TSDT Flower Gardens EDG Trip (August 2002)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not Mike, but.....

Originally posted by cincibob
Trip sounds pretty cool. I am planning to visit friends in Austin this summer and have been wanting to dive the Flower Gardens. How many do you have signed up? Texas Mike, have you dove the Flower Gardens before with this boat. I was wondering what you ment by 16 out, 16 back. Also can you bring your own tanks?

Bob

We've got 6-7 definites right now, with quite a few waiting on the dates....which I'll set up with the boat this week.

16 out, 16 back means we have 16 divers going out and we bring all 16 back in...a good trip!

Capt. Harold provides the tanks and prefers that you use his. He will make an exception but doesn't want everyone bringing their own tank.

Originally posted by scubatexastony
....Dee, I have to drive home on Friday night but you name the date and I'm ready! Really looking forward to seeing you guys again.

see ya' soon.
STT

I think that address is the owners and Capt. Harolds home addy when he's not on the boat.

What about Joe's Thursday night? It's my birthday and I feel the need for shrimp! :dance:

Thanks Dee Just didnt snap to 16 out 16 back. Was thinking hours not divers and did not see how this will all fit in a couple of days. How long of a boat ride is it to the Flower Gardens? Just got back from the Dry Tortugas and 8 hrs each way but we were out there 5 days. You stated there would be 4-5 dives per day. Do they stay at one location for the day or move around to different sites. I am not to fimliar with this reef system and was just wondering how large it is. Any web site for it? Also, Is there a nite dive scheduled for this trip?

Thanks
Bob

Originally posted by cincibob
Thanks Dee Just didnt snap to 16 out 16 back. Was thinking hours not divers and did not see how this will all fit in a couple of days. How long of a boat ride is it to the Flower Gardens? Just got back from the Dry Tortugas and 8 hrs each way but we were out there 5 days. You stated there would be 4-5 dives per day. Do they stay at one location for the day or move around to different sites. I am not to fimliar with this reef system and was just wondering how large it is. Any web site for it? Also, Is there a nite dive scheduled for this trip?

Thanks
Bob

The Flower Gardens are 110 nautical miles from Freeport, Tx. We board the boat by 9pm and it departs around 10pm or so. Depending on conditions, it's about an 8 hour trip. Dive gate is open when you get up the next morning. We usually make our first dive about 7am before breakfast. The boat moves from site to site. The schedule can vary a bit but we usually do 1- 2 dives each on East Bank and West Bank, moving the boat during the 2 hour surface intervals. Stetson Bank in the afternoon and a night dive or even two. With the depths involved, your nitrogen load will rule the number of dives you do. The second day we'll dive on of the rigs on the way back.

There are 3 day trips but we thought we'd go for a weekend this first time.

Learn more about the Flower Gardens here....Flower Gardens

Dee,

I am waiting to hear about the dates. I am in the Air Force reserves so if it doesn't interfere with one of my drill weekends then I would love to drive down. Do you know how long it takes to drive from Kansas City. I once drove to San Antonio and that took about 16 hrs.

A group of my female dive friends had been talking about an all girls road trip to the flower gardens. So if we don't end up being able to hook up with your trip we might end up down there ourselves. Thanks for the link. That will get us started.

:bunny: KC_Scubabunny :bunny:

KC_Scubabunny.....what dates work best for you. A little input from you guys will help me pick dates agreeable to everyone.

Yes, I have been wanting to try out the Sea Searcher for some time now. Where do I send the 50 bucks?

Miles King

The time to Houston is comparable to San Antonio, especially if you are coming down along I-35. But I-45 to Houston is a better road (a bit newer) and you can do Dallas to Houston in about 5 hours or so. Freeport is below Houston by about 1 hour.

Dee....If you're online tonight, I will ICQ you about the trip.

Originally posted by TexasMike
....Dee....If you're online tonight, I will ICQ you about the trip.

You know when/where to find me! I'm trading emails with Capt. Harold today so I may have some details for ya.

I've been trading emails with Capt. Harold today about our trip dates. I asked for preferrably the first two week-end in August and any other dates between mid-July to Mid-Sept. as alternates. His response was...

"Will try and work you in for Aug. or one of your alternate dates. In the Gulf, July and Sept. are just a chance, as any other date."

As for Bob's question about taking our own tanks, Harold has changed a few things this year and using our own tanks was one of them. Harolds response was...

"Sorry to tell you, but we have the tank racks full of our cylinders, no room for others. This season I can't be leaving our cylinders in my car. Usually the smaller and larger cylinders, won't fit in our racks. That poses the problem of liability if one falls down, and C.G. Regs. won't allow us to lay them down. Small pony bottles will be allowed."

I'll keep you posted on the dates ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom