mind your lift requirements).

The thing is ... for deco diving it isn't really adequate at all. You don't just need the capability to dive double cylinders, you need lots of other things as well, and your Balance simply won't supply those things.

If you get the chance though try to dive doubles with your Balance. It should give you some experience about what it is like diving with them underwater and, if you do get a BP/W, it might be easier to adjust. Or it might not ... just musing out aloud here. :dork2:

The point is, its always fun to experiment with new toys. So try it out, just don't expect to be able to use it for deco diving.

Does anyone have ideas / suggestions on where I can further investigate this?

Go BP/W and make your transition to the Dark Side complete!

Emperor-Palpatine.jpg

Using a Balance for doubles diving - whether deco or not - is really just plain silly. It's not designed for it, and slapping on some or other special cambands or whatever doesn't change that fact. (In my book the simple fact that it lacks a crotch strap is reason enough to void it's effective use here.)

As mikeguerrero points out, the Balance is a great recreational BC (started there myself) but it is really ill suited to the requirements of technical diving - regardless of how many times a year you do it.

Assuming your Balance is in decent condition you can probably sell it on the Used Gear board for about what a used BP/W on the Used Gear board will cost you.

for deco dives, at least in the class, you also have to consider the weight & attachment points for your deco bottle.

just throwin' that out there to make sure your balance can do it. then i'll say 'just get a bp/w!' :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom