Trying to get my gal certified in Austin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BullSharkGator

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm an Advanced Diver with NAUI and PADI ties.

I'm not really loyal to any dive shop because I have not really been impressed compared to the three shops I worked with in Florida. So far, I've been getting a few fills from a few different shops, just to get a vibe.

I'm sure it'll take time to warm up to a new shop, so I'm optimistic.

I'm somewhat new to Austin. My girlfriend wants to get certified later this year. Any suggestions on which shop to send her to? Any body have some thoughts on the subject?

BigBull

I don't know if you came to my shop for any fills, but welcome to Austin. Oak Hill Scuba offers certification for either NAUI or PADI if you have a preference. We offer classes on weekend or evening schedules and have private or semi-private training available. we're located in south Austin on Hwy 290, out near the Y in Oak Hill.

As far as your girlfriend getting certified later this year, I think the sooner the better. As you noticed, the weather is getting warmer (95 today!). Before long, it will be downright HOT. Since the lake is still chilly, we do our check out dives at Aquarena Springs in San Marcos. The water there is a constant 72, vis is exceptional and there is plenty of aquatic life to see. The sooner she gets certified, the sooner y'all can go diving together.

I'm an Advanced Diver with NAUI and PADI ties.

So far, I've been getting a few fills from a few different shops, just to get a vibe.

BigBull
:no

Well that says it all for AVID Divers. A shop that takes care of divers who want to dive need a full tank when the gas cools. That is a tell tale sign if they are really interested in the sport or just selling retail.

Shawn O.

I have bought gear at most of the Austin area dive shops. Warren at Tom's Dive and Swim on Burnet and Allendale/Koenig/2222 has given me the best deals in the past. Nicco at Royal Scuba on North Lamar and 183 looks like they will give me the best deals this season. They are new and hungry.

Check out their website, it list a better price to kick off their grand opening than when I got my open water certification back in 2004. Royal Scuba is a NAUI dive shop, I don't know the differences between them and PDIC (which is what I got when I took my lessons at Dive World at 620 near 183), and PADI, and SDI/TDI, but maybe some others can chime in on that.

I plan on getting my Advanced Open Water there at that price.

good luck!

As always with scuba training it is the instructor not the shop or agency that makes the difference. If you would like I can recommend a few via PM.

Mack Diver, it was a hot one today.

Anyone: My girlfriend is younger than me. Her girlfriends are trying to talk her into doing a UT Scuba class with them, but I'm not sure how long that would take or the quality of their instructors. Who is Peter Oliveer? Is he good?

The UT class is a NAUI class, and it lasts the entire semester. Tuition for the class does not cover check out dives, those have to be paid separately. If she starts the class in the fall semester, she'll be doing check out dives around Thanksgiving.

Peter Oliver is a PADI Instructor and NAUI Course Director. He teaches some at my shop during summer break. He is also on the board of directors for NAUI. Peter is a good guy and runs a good program at UT. He is very easy going.

If your girlfriend does take the class at UT, PLEASE have her buy the books at the start of the semester. I have some students come in to buy the books the day before or even the day of the first test. :11: I've even had some come in the day after they failed the first test. :shakehead:

The UT class is a semester long, and our divers come out with more experience and training than any other open water cert.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom