Sidemounts versus Twin Tanks On The Back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But you dive with your arms forwards anyway? Holding the torch, computers in view, keeping in "parachuting" trim, etc.

I don't find that sidemounted stages get in the way as the bungee holds the cylinders back under your armpits.

But you dive with your arms forwards anyway? Holding the torch, computers in view, keeping in "parachuting" trim, etc.

I don't find that sidemounted stages get in the way as the bungee holds the cylinders back under your armpits.
Actually it wasn’t till I dived side mount that I saw why divers had their arms out and forward ( you had to) to clear the hanks. In back mount my upper arms are tucked in neatly by my side and lower arms underneath when swimming, Arm sticking out like that can’t be a good idea swimming through a wreck, or anywhere come to think of it. How do these things get started.

Just proves that we've got different approaches to the same things.

The more gear you bring the less streamlined and the greater the snag hazard. It’s simple maths. Hoses, bungees, double enders just extra gear, no benefit from back mount, I understand the OP doesn’t have this problem but when you have any work to do two 12ltr tanks under your arms are some pain. I dived them for 2 years in wreck’s and they were always in the way compared to back mount. Trying to get into a narrow spot on the bottom was more work. Tanks on your back are out of the way and that’s not the case in side mount, it’s the opposite. Side mount is like having the hassle of carrying stages every dive but don’t need them.
That's the reason for which I suggested a SINGLE 15-liters at 232 bar. Almost same gas as twin tanks, much more simple and comfortable...
Depending on locations, 15 litres steel are very common or even the standard size (here in the Mediterranean).
I known that in some locations they are not so widely available, but, when available, this is by far the simple and safe choice, before entering the troublesome worlds of side mounting or manifolded back twins...

That's the reason for which I suggested a SINGLE 15-liters at 232 bar. Almost same gas as twin tanks, much more simple and comfortable...
Depending on locations, 15 litres steel are very common or even the standard size (here in the Mediterranean).
I known that in some locations they are not so widely available, but, when available, this is by far the simple and safe choice, before entering the troublesome worlds of side mounting or manifolded back twins...
Absolutely, keep it simple, bring what you need. To 45m I’ll carry a 15 steel and 7 of 50% O2. For example SS Bandon and SS Folia. I believe ye use a twin valve. I could get 20 and 30 minutes bottom time respectively on those wrecks with just a 15ltr of air For redundancy I carry a 7 of 50% O2 and it speeds up my deco.

Attachments

• IMG_0314.jpeg
    IMG_0314.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 49
I don't know about Italy, but up here the standard size for twins are 2x12L. 24L is substantially bigger than 15L. Now if the 15L was 300bar, it gets closer...

For redundancy I carry a 7 of 50% O2 and it speeds up my deco
You call 50% O2 at 45m redundancy? 2.75ppO2...

I don't know about Italy, but up here the standard size for twins are 2x12L. 24L is substantially bigger than 15L. Now if the 15L was 300bar, it gets closer...

You call 50% O2 at 45m redundancy? 2.75ppO2...
Yep redundancy for me is if I can reach the surface when available or the deco switch, not that I need to. I’ve never lost gas instantly. The whole redundancy thing is a lot of hype and BS

Standard twins, when I was using them, here in Italy were 9+9 litres (alu, the famous Aralu by Technisub) or 10+10 litres (steel, usually Faber), both at 200 bars.
So a total of 3600-4000 litres max.
A 15l at 232 bar gives you 3480 litres. A bit less, I agree, but not so much!
And slinging a small pony tank fixes this easily, if you think that 3480 litres are not enough.
A 12+12 litres here is already considered something "tech", a bit oversized for recreational diving.
Remember that the OP was not interested into deep technical diving, but just wanted to extend his diving time for standard recreational diving.
And for this goal, a 15 litres steel is plenty enough, avoiding all the complications that multiple-tanks setup involve.

It’s a toy to be played with in open water.

If you’re not getting paid isn’t all scuba gear a toy that we’re playing with? Also, isn’t all scuba gear just a gear solution to a freediving skills problem?

Who cares if someone puts their tanks on their back or on their side? As long as you’re having fun and being safe you are doing it right.

Back
Top Bottom