TSDT does Memorial Weekend 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
Since I have a few new topics to cover for our outting Memorial Weekend at Lake Travis, I wanted to start a new thread...

Dee and I discussed a few things on planning for the weekend and we need to share them with you. They are:

1. Safety & Preparation
2. Door Prizes
3. TSDT T-shirts
4. Food

Safety & Preparation -- I'm in the middle of the academics of my Divemaster Class, so making sure we have a fun and safe time is very much current in my mind. So I want to make sure to remind everyone that has a first aid kit to bring it (never can have too many). And if you don't have one, consider adding one to your gear bag. I'm going to be working on my safety preparedness between now and Memorial day so I will have anything we might need should it all go pants on us. The only thing I don't have is an O2 cylinder. Does anyone that is going have one?? If you do, please PM me.

Door Prizes -- Those of you that came to our Halloween gathering remember the pumpkin hunt where everyone got some cool prizes. I'd like to continue the tradition of everyone getting some neat stuff. And while I do have a few of the pumpkin prizes left over, there's not enough for everyone. So Dee suggested a Chinese Auction with scuba related items costing $5-10. What do you folks think about that?

TSDT T-Shirts -- I still have some of the originals for sale. (I'll need to check my list to see how many of what sizes I have left). I'll have them with me at the event and will consider taking pre-orders in case additional shirts are needed (aka I run out of the size you want). If you have thoughts or questions about the shirts, I'd like to hear them.

Finally, Food -- I think most of us are cool with each of us being responsible for our own vittles. However, Dee and I thought it would be nifty if we have a little bit of community cooking, especially breakfasts. The opening suggestions are basic scambled eggs/sausage/etc. for breakfast and then grilled meats/veggies/finger foods for dinner. Beast has a good sized grill that he plans on bringing, so there will be heat if you decide to burn your own dinner. We'd also like to ask that if the community cooking is desired, that we get some volunteers to help with prep/cooking/cleanup so no one or two folks are stuck "in the kitchen" all weekend. Any additional thoughts from you guys?

((and for those that are coming in from longer distances, such as out of state...don't fret, we'll take good care of you and make sure you don't go hungry. You'll probably be so full you'd rather sleep than dive! We can work out the individual details as needed))

It looks like we are going to have a really good turn out. And I'm really looking forward to meeting all the new faces and making new friends. This event is for you...so your participation is desired and appreciated.

Let's get wet!

--TexasMike

As far as I know we'll get to the lake early Saturday and come home Monday. A few thoughts....

Safety & Preparation -- Fun and safe are the keys words in this trip. Other than first aid requirements, I'd like to make sure everyone dives smart and safely. Mansfield Dam is a public park and as such has hazards that aren't usually found in dedicated scuba parks. We are all used to low viz but there's also monofiliment line and fish hooks, depending on the water level in the lake we could also have trees to deal with. I want to encourage everyone to dive in buddy pairs and/or small groups. Make sure you have gloves, a pr. of shears for cutting line, and a compass. I always like to have a pony bottle in local lakes, even with a buddy.

TrueTexan will be bringing his pontoon boat. We'll be in boat mode on those dives. That means keeping a roster and checking divers in and out of the water...no matter how many we have onboard. Sure would hate to lose someone!

Door Prizes -- Chinese auctions are always fun. For those who don't know what it is....we have X number of divers and the same X number of gift. Diver #1 choses a gift and opens it. Diver #2 has the option of taking the gift #1 chose or choosing an new one. Diver #3 can take either gift from #'s 1 and 2 or choose a new on...and so on. Diver #1 gets last choice to either keep whatever gift he/she ended up with or exchanging it for one from anyone in the group. Just because you opened a gift doesn't mean you get to keep it!

We all like dive gear and toys, right? But have you ever bought one then decided you really needed/wanted something else. Or it just didn't work out like you thought it would? Now you have a nifty piece of gear or doo-dad but no use for it. Why not bring all those mis-begotten items and have a dive toy swap. Or even sell some of that extra gear you have like tanks, etc.

What do ya'll think?

TSDT T-Shirts -- I'm still hoping for anything but white T-shirts!

Finally, Food -- We generally set up a pretty nifty kitchen when we camp. Those of you with us last October know what I mean! Beast loves to cook and is a primo camp chef. Breakfast usually consists of scrambled egg/bacon or sausage/potato/avacodo roll-ups. Just think big burrito! 'Course if you'd rather have it on a plate, we can do that too! Help with cleanup is appreciated so the diving can commence!

Lunch is usually sandwiches, chips, etc.

Supper can be as simple or grand as we want. I'll have to check with Beast about what size pit he plans to bring but I was thinking steaks, baked potatos, mushrooms/grilled onions one night. Maybe grilled chicken, corn on the cob, something other veggie the other night.

This is just my thoughts on possible dinner menus. All suggestions are welcome. I guess what I'm saying is we'll provide the heat and alot of the cooking if everyone wants to wither bring your own food stuff or we take up a collection and gopher to the store for supplies.

Like Mike said, this trip is for everyone so your thoughts and suggestions are really appreciated :thumb:

time

money

I do hope to be there as well

"and for those that are coming in from longer distances, such as out of state...don't fret, we'll take good care of you and make sure you don't go hungry."

we'll see

Just to let you know.......

With me it's still a matter of how tired I am from my Windjammer cruise the week before, and getting a tent and hubby to go. I am following the thread, and I hope to feel like coming. It sounds like fun.

Also, I have experience driving houseboats, including a 60 footer with dual outboards. I'm just not that good docking that big one on a river with a strong current. Steering with the motors is a challenge. I also used to pull skiers regularly though I'm a little rusty on that one. But, I've driven different kinds of boats. My dad made sure I was able when I was growing up.

Just to get a good idea for the number of campers, and the thought of maybe getting campsite #3 added to our reservation if it's still available and needed....

campsite #2 info says 40 max, and that's a lot of tents, even at 2 per, so......where we gonna build the camp fire? LOL

Let's put together a list of campers...PM me if I need to add you or take you off the list.

tony

Texas Mike
Dee and Beast (and the Kitchen)
David (of Austin)
TrueTexan & ?
Coldwater and family (RV style)
Tom & Michelle (and Diedre)
Fishkiller & ?
Texass (Des and ?)
Artsprite (and other half....if not suffering from BVI syndrone)
lplace (Logan)
lovetodive2
scubatexastony & Brenda
Ronbo & Jolynn (RV style)
Fetch (Jeff)
Bill Brown and Wendy Weinberger
T.P.H. (Steve)

no word as of yet from:
Zagnuts Johnny and Kathleen
Truckdriver and better half
Iguana Don

We have a canopy for the 'kitchen' but it doesn't take up a whole lot of space.

Tony,

Add Ronbo and JoLynn to the list. They told me Sunday that they are definite maybe's to attending. If they do attend, they will be in their own motorhome.

And I asked Tabatha about her attendence on Sunday. She's a possible no-show due to her schedule prior being so hectic and (imagine this :) ) wanting to spend time with her non-diving hubby.

MightyDiver reporting in.

We (me and dh) will not be camping since we live pretty close to Lake Travis and will just slog our stuff back and forth. In fact, we are hoping to get diving in at Windy Point on the Friday and maybe Thursday before the crowds arrive for the weekend, too. Anyone else going to be there early?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom