Trying to transition from total-noob, part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I finally started to get my sac rates under control last year. A number of factors came together and it has really shown up as sac rates plumeting.

Realize that the excitement of all the new experiences gets your blood going as a diver but that is what is working against you as a new diver. The key is to relax and set a calm easy pace.

Although I was one of those divers that had good buoyancy control from the start I really got it dialed in. This resulted in my wasting less air inflating and deflating the BC. As the skill becomes part of your nature as a diver it allows a reduction in the amount of weight you'll need to carry. I reduced the weight I need with my cold water gear by 6 lbs. This also helps reduce the wasted air used for buoyancy but as secondary benefit it allowing you to use less energy to move through the water and in that less air.

Another key that was taught to me is breathing cadence. Althought we never stop breathing or hold our breath while scuba diving, you can set a pace for your breathing that will help.
The inhale should take a count of 3-4 followed by a pause in the cycle of a 1-2 count and then the exhale should take a count of 5-6. Initially count in your head at a pace that is comfortable. Do not intentionally stretch this out to attempt to conserve air. As you relax your count will naturally space accordingly.
Using this method you'll realize an immediate effect on your sac rates. As you dive more the count will fade away but you'll already have set your normal underwater breathing pattern.

As a side note if you ever find yourself hyperventilating after a scare the same count can be used to regain your control of your breathing.

Last edited:
It is good to see your first thread.

These SB people are nice and helpful. Your thread helps lots of people who visit the thread and get good advice. I have been reading all the posts and have got some great advice and reminders.

For me, diving is just to have fun and a great experience with the creatures in the sea.

It is true what they say "Just dive more and you get better".

Look forward to our next dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom