Tubbataha Poaching update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divers, this is the update from the fast moving and big hearted people who organized the fund raising...please note that the amount raised is NOT for the Fuel alone but also for the mobilization, care and transfer of the fishes. Releaseing it in honda bay would be catastrophic, I'm sure the fishermen around will be the happiest..lets bring them back to Tubbataha. In a few weeks I'll be goimg to PP to check them out and will bring back photos.

In the mean time, here is our next problem, Judge Ilao of the palwan RTC relesed another Chinese Vessel that was caught earlier last year carrying TURTLEs, another protected species. This same Judge is the one who granted bail to all the fishermen caught on the Ho Wan. H eis the Judge assigned to teh Environmental Court!

Ohmygas! wala ba dyan may connec to get this guy transferred to manila or something?

Anyway read on :

On behalf of the “Mamengs” please accept my heartfelt thanks for your generous support.

What started out as a desperate, last ditch idea to save the animals came to fruition thanks to your overwhelming compassion and generosity. Thanks to you, we now have the means to give the poor animals a real chance to survive this horrible ordeal.

We now must make sure that we do just that. A couple of new issues have come up which forced us to rethink our original plan of immediately transporting the fish back to Tubbataha. The first is the weather. The strong “Amihan” this time of year will make the journey very rough to say the least, extremely uncomfortable for the crew manning the ship, and very risky for the animals.

The second issue is the condition of the “Mamengs.” They have continued to deteriorate from the moment they were caught and placed in the ship’s fish tanks. This was more than two weeks ago. The water quality in the tanks is now marginal, the fish have hardly eaten, if at all. With the bad weather and the weakened state of the animals, we have been told that we risk losing all of them if we were to proceed with the original plan.

So with your permission, we propose revising the plan as follows: the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) have kindly volunteered the use of their sea pens located in the Puerto Princessa area to temporarily keep the Mamengs until March.

The fish will be nourished back to health under the watchful supervision of BFAR experts and WWF field personnel. We have also requested fish experts from abroad to visit the pens and offer their advice. Adequate security will be provided to ensure that the fish remain safe in the pens. All of the costs attendant to these activities will be funded by your donations.

Thankfully, we were able to raise more than the Php400 thousand. We also have a pledge from Petron to provide some of the fuel requirements for the journey to Tubbataha in March. Even as this letter is being composed, other oil companies are likewise considering lending a hand.

We will provide each of you with a planned budget to get this important project accomplished. You will also receive periodic updates as we move towards the magical day when we can set the animals free in Tubbataha.

Hopefully, the foregoing meets with your approval. Kindly email us your comments, questions or suggestions and we will act on them accordingly.

Many thanks!

Lory Tan

Gil Cu Unjieng

Eduardo Cu Unjieng

GREAT NEWS!

i would like to send special congratulations to lory tan who has worked tirelessly to bring this information to the public eye and have some good come out of what would have been yet another environmental buttfrock by those in power

Jag

PS
personally i would like to see Judge Ilao become a "hanging judge"

judge Ilao is filthy rish now, with all the dirt money, he will not see sunlight anymore.
surprisingly, I didnot hear the voice of the so call nationalists, opposition, the leftish, the NPA have anything to said! as least GMA already said she and the china head of state will not discuss about this matter, this belong to the Palawan court level, or let said Philippines internal affair. for the voter, just remember the last vice president during Erap era took the decision to release the year 2000 (?) ilegal alien and the fishing boat.that old man belong to china, he go to run again as an opposition senator!

bttmdwller, thanks for the updates... btw, is there anyway SB'ers overseas and locally can make donations for the care of the mamengs?

pakman:
bttmdwller, thanks for the updates... btw, is there anyway SB'ers overseas and locally can make donations for the care of the mamengs?
pak, a blog entry on my multiply has the BPI dollar account number (seriously, this isn't my BPI account number)

http://jaggarcia.multiply.com... blog's title is "bring them home alive"

Jag

I suggest you post that here... or is there any link from the philippine WWF site (just in case people don't trust you... :wink: :rofl3:)?

pakman:
I suggest you post that here... or is there any link from the philippine WWF site (just in case people don't trust you... :wink: :rofl3:)?
twit.

Jag

PS
here it is:
the blog i got my blog from:
I’m sure we’ve all heard about the poaching of Napoleon Wrasses in Tubbataha Reef (a world heritage site) by a foreign fishing vessel, wherein authorities found 300 of these endangered species on board their boat. This story came out in both Inquirer and Star last December… But for those who want to know more, read up on:

http://www.wwf.org.ph/newsfacts.php?pg=det&id=67

Fifty of the Napoleon Wrasses (or Mameng as they are locally known) have already died.

There is an urgent appeal by the WWF for assistance so that these fish may be returned to Tubbataha Reef as soon as possible. But its not only about the need for fuel money. The fish are so weak from weeks of captivity that they need to be fed and strengthened for the trip back to Tubbataha Reef.

We can help in our own little way by depositing to KABANG KALIKASAN NG PILIPINAS. Their BPI Peso current account is 1991004307, their BPI dollar account is 1994021377. Fax a copy of the deposit slip to Lory Tan at 63-2-4263927. Write the phrase “FOR MAMENG”. Please write your name as O.R. donations are fully tax deductible.

This is only 1 way we can help. But in looking at the big picture, we need to be more vigilant about what goes on in our waters. We probably have a lot of laws which protect whatever it is that need protecting... but the government needs to be helped along and reminded that more of its citizens are watching & actually care about what goes on.

On a related topic, Ross Harper-Alonso, a writer for Inter Press Service needs to touch base with other environmental NGOs who can give her more information about conservation efforts and poaching in the Philippines. You may email her directly. (rossharperalonso@gmail.com)

come on, you know I have a short attention span...

what's the donations for again?

ANOTHER CASE FILED VS SPIM & HOI WAN

I.S. No. 2007-021

For: Violation of P.D. 1829 Penalizing the Obstruction of Apprehension and Prosecution of Criminal Offenders

Filed by the Palawan Police Provincial Office and the Tubbataha Management Office versus Huang Yaliu, Tim Ilwok and Lea Alicanda

"That on January 3, 2006 at about 10:00 am, inside the F/V Hoi Wan No. 2915, Tim Ilwok with the help of Lea Alicanda and Huang Yaliu unlawfully removed the GPS plotter/fishfinder, which form part of the vital pieces of evidence in the cases filed against Huang Yaliu and 29 other Chinese nationals for violation of fishery and other environmental laws, and attempted to take it out of the Hoi Wan, to the prejudice and damage of the Republic of the Philippines."

Filed January 10, 2007
Lory Tan-WWF

The 64$ QUESTION IS WHY IN THE FIRST PLACE WERE THE FISHERMEN LET GO TO LIVE BACK ON THEIR BOAT!!!! DUH !!!!

Of course they will try to destroy the evidence, was the GPS secured na, and more importantly==have the SOCO downloaded the information from the GPS????

IF NOT WHY NOT??

Guys, wala ba Police Personnel among the divers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom