Tulamben, Mount Agung, Current Situation...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stole this from a travel site I use. SQ is a high quality operation, if you have booked with them, I'd get in touch with them for sure and see if they're still offering this, or if inbound see what offers they have for you.

From SingaporeAirlines.com

"Singapore Airlines has arranged for customers to be transported via coaches and ferries from Bali to Surabaya, where they will be accommodated on flights to Singapore. The land journey from Bali to Surabaya will take approximately 18 hours. Efforts will be made to contact customers who have registered their mobile phone and email details with us. "

The transport departs at 0600.....18 hours departing at 0600 is a midnight arrival. That means either a 1 or 2am departure to Singapore or an overnight in Surabaya. No word on the website whether SQ is putting people up in hotels and then flying the next morning or what.

And no word on people who need to get back to Bali being offered the reverse of the above.

Stole this from a travel site I use. SQ is a high quality operation, if you have booked with them, I'd get in touch with them for sure and see if they're still offering this, or if inbound see what offers they have for you.

From SingaporeAirlines.com

"Singapore Airlines has arranged for customers to be transported via coaches and ferries from Bali to Surabaya, where they will be accommodated on flights to Singapore. The land journey from Bali to Surabaya will take approximately 18 hours. Efforts will be made to contact customers who have registered their mobile phone and email details with us. "

The transport departs at 0600.....18 hours departing at 0600 is a midnight arrival. That means either a 1 or 2am departure to Singapore or an overnight in Surabaya. No word on the website whether SQ is putting people up in hotels and then flying the next morning or what.

And no word on people who need to get back to Bali being offered the reverse of the above.
Airport about to reopen according to English press:

Officials have announced that Bali airport will reopen on Wednesday afternoon at 3pm local time (7am GMT).

As of 1540 Bali local time the website Baliairport.com is saying "Flight operations at Bali Denpasar Airport (DPS) are currently suspended due to Agung volcanic ash."all flights through to midnight local time (GMT +8) are showing as cancelled

Flight tracker as of 1550 was not showing much activity in the area

As of 1540 Bali local time the website Baliairport.com is saying "Flight operations at Bali Denpasar Airport (DPS) are currently suspended due to Agung volcanic ash."all flights through to midnight local time (GMT +8) are showing as cancelled

Jakarta Post:
State-owned airport operator PT Angkasa Pura I (AP I) has extended the closure of I Gusti Ngurah Rai International Airport by another day, until 7 a.m. on Thursday, as volcanic ash from Mount Agung is still found in airspace near the airport.

I know. Bu

I know. It still does. But the airport is open.

I hope everyone heading for a liveaboard has timely safe travels! And safe travels to all...

I bit the bullet and kept my flight schedule from Sorong to Denpasar as planned, Dec. 2, flying from Sorong to Denpasar via Makassar by noon, but Garuda cancelled my flight to Denpasar from Makassar and ended up staying overnight in Makassar. Had early morning flight to Denpasar on Dec. 3, arriving at 7:30am. So, I just made a switch my diving day in Nusa Penida to Dec. 4, instead of Dec. 3 and do some land touring on Dec. 3. Traffic was light & smooth as most of the tourists either left out of Bali early or decided to skip Bali.

Had fantastic diving on the 4th in Manta Point. Saw 6 Oceanic Mantas there. At one time I had to duck down to avoid my head being slapped by the manta wing. The only draw back was I have no time to completely dry out my dive gears when I went home on Dec. 5, as that evening on Dec. 4, it rained in Sanur.

M1828982.JPG
M1828948.JPG

Last edited:
I bit the bullet and kept my flight schedule from Sorong to Denpasar as planned, Dec. 2, flying from Sorong to Denpasar via Makassar by noon, but Garuda cancelled my flight to Denpasar from Makassar and ended up staying overnight in Makassar. Had early morning flight to Denpasar on Dec. 3, arriving at 7:30am. So, I just made a switch my diving day in Nusa Penida to Dec. 4, instead of Dec. 3 and do some land touring on Dec. 3. Traffic was light & smooth as most of the tourists either left out of Bali early or decided to skip Bali.

Had fantastic diving on the 4th in Manta Point. Saw 6 Oceanic Mantas there. At one time I had to duck down to avoid my head being slapped by the manta wing. The only draw back was I have no time to completely dry out my dive gears when I went home on Dec. 5, as that evening on Dec. 4, it rained in Sanur.

View attachment 437759 View attachment 437760

Gosh Dan...more stunning pictures!

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom