TSDT does Memorial Weekend 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sorry if this was covered earlier but we were wondering if the majority of you own your own tanks and are bringing them or renting tanks locally for the weekend? We were wondering if we'll have to reserve tanks for that busy weekend from our LDS to make sure we have air.

I think dh is trying to get me to buy us our own tanks!!haha!:D

Can't speak for anyone else but Beast and I own quite a few tanks. For air fills over the weekend, we go to Dive Texas just on the other side of the dam.

Since that is a big holiday, I think it would be a very good idea to reserve a couple of tanks each for the weekend if you don't have your own.

Better safe than sorry!

I was just thinking does Dive Texas know that they will be required to fill a large number of tanks each day and in a quick and timely safe manner?

Originally posted by Fishkiller
I was just thinking does Dive Texas know that they will be required to fill a large number of tanks each day and in a quick and timely safe manner?

They have always been prepared and more than willing in the past. BUT I've never been there on a big weekend like this one. I'll call them tomorrow and give them a heads up just in case!

Thanks for the thought, FK :thumb:

Howdy everybody,

Does anybody know if there will be a place at or near the campground that I will be able to tie up or beach the pntoon boat at, so that we don't have to take it in and out of the water every day? Also, I have a full lenghth top that I can put up on the pontoon boat, along with mosquito nets since the pontoon boat has two 12 foot long padded couches running down each side, and another 6 footer on the back and I usually camp out on the boat, if there is a place to tie up. There is room on the boat for a couple of people besides myself if anyone needs a place to crash and does not have a tent. I have two Oxygen cylinders that are rigged on little roller dollys like the medical ones, we can leave one of them on shore and keep the other one on the boat so that everyone will have access to them, however I would like to make sure that someone is in charge of each O2 tank that actually knows and understands proper usage so that we don't get anybody blown up or sucking down the O2 for no reason.
I am also trying to figure out a way to build a saftey stop and deco station to hang from the boat, and would appreciate any suggestions on how to do it. I was thinking of just suspendng a piece of PVC pipe about two inches in diameter and 10 or 12 feet long over the with some good poly rope so that when it was time to bring it in wecould just roll it up and mount it in some kind of simple bracket on the side of the boat so that it was out of the way, what do ya'll think????

At the Mansfield Dam area, there is a boat ramp that will make putting in the boat very easy.

Surrounding most the dive area are large floating booms that designate a "no boat" area and I beleive are floating just above the top of the wall.

But I think (Dee, check me on this) that these booms do not include the stairs that lead down from the camp ground. So it might be possible to bring in your boat fairly close to shore and still have simple access to the area where we are camping.

O2 Cylinders: I have a current CPROx card. And so does Dee. And I'm sure others do as well. My thinking is to stash it in an out of the way but very accessible area where we can get to it if needed, but it's not obvious to the entire world as to what's inside of the case

Deco Bar: I've never created one myself, but your idea of hanging a length of PVC pipe over the side at 15 feet depth sounds workable to me. About the only thing I would add to your description would be 2 or 3 pound weights at either end to ensure it remains at the set depth.

I would also encourage folks diving fairly deep to make use of the anchor/descent line for deeper stops as required by safety and proper dive planning.

By chance will anyone be bringing a doubles setup with them for this weekend?

Two weekends prior to this trip, I will be completing my TDI AdvEAN/Deco class and will be trained and cleared to use doubles. Doing a longer dive in Travis would be a good opportunity to practice. But I'll need a solid buddy if I'm going to do this.

Anyone up to this level of training yet? Dee, how about your or Beast?

I kinda have doubts I/we will be there.

Michelle is working on Saturday. I have considered offering her a baby free weekend and bring the kiddo without her. We have also talked about comming down Saturday afternoon. Its going to take some more discussion to figure something out.

Even if I do come and its just the child and I, I may be stuck on shore duty the whole time unless someone is willing to entertain a 2 1/2 yo while I dive.

Tom

Originally posted by TexasMike
But I think (Dee, check me on this) that these booms do not include the stairs that lead down from the camp ground. So it might be possible to bring in your boat fairly close to shore and still have simple access to the area where we are camping.

Sorry, but I'm pretty sure both sets of stairs are INSIDE the boom markers. I know if I'm standing on that lift thing next to the lower stairs, the boom extends to the left farther than I can see around the bend. There MAY be a place there to tie the boat but I can't say for sure.

By chance will anyone be bringing a doubles setup with them for this weekend?

Two weekends prior to this trip, I will be completing my TDI AdvEAN/Deco class and will be trained and cleared to use doubles. Doing a longer dive in Travis would be a good opportunity to practice. But I'll need a solid buddy if I'm going to do this.

Anyone up to this level of training yet? Dee, how about your or Beast?

Beast will have his doubles and I'm sure he'll be more than happy to buddy with ya. I'll be getting used to my new BP setup and maybe doubles for the first time myself!

My daughter Jodi will probably be tagging along with us and staying with our son at nights (he's just 10 miles away). I bet she can be talked in to watching your little one while you make some dives. I'll confirm it tonight, but's she's great with little ones, matter of fact, I'll be a grandpa in July!

tony

Back
Top Bottom