Trying UK Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

more london divers? excellent, I take it you will all be coming to the drinks session we have planned for some time soon? (i say some time being we havnt settled on a date yet) :)

I've been to my Lds but they dont have a club (mikesww - upmister) and the next nearest is lakeside (fine for shopping but do i want to dive in a lake people chuck up in every weekend?).
Where in london are you all?
Sarah

sarahboo once bubbled...
..... but do i want to dive in a lake people chuck up in every weekend?
Sarah

you might not like rib diving then :)

I'm sure the lakeside club will dive in other location too.

Diving of a rib in the sea - no problem.
Diving in a lake with a pub on a jetty with lots of essex girls and lad chucking up over the edge every weekend - no way.
Also their web site list the good thing to see as 2 cars, a phone box (red) and some shopping trolleys !!!!
:boozer:

Hi all,

Yet another warm water diver from (North) London.

Currently converting to UK conditions. A word of warning: UK Diving costs shedloads of £s! ;-0 Recent purchases include, drysuit, undersuit, gloves, DSMB, reel, pony + reg.

For the past few months been diving fresh water, trying to cope with all the new equipment, cold water, 0vis, etc.

Personally there is no way I'd dive a wet / semi here. Though wet does have its advantages eg, ability to take a whizz anytime you like! For me anything under 22degC is time to break out the drysuit. Its always a lot colder than that at the bottom!

Lack of wheels is also a problem for me, but one that is eased by a stong back. (I had 2 but they were cruelly taken from me, then found in bits).

Wraysbury is starting to bore my b@lls off, and I've covered all the drills I can think of. So if anyone is in the same situation and / or fancies a trip to the coast (suitable for novices & preferably during the week) drop us a mail. :boings:

Sish.
===

about the UK is the cheap diving - an average weekend costs me £400. Now I'm off the ex-pat contract I don't go diving nearly so much.

It costs a bit up front but once you've got the gear it is relatively cheap in the UK.....

Jonathan

well our club hires the drysuits out, no way i could afford to buy one just yet!
and have you tried Stoney Cove yet? a tad more interesting than wraysbury i assure you

i need to get a few more deep shore dives sorted out so i may be planning a few trips soon

as for UK diving being expensive, not really, buying kit anywhere costs a shedload, infact kit in britain is cheaper than in Australia/Sharm for the most part, the only addition is the dry suit, which you could rent

once you have it, if you look after it, a weekend wont set you back more than 100, a bit more if you want to hire a boat

Long weekend in falmouth only cost me 175 including a boat dive, transport, accom

So maybe I should go out on a limb here and ask would any of my fellow novices be interested in a daytrip to the coast to try this cold water thing ?

And would any of our more experienced UK divers be interested in chaperoning ? or just come and laugh at us shrivelling up?

For those of us without wheels (or enough wheels as the case may be we may be able to sort out some transport amongst us, or if the worst comes to the worst hire a van.

Any takers ?

im sure quite a few of us would be up for it, would probably be wise to do a few shore dives, or an inland dive to get you more acustomed to the temprature in relative safety than to just go an do a boat dive to 15m in cold water

Nice idea.

Maybe Swanage Pier or West Bay in Weymouth. Nice easy shore dives.

PS Wraysbury was a balmy 23 deg C at the surface dropping to 21 deg C at 'depth' yesterday. I've done colder dives in the Red Sea :)

Back
Top Bottom