Turquoise Lake July 28 & 29

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlieo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Lyn and I will be diving Turquoise on July 28 & 29. Anyone interested? We will be camping for the weekend.

So I have to reply to my own thread. Here is the program for our weekend should anyone want to join us. Friday: Flyfishing on the upper Arkansas river, Dinner in camp. Saturday: 2 to 4 Dives in the lake.Dinner in town, prime rib. Sunday Dive or two in the lake, leave by 2:00 P.M.

Any idea what the current water temp is? This may have to wait until I am dry suit certified..I dove Lake Tahoe last weekend and when that temp dropped into the 50's I was definitely chilled.

charlieo:
Lyn and I will be diving Turquoise on July 28 & 29. Anyone interested? We will be camping for the weekend.

Sounds like a fun trip. We just got back from first FL, and then OR, but maybe I'll be up for a dive or four on Saturday if I can find others who want to go, or I could drive up alone and meet you. Let me talk to the Family, and see if I can get my STUFF unpacked in time for next weekend! :D

George,
Turquoise lake is COLD when you go below 24 feet. If you stay above that you can use a wet suit. I wear dry gloves when I go deeper than 24' because my hands can't take it. But, if you are OK with a shallow dive come join us.
Frank

You lucked out by staying home. The rain in the area reduced the vis in the upper 10 feet of the water column to about 2 ft. We got to about 12 ft and the vis was back to the normal 15 to 20 but low light. We decended to 24ft. When we passed the thermocline at about 20ft it only took the extra 4 ft to convince us of our mistake. That thermocline my friend has REAL TEETH. So, back above 20 for the rest of the dive. Because of the vis we did the one dive and then went fishing in the Arkansas River.

I ran into that at Lake Tahoe last week (hitting that thermocline that puts a chill through your system, felt like someone had poured ice water into my suit). I think aurora will be much warmer this weekend!

Looking forward to dry suit training in September.

charlieo:
You lucked out by staying home. The rain in the area reduced the vis in the upper 10 feet of the water column to about 2 ft. We got to about 12 ft and the vis was back to the normal 15 to 20 but low light. We decended to 24ft. When we passed the thermocline at about 20ft it only took the extra 4 ft to convince us of our mistake. That thermocline my friend has REAL TEETH. So, back above 20 for the rest of the dive. Because of the vis we did the one dive and then went fishing in the Arkansas River.

Ahh, another day in the life of a Colorado diver! :eyebrow:

Where did you dive? Same place we went last time, or did you try near the launch?

We went to the Abe Lee fishing access where we were last year. There were a lot of boats so we avoided the launch area. There were a fair amount of fishermen at Abe lee. We waited until some left.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom