TSDT Possum Kingdom Lake Dive May 31 - June 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone figure out anything on motels. Possum Kingdom CC gave me a couple of names but i want to make sure these are close by.

Anyone have a guesstimate on the water temperature at PK?

I'd like to go, but need to make sure it's not 55 at depth still :wink:

Fetch once bubbled...
Anyone have a guesstimate on the water temperature at PK?

I'd like to go, but need to make sure it's not 55 at depth still :wink:
hmm

makes me wonder if i should pack the 5mm for the summer or not when im working at the scout camp

JT2 do you care to comment on the water temp and hotel situation?

leisurom once bubbled...
Anyone figure out anything on motels. Possum Kingdom CC gave me a couple of names but i want to make sure these are close by.
I apologize that I have not gotten back to everyone about the hotel info. I will try to do that this week.

Fetch once bubbled...
Anyone have a guesstimate on the water temperature at PK?[B/]
The surface temp right now is 63 and the first thermocline at 23ft is an eye-opener, however, this is the time of year when the lake really starts to heat up fast especially with the weather we have been having, and I can guarantee you that by the time we have our get together it will be much warmer, but it will still be in the mid 60's below the first thermocline. I will be diving at least once a week for the next three weeks, and I will try and keep everybody informed as to what the conditions are.

Scubatooth once bubbled...

makes me wonder if i should pack the 5mm for the summer or not when im working at the scout camp
If you plan on doing any deep dives be sure and bring your 5mm suit.Trust me.:mean:

well then the 5 will be coming with me then especially if the cline is that much of a eye opener, but also if thats the case i will be bring a hood and the gloves. Cold water doesnt bother me that much because after last weekend, its just after about 30 minutes i had to come up to a warmer level before i became a scubacle.

also JT whats goingt obe the average depth of the dives and average dive time for the dives. and what should be the lake temp during the summer at the surface and then the different thermos

also JT whats goingt obe the average depth of the dives and average dive time for the dives. and what should be the lake temp during the summer at the surface and then the different thermos
There are several different dives and dive plans that I have for the areas we will be diving, and I usually just get with everybody and find out what their comfort levels are as far as depth, water temp, and how long they like to spend underwater. After I do that I will better know which dives to take the different divers to do. Generally speaking there are a lot of fun easy dives with plenty of fish and ledges to see off of the back cut cliffs in the 25-45ft range with the bottom being at about 60ft in those areas. Down by the dam there are several good wall dives where we usually stay in the 45-70ft range with the bottom being 100ft+. If anyone is interested and qualified I can also take them closer to the dam where there is an underwater road and HUGE bolders on the bottom between 105-130ft, but I caution that this is a COLD DARK dive, but very interesting. There are also some good sunken boats to dive in the main body of the lake, but sometimes if there is too much boat traffic it is kind of dangerous to anchor up in these areas and the BRA frowns on it.

The water temp in the summer gets up to about 84 with the first thermocline being about 76 or so and the second one being much colder(high 50's).

I may just dive this one dry. I wouldn't wear much in the way of clothes under the suit.

Last time I was in PK in the middle of summer, I was in a 6.5 and stayed above the second thermal.

TwoBit

JT whats the range on the 1st thermo, and then whats depth range on the second.

as for dive profiles i will agree with you on that. when you say dark how dark do you mean( like needing a light cannon to see anything)

Dan

Ya'll are scarin' me! I hate wetsuits so I need water at least 72º for a t-shirt and suit to dive.

This is supposed to be diving season!!!

Don't worry Dee, I will find you a warm place to dive :). It isn't that bad unless you go deep. I will be wearing my 4/3 this weekend and the water is much colder now than it will be at the end of the month, but I am very hot natured and I would recommend that most people bring a fullsuit (3mm-5mm) if they have one in case they decide to do some deeper stuff. There are some coves around Hell's Gate that are in the 50ft depth range that are always warmer than the rest of the lake especially when the sun is out, and they are great dive spots. A t-shirt or a shorty will be fine for most of the dives if 72 is tolerable for you, because it should be warmer than that.

JT whats the range on the 1st thermo, and then whats depth range on the second.
The first one is usually between 27 and 33ft, with the second between 55-68ft.

Back
Top Bottom