twin jets or jet fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neopluredon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi guys!

i am having a dilemma whether to get jet fins or twin jets. i have tried researching all over the net for answers however i am not convinced with the answers as most of them are "sales talk" rather than experiencial and empirical supported answer so i am consulting the pros now (better if you have used both and have compared them).

just to give you a background, last feb 2009 was my first drift dive and am excited to use my tusa xpertzoom split fins in drift diving as i have seen it work fine in all my recreational dives. i asked the sales guy if the fins would work with currents and said yes with sugar sprinkles on top like any sales guy would do. (yeah... new diver shopping high. sucks to be me...)

so what happened underwater? i was literally dragged by the current by my fins and no matter how much i kicked (my hs swimming varsity skills did not work) and whatever kicks i use never worked. luckily, i was able to grab onto some rock formations but then damaging some corrals...i spent the rest of the dive "rock climbing" and looked like a dork underwater while everyone was enjoying the drift. i almost thought of quitting diving at that time but i still love the water...

after that incident, i told myself i won't do any drift diving yet until i get a new set of fins. a friend of mine suggested getting jet fins since she's using them fine then another friend suggested twin jets since i am already used to split type of fins.

just to give you more information, i am 5'3", 108 lbs...

can someone explain to me what twin jets and split jets can do and their advantages and, to balance stuff, their disadvantages? which of them works best in drift diving, etc...

your insights are highly appreciated :) please help an average

I have jet and twin jet fins and use them both regularly. I would normally say that you should just get a set of both since jet fins are pretty cheap but with someone your size I think that you would be best served with just twin jets. Jet fins take a pretty good bit of muscle to get the most out of them while twins are extremely comfortable and give you a good bang for your buck kicking. The first time I ever used them I thought my feet were out of the water they were so easy. I use my jets in the caves now and they work great against the flow. However, I am also exactly twice your size so it is a little easier for me but they are still not as easy as the twins.

thanks for the feedback :)

I have twin jets and twin jet max's love them both.

You're welcome. But be advised that what works for me may not work for you so you should rent some and take em for a spin before purchasing.

Deep-6: noted. thanks a lot
ianr33: but if you can't control it, it's a different story. i almost can't swim that time so it was my problem back then

After years of diving my Lightning Jets I decided the wife and I should upgrade so we each got a pair of Split Jets. Loved them in the pool. Light as a feather and no leg fatigue. Then we went diving.....sent them to SUDS for the auction. IMHO these are useless in current. If you need to swim against a current have something attached to the end of your legs that will actually move you forward.

thanks Doubler! i had a hard time diving with my fins and i can't push myself forward. my legs were useless back then and i was wasting a lot of air struggling. the tusa xpertzoom manual said that small kick cycles should be done when in currents... it worked somehow... somehow....

thanks again for the feed back :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom