Tulamben, Mount Agung, Current Situation...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If Lombok is closed its a fair hike but you can take the ferry to Java and overland to Jakarta.

As you'll see the wind over the past week is all over the place, which is typical of transitional times between so-called dry and wet seasons. This means the ashes will move to different areas!

What's the best place to stay in Sorong?

I will look at both of them. We are now going to have 4 nights in Jakarta. We will probably be zombies for the first day or 2 but then it might be nice to have some safe activities close by. Any suggestions?

I posted this for someone else a long while back for someone who had one night in Jakarta, but it still applies.
_______________________-
Jakarta is safe...far safer than any city I lived in the US...far safer than walking around Seminyak, Bali late at night. Violent crime to visiting Westerners simply does not happen here. In fact, you will find a whole lot of people smiling and happy you are checking out their city.

Of course one needs to use common sense like they would in any big city. Are their pickpockets? Sure. What about the stories of westerners being shook down by the police for money or robbed by a taxi driver and his buddies? I will bet you dollars to donuts, If you stay out of the shady "one stop entertainment centers" in North Jakarta you will not encounter the police and such. I have been here eight years and have had zero police encounters. The people I know who have were all in places that put targets on their back.

So seriously, if you have a time and a little bit a adventure in you, put on some casual clothes (jeans, a decent shirt, and decent shoes), stop at your hotel's front desk and grab a few business cards to help you tell the taxi driver where you want to go at the end of the night, and check out a little of my adopted home. Watch what unfolds through the taxi window, and let it all sink in. It is a fascinating city.

Here are some matts1w pointers for the one night Jakarta amateur staying near the airport:

1. Just go to places that are easy and popular.
A. Visiting Cafe Batavia in the old city is a great idea day or night. It is pretty far away from the airport area.
B. Pantai Indah Kapuk (PIK) is an upper middle class Chinese-Indonesian area full of stores, bars and restaurants no too far from the airport. You could head there, walk around, have a few drinks, find amazing dim sum, etc... Do this in the evening. I would not bother during the day.
C. Malls are very much part of life in Jakarta. It took me years to get used to the idea as I loath malls. Truth is, they are like air conditioned public parks for Indonesians- and often where the best restaurants and bars are located. Go to a mall, walk around, find some drinks, get some food, people watch. Easiest from the airport is Taman Anggrek and Central Park. If you have a bit more time head to Plaza Indonesia.

2. Only use Blue Bird taxis. At the malls there are taxis stands. If you are at nice restaurant ask the guys parking cars out front to get you a Blue Bird. When he does give him 5,000 idr.

3. Do not get impatient with traffic. Everyone hates it, and getting pissed off just makes you look like a a$$-hat. Your driver isn't ripping you off as traffic jams are inevitable. You are only here for one night, so enjoy the show. However, to ensure you stay in a good mood, ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS, go to the bathroom before getting in a taxi.

4. If you need help finding something, just ask an employee of a nice place. Have google translate on your phone. Jakartans really are friendly and will enjoy helping you especially if you are friendly and have a good sense of humor about everything.

5. Do not push your airport times. If my flight was at midnight, I would leave Cafe Batavia no later than 8 PM. Rain opens up another can of worms. Keep that in mind. So does rush hour from 4 to 7.

6. Do not eat street food. The food may be fine, but the dishes are utensils are probably washed in a nearby bucket of filthy water. No matter how good it looks it ain't worth the risk on your flight home.

Anyway, that's it. Always feel free to hit me up with questions.

Thank you matts1w. That is very helpful. Since this is a last minute change, I haven't had any time to research Jakarta. The Novotel Jakarta Mangga Dua Square looks like it is located in an interesting area with museums, SeaWorld other things near by. We depart in less than 36 hours.

Our main thoughts are with the people at Bali. Waiting for a total disaster which might happen or maybe not, is a nightmare. Apart from the 40.000 people who already has to leave their houses. Something else than a missed live aboard or not refunded plane ticket.

Thank you matts1w. That is very helpful. Since this is a last minute change, I haven't had any time to research Jakarta. The Novotel Jakarta Mangga Dua Square looks like it is located in an interesting area with museums, SeaWorld other things near by. We depart in less than 36 hours.

No. Traffic hell. Commerce area with nothing you want to do nearby. Distance in Jakarta is measured by time, not actual distance. It is very hard to get out of there. Really, dont do it.

Ancol, where the Sea World is, is a so-so amusement/recreation area park. There is a really fun seafood restaurant there named Bandar Djakarta where you shop in the fresh market for live and toady's catch and they grill it up.

If anyone knows a reliable driver with a good car or van that would go to Surayabaya, I would love to make their acquaintance.

Our boat leaves Sorong at 3pm on Dec 3. those with experience with such things, what would you do, and when?

Thanks,

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom