Turquoise Lake in August!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I really enjoyed the trip we did to turquoise lake last summer, and was really bummed that Phantaseas did not plan to do one this year.

So maybe we should plan something!

I've talked to a couple folks about this and James/Regina R not available the first weekend in Aug. So what r your thoughts on dates?

Camping is cool, but we can also do this as a day trip. It is about 2 1/2 hours one way if memory serves. Hotels r also available in Leadville. Camping is cheap at approx $16.00 for a spot per night.

Vis is really good next to the boat ramp, some of the best I have seen in CO (35'+/-). The bottom is Rocky so some folks silt it up, but it will clear quickly as long as they stop kicking the bottom. There are some fish to be seen, mainly trout, and fry (youngins) are abundant in the shallows.

Warm clothing is needed at night, and we are having rainy weather in the mountains this summer. Mostly thunder showers in the PM, but it has been cool in the evenings.. but it's all good.

Interest...thoughts...suggestions?

Last edited:
I am going to be in Leadville on Saturday, August 6. We are taking the train ride that morning, and I am looking to go diving in this or another site north. We wouldn't be camping, as we are staying in Keystone, but I am wanting to do a couple of dives while we are there, and my girlfriend doesn't dive. Interested?

I could go for the day on the 6th

Sorry about the last minute reply, I've been off the grid for a couple of days. We will be taking the train at Leadville, and will be done about 1:00. I am unfamiliar with Colorado lakes (we are temporarily escaping the Texas heat). Can you suggest a location at Turquoise Lake? You can contact me at 817-996-1865, if you like.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. After talking with a guy here in Keystone who is on a rescue dive team here about what you need to take into consideration for altitude diving, I decided I need to get some actual training in it... I had read up on some of the adjustments necessary, but I did not have the correct dive tables, and just generally unsure about it. I certainly hope to get back up here perhaps next year and dive. I'll make sure and post on here in plenty of time to work things out. Thanks again.

There is a group going down on Aug 20th for the day. John A., Justin for sure and likely more. I am likely going, but may not dive ... we'll see. I have not talked to James but we were going Jeepin so this may work out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom