TS Fay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I lived in Indiana we had windy, wet, gray, stormy days, except it was 25 degrees and the wet stuff was snow.... The entire state didnt shut down.

I know we gotta prepare for the worst, but I think local news/"Fear TV" drives people to hysteria. This isnt as silly as the storm that we shut down a few years ago where it never even rained, but it is close.

I don't know how long you have been down here now but, I have lived here for 16 yrs. I understand how you feel. I also came from up north & several times during my first few years we had school canceled & the weather ended up being no big deal. The problem with these storms is that they are very unpredictable. One time, because of the "We've called off school too many times & it ended up being nothing" attitude, we were sent to school during a tropical storm. :no BIG MISTAKE. We were very lucky that no one got hurt. Trust me, it is better to be safe than sorry.

I'm booked to go on a boat in wpb area on fri & sat -- I know you can't see into the future, but based on past storms of this type do any of the locals have an opinion of whether I should still bother going? thanks

I don't know how long you have been down here now but, I have lived here for 16 yrs. I understand how you feel. I also came from up north & several times during my first few years we had school canceled & the weather ended up being no big deal. The problem with these storms is that they are very unpredictable. One time, because of the "We've called off school too many times & it ended up being nothing" attitude, we were sent to school during a tropical storm. :no BIG MISTAKE. We were very lucky that no one got hurt. Trust me, it is better to be safe than sorry.

I know---we cannot have little kids waiting for the bus in a tropical storm in the dark...

However...

I have been here six years, and it seems since Charlie and Katrina we pull the plug way too early. Before I moved here we knew potential snow storms were coming-sometimes they panned out, sometimes they didnt. Usually the superintendent waited until 4:30 to 5:00 Am to call off school. We got up early, turned on the news, and listened for the list of school closings. Then we either went to the shower or back to bed. Heck- we even had a schedule to start school an hour later so they could have a little more time to plow snow. Simple.

School was called off yesterday at 1:00 PM based on a POTENTIAL storm. There were no evacuations, and most people never even put up shutters. Had we waited until this morning things MIGHT have been different....maybe not. Almost every business and service in Fort Myers is closed- my gym, garbage collection, etc... They all decided to shut it down based on what? NBC2 and Fox 4?

Had a hurricane come rolling over they Keys and headed our way that would be a very different story. Fay never got going, but everyone caved to fear yet again. More and more people grow cynical concerning these weather forecasts that are really nothing more than educated guesses. When the real storm comes again we will have cried wolf so many times...you get the idea.

Their big headline right now is that a tree fell across a busy street and is blocking a lane of traffic.
I'll be down there with my Jeep and a chainsaw in about an hour.. no more blockage when I'm done :wink:

This is exactly why businesses have to make a decision as to whether or not their people resource will be coming in or not the next day. Most don't want to put employees in harms way needlessly even if the storm shows up as it has today. My yards are absolutely flooded and I've been informed that some of the other local roads have some debris and flooding. Nothing horrid, but since most people have cars that are not meant to waddle through water or roll over limbs and other random debris, its easier to just keep people off the roads. The other bonus is people feel as if they are able to take care of their family or those things that they care about instead of having something like a series of downed power lines crossing a road keeping them seperated and possibly the family without power or communication for hours. Remember, Charlie was supposed to be a strong Cat 1 tops and it hit as a Cat 4 and didn't go to Tampa like 'they' were trying to sell us but blew right into Charlotte Harbor by way of Ft Myers Beach, Sanibel, and through Charlotte Harbor. I like the error on the safe side approach, I know my family is safe and I can do something for them if needs be.

As a side note, we had a Bald Eagle sitting in one of the dead pines outside of our porch window for a few hours.. he only recently left. It was interesting to have this guy keep looking in at us and around at the weather. :)

Matt, I know Sanibel had evacuations. I'm not sure about other areas, but my friend out there recieved a call about it.

A couple of my friends who DID have to go to work yesterday said they had some REAL scary wind gusts on their way home.

Better safe than sorry, I say. A day or two off here or there does no real harm. On the other hand, co-workers who were not permitted to get home in time to board up for Wilma had catastropic losses. I'd rather see a wasted day off than a destroyed home any day.

I've been here 27 years. And divorced from a TV news person who also things the overhyped coverage is just silly.

Update - Winds have gone up 5 mph (currently 65mph) since it hit land with a possible tornado spawned from Fay on the east coast, not confirmed yet.

I know---we cannot have little kids waiting for the bus in a tropical storm in the dark...

However...

I have been here six years, and it seems since Charlie and Katrina we pull the plug way too early. Before I moved here we knew potential snow storms were coming-sometimes they panned out, sometimes they didnt. Usually the superintendent waited until 4:30 to 5:00 Am to call off school. We got up early, turned on the news, and listened for the list of school closings. Then we either went to the shower or back to bed. Heck- we even had a schedule to start school an hour later so they could have a little more time to plow snow. Simple.

School was called off yesterday at 1:00 PM based on a POTENTIAL storm. There were no evacuations, and most people never even put up shutters. Had we waited until this morning things MIGHT have been different....maybe not. Almost every business and service in Fort Myers is closed- my gym, garbage collection, etc... They all decided to shut it down based on what? NBC2 and Fox 4?

Had a hurricane come rolling over they Keys and headed our way that would be a very different story. Fay never got going, but everyone caved to fear yet again. More and more people grow cynical concerning these weather forecasts that are really nothing more than educated guesses. When the real storm comes again we will have cried wolf so many times...you get the idea.

Ah Matt, you sound so much like me when I first moved here. Only for me, it was all the hype after Andrew. Ya gotta remember that, when it comes to snow storms, folks don't have to board up to protect property. Not just your own but the school's property as well. It is not fair to compare to a snow storm where ya just let the snow fall & then shovel it up afterwards.

Be careful about thinking that "it can't happen to me" or believing that predictions are better than they are because it will come back & bite ya in the behind. I know. It happened to me. I was living in Punta Gorda when Charley came through. Just like you, I had seen many storms come & go with much hype. Initially, Charley was supposed to be a strong cat 1 - weak cat 2 & pass us by on its way to Tampa. I have a dog & at that time, there were no pet friendly shelters. I decided to stay because I wasn't leaving my dog, it's only going to be a cat 1-2 & would pass by on its way to Tampa. Afterall, the eye is where the damage is done & what were the chances of the eye hitting me? Now I know you are probably thinking, "Why didn't you leave when you knew it was going to be a cat 4?" The answer is because I didn't know that until it was too late. Earlier that morning it was a cat three & they were predicting it was going to go up the river in Ft. Myers & it didn't become a cat 4 until it turned towards us. I will never forget, hunkered down in the bathroom, watching the radar on a portable tv & seeing Charley headed straight for me. I looked at my dog & told her how sorry I was that, because of my stubborness & stupidity, I had put her in that position. I was lucky during Charley, my roof held & we did not get the predicted storm surge. I have learned to never underestimate mother nature & to always err on the side of caution.

As a side note, we had a Bald Eagle sitting in one of the dead pines outside of our porch window for a few hours.. he only recently left. It was interesting to have this guy keep looking in at us and around at the weather. :)

Way cool! Aren't they just beautiful birds?!

Ah Matt, you sound so much like me when I first moved here. Only for me, it was all the hype after Andrew. Ya gotta remember that, when it comes to snow storms, folks don't have to board up to protect property. Not just your own but the school's property as well. It is not fair to compare to a snow storm where ya just let the snow fall & then shovel it up afterwards.

Be careful about thinking that "it can't happen to me" or believing that predictions are better than they are because it will come back & bite ya in the behind. I know. It happened to me. I was living in Punta Gorda when Charley came through. Just like you, I had seen many storms come & go with much hype. Initially, Charley was supposed to be a strong cat 1 - weak cat 2 & pass us by on its way to Tampa. I have a dog & at that time, there were no pet friendly shelters. I decided to stay because I wasn't leaving my dog, it's only going to be a cat 1-2 & would pass by on its way to Tampa. Afterall, the eye is where the damage is done & what were the chances of the eye hitting me? Now I know you are probably thinking, "Why didn't you leave when you knew it was going to be a cat 4?" The answer is because I didn't know that until it was too late. Earlier that morning it was a cat three & they were predicting it was going to go up the river in Ft. Myers & it didn't become a cat 4 until it turned towards us. I will never forget, hunkered down in the bathroom, watching the radar on a portable tv & seeing Charley headed straight for me. I looked at my dog & told her how sorry I was that, because of my stubborness & stupidity, I had put her in that position. I was lucky during Charley, my roof held & we did not get the predicted storm surge. I have learned to never underestimate mother nature & to always err on the side of caution.

I dont disagree one bit, but comparing the days before Charley and the days before Fay are apples and oranges. Charley had been a major hurricane, calmed down again, then started to intensify again. Fay never was a hurricane. I lived on Fort Myers Beach during the year of Charley, and we had mandatory evac 24 hours before the storm. Never happened with with Fay, although there was a suggested voluntary evacuation on FMB, Captiva, and Sanibel. Even Marco and the Keys never went under mandatory evacuations, nor did trailer parks. We knew Charley was going to be dangerous, but Fay never even made the Keys clear out. We are comparing two VERY different storms here- not apples and apples.

The weather report for Sarasota area......gray & breezy (20-25 mph) from the ENE, no rain yet. Venice should be diveable by the weekend.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom