Tulamben, Mount Agung, Current Situation...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You want to walk around and see stuff…man…Jakarta and walking doesn't really happen. I know that sounds silly, but when you get here you here you will understand why. There is tons of walking around Plaza Indonesia circle, which would be idea, but that entails Five Star hotels and $200+ per night. There is plenty around there to keep you busy from super expensive shopping to great restaurants and when you walk a bit away, there is real Jakarta.

Or you could stay a little farther north near the Monas Monuument, Kota Tua (Old town Jakarta), museums, Cafe Batavia are all pretty walkable if you stay in the Gajah Mada area. You could try the Fave Hotel Gajah Mada at the low end, or middle range All Season Gajah Mada, or my #1 recommendation Mercure Jakarta Sabang. The Mercure should be under $100.

Spent a day walking around old town last year - absolutely fascinating - lots of temples, carved ornate gates, old buildings and the like. Had a local guide who worked for the organization doing the old town restoration so got access to things that tourists would not normally see but even without those things it was worth doing. Not sure where you would get a map that would guide you perhaps someone here would know. Cafe Batavia is a good start. Found the local people extremely helpful. Traffic was worse than you could possibly imagine. Avoid travelling at rush hour - you can be stuck in for hours.

WAIT!!!! Stop. What are your dates in Jakarta?

There is a massive political demonstration this Friday at the Monas and Plaza Indonesia Circle. If you choose to go that route that is absolutely fine, but you must leave EARLY Friday morning, before 8 or 9, and head out to an airport hotel. Even before midday prayers Central Jakarta will be in complete gridlock.

Sorry. Such is life in the Big Durian.
We arrive Thursday Nov 30, depart Monday Dec 4. I will be aware of demonstration on Friday, as it is our first day after long flight from USA we might not be up and about. A visit to Old Town Jakarta sounds like what we are looking for. We can take short taxi rides or uber, I just don't want to have to go long distances.

Looking forward to visiting your town, thanks for all the tips!

Just a word about Political demonstrations in Jakarta - check and see if they are flexible.

I flew Jakarta > Amsterdam last year after a long days flying from a Banda Sea LOB and had planned on a recovery day or so but was told of the planned demonstration. I rang Etihad explained the situation and with no extra cost moved me to a midnight flight that day.

Also don't under estimate the time involved in travelling in Jakarta. Traffic generally dictates short distances will be four hours...a hotel shuttle bus can take 6 - 8 hours. Walking also is a perculiar thing in Jakarta. You are more or less steered by the amount of people like a huge wave in downtown Jakarta - a lot of people to move. Footpath gridlock.

What's a long distance to you? It takes quite a bit of time just to get to the southside of Jakarta from the airport. (Jakarta Selatan)

Just a word about Political demonstrations in Jakarta - check and see if they are flexible.

I flew Jakarta > Amsterdam last year after a long days flying from a Banda Sea LOB and had planned on a recovery day or so but was told of the planned demonstration. I rang Etihad explained the situation and with no extra cost moved me to a midnight flight that day.

Also don't under estimate the time involved in travelling in Jakarta. Traffic generally dictates short distances will be four hours...a hotel shuttle bus can take 6 - 8 hours. Walking also is a perculiar thing in Jakarta. You are more or less steered by the amount of people like a huge wave in downtown Jakarta - a lot of people to move. Footpath gridlock.
Oh boy, that's why matts1w was cautioning me about traffic. Thanks to both of you for the information, thought I was replying to him earlier.

Wingy is very correct about flexible demonstrations. It seems there is a bunch of political chess (haha) concerning the demonstration permits. It could be Friday, or Saturday, or not at all. When I get to work in a hour or two I will talk with our embassy security guys and get the low down.

Perhaps you could go to Yoyakarta and take in the Borobudur temple instead.

Perhaps you could go to Yoyakarta and take in the Borobudur temple instead.

Thats not a bad idea.

Unfortunately, Jakarta just isnt really a place for tourists to spend any time unless you are into night clubs and such. When my family comes to visit from the US, we spend three or four nights here, then move on to elsewhere. Jakarta is the government and business center of Indonesia. Perhaps a bit like Frankfort, Germany. A night or two is all one needs.

It does look like the demonstration is going to be Saturday.

It is not really relevant but Mount Agung is only about 600 nautical miles from the site of the legendary volcano, Krakatoa, that erupted on August 27 in 1883.Killing tens of thousands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom