Tulamben, Mount Agung, Current Situation...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From CNN: An airport in Indonesia was closed for a second day as fears grew that a volcano on Bali might have another, bigger eruption. Almost 30,000 people have evacuated the area around Mount Agung, and now authorities say 100,000 more people living in the danger zone need to get out. But many of them won't leave, staying behind to protect livestock and gardens

ash distribution model.
Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 20.33.48.png

ash distribution model.
View attachment 436584

Even if the ash cloud heads southwest, if there are flows in the opposite direction (possible), Bali's NE coast diving could be altered for a good long time to come. And think for a minute about how all of those lava rocks ended up on the beach at Tulamben ...

Thats not a bad idea.

Unfortunately, Jakarta just isnt really a place for tourists to spend any time unless you are into night clubs and such. When my family comes to visit from the US, we spend three or four nights here, then move on to elsewhere. Jakarta is the government and business center of Indonesia. Perhaps a bit like Frankfort, Germany. A night or two is all one needs.

It does look like the demonstration is going to be Saturday.
I wish we had time to go to Yogyakarta. I am taking your original suggestion and have booked the Bandara by the airport. That way we won't be stressed about traffic. We can hire a guide to take us to old town or other attractions TBD after we get there. Leaving today. Mainly want to rest up before heading to Raja Ampat.

It is not really relevant but Mount Agung is only about 600 nautical miles from the site of the legendary volcano, Krakatoa, that erupted on August 27 in 1883.Killing tens of thousands.
Krakatoa is more famous but Mount Tambora eruption in 1815 on Sumbawa was much bigger and more destructive. The volcano’s height was reduced by more than 1km.

Most of the volcanos on the Sunda arc are capable of huge eruptions just look at the size of some of the calderas on Google earth.

Last edited:
It is not really relevant but Mount Agung is only about 600 nautical miles from the site of the legendary volcano, Krakatoa, that erupted on August 27 in 1883.Killing tens of thousands.
And its less than 150 NM from Tambora which erupted in 1815 which made Krakatoa look like a child's toy..
Ooooo... Bintang :)

Krakatoa is more famous but Mount Tambora eruption in 1815 on Sumbawa was much bigger and more destructive. The volcano’s height was reduced by more than 1km.
Beat me to it :)

I wish we had time to go to Yogyakarta. I am taking your original suggestion and have booked the Bandara by the airport. That way we won't be stressed about traffic. We can hire a guide to take us to old town or other attractions TBD after we get there. Leaving today. Mainly want to rest up before heading to Raja Ampat.

I truly think this is the best decision. The Bandara Hotel (FWIW Bandara is Indonesia for airport) is nice. Chill by the pool. Hit the spa. Go down to the big mall, etc… The staff there will have all kinds of ideas as to what to do. Before you know it, you will be on the way to RA.

Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom