TSDT does Memorial Weekend 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a couple of questions for the trip. One can someone give me directions from Houston, pretty please? Are people heading up there early afternoon on Friday? I was thinking of heading out around lunch time. I look foward to meeting everyone. I am taking my dive gear in this week for a once over. Also what will be the water temp by then, will us cold water wimps need a wet suit??

I can't help with directions but as of today the water is 68 degrees. It may go up a few more degrees by Memorial Weekend. We'll be wearing wetsuits but we're wimps.

Originally posted by lovetodive2
I have a couple of questions for the trip. One can someone give me directions from Houston, pretty please? Are people heading up there early afternoon on Friday? I was thinking of heading out around lunch time. I look foward to meeting everyone. I am taking my dive gear in this week for a once over. Also what will be the water temp by then, will us cold water wimps need a wet suit??

Our preferred route is I-10 west to Schulenburg, north on 77 to LaGrange. At LaGrange, go west (left) on 71. You'll go through
Smithfield, Bastrop, and Garfield. When you cross 183, the road changes name from 71 to 290 although there are some of the 71 signs still spirnkled around, you just have to look for them amidst all the construction right there. But don't turn off this 71/290 road.

Keep going to Oak Hill where 71 will depart 290 and will veer off to the right to Bee Cave. Here, it changes to FM620. Follow that until you see the Mansfield Dam sign on the left. If you cross the dam, you've gone too far.

This is the long way around Austin to the dam but it's the fastest when dealing with cross-town traffic and construction on the roads. Someone else may have a better way!

Originally posted by MightyDiver
I can't help with directions but as of today the water is 68 degrees. It may go up a few more degrees by Memorial Weekend. We'll be wearing wetsuits but we're wimps.
No wimpness about it at all. Since the first rule of scuba is "Never hold your breath," I contend that the 2nd rule is "Always be comfortable." This means being warm during the dive as well.

Besides, I'm diving dry anyhow. Each dive brings the cost per bubble of my drysuit that much cheeper.

Originally posted by lovetodive2
Are people heading up there early afternoon on Friday? I was thinking of heading out around lunch time.
There is a high probablity that I will be there by mid-day on Friday. I'd like to do a dive or two to scout the area to make sure all is well underwater (aka no new hazards) and to take care of any last minute details before the "official" kick off on Saturday morning.

So if anyone else plans to arrive Friday, let me know and I'll make sure to look for you.

Love2dive2.....

Although it may be low 70s at the surface, at 60ffw the temps are still in the 50s and I highly reccomend 3mm farmers with a hood at least, gloves and booties too.

I always take 290 all the way in and 183 up to 620, usually a 2 1/2 hour drive or so once out of Houston. I'll be cutting out of Houston around 11 or so Friday and you're welcome to follow along or I'll give ya my route. PM me if you want and I can give ya my cell # and all.

tony

ps. TM... As soon as Bren makes it to the dam, (driving in from the country), I'll get wet with ya'

pss, copied from earlier post: list of campers so far. Gotta cut some more fire wood...

Texas Mike
Dee and Beast (and the Kitchen)
David (of Austin)
TrueTexan(Dalton Lane) & ?
Coldwater and family (RV style)
Tom & Michelle (and Diedre)
Fishkiller & ?
Texass (Des and ?)
Artsprite (and other half....if not suffering from BVI syndrone)
lplace (Logan)
lovetodive2 (Tina)
scubatexastony & Brenda
Ronbo & Jolynn (RV style)
Fetch (Jeff and Rachel)
Bill Brown and Wendy Weinberger
T.P.H. (Steve)
Sue J and Family
Steve (T.P.H.)
Odin (Micheal)

no word as of yet from:
Zagnuts Johnny and Kathleen
Truckdriver and better half

Hi all!

Add myself, hubby and child to the list of campers/divers for this outting if that's OK. Looks like it will be a blast.

SueJ

Glad to see you popped up for a SI. Where ya' been hanging out at? We (Dee and I) have been wondering where you were and missing you at the shrimp fests. ;-0
See ya soon and I'll drop you a note when we make out next outing.

tony

ps. Just called to check availability of other campsites, all booked.
I think there's plenty of room if we claim all of campsite #2. Hopefully most of us will arrive by Friday evening and stake our claims, since #1 and #3 are reserved for Sat-Mon with less campers in each pod. This is gonna be so much FUN....

Hey stranger! Tony and I were wondering about you..glad to see you again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom