Trying to get my gal certified in Austin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And modest too :D

Yeah...the only problem with the class is your girl would have exposure to jac...and there's no tellin' what kind of exposure that might be! I hear he has an old trench coat he likes to wear around the college girls though. :rofl3:

Who is JAC?

PvilleStang, I noticed your calling card said you're the UT SCuba club prez, so I have a lot of questions for you:
Are you also an instructor?
Are UT instructors locked into UT, or can they teach on the side? (Apparently that Question is not directed for JAC since you guys are trenchcoat bombing him.)
How does one become a member of your club because it looks like Austin Aqua Club is not going anywhere anytime soon.
Will you give me your opinion as to who you think are the best instructors in town. There seems to be a divided view between UT Instructors and non-UT Instructors. (I'm pretty sure mackDiver is an instructor.)

Bottomline PvilleStang, why should my girlfriend take a UT scuba class instead of just going to Royal Scuba or Oak Hill Scuba???? I'm not trying to attack, but aren't the Royal Scuba Instructors and the Oak Hill Instructors good at certifying someone in a little as two weeks???

Well, wjknobles and Jac (and at one point LVX) are UT instructors. They are both good at what they do, and the better aspect to taking the UT class is that you get more out of it than you would most shop classes. Most shop classes you get (someone correct me if I'm wrong) around 10 hours of classroom discussion and approximately the same amount of pool time before your OW checkouts. As for UT, you get somewhere in the ballpark of 12 lecture sections (each around 1:15 minutes or so) and around the same amount of pool labs. The facilities at UT are also one of a kind to learn in, and Peter Oliver is a very knowledgeable instructor who has literally written several books for NAUI. I recommend the class for those who can afford to take their time and learn more than the NAUI / PADI standard. And to answer your question, YES, the instructors at UT can teach private classes, but it's up to them as to when, where, and how much.

On the other hand, some shops do a great job at teaching students, too. I'm sure Mack knows a thing or two about putting courses together, and has competent instructors. Shop classes are nice for getting something done quicker than three months, and can usually be tailored around a schedule. Another pro to a shop class is that it's usually all included (since at UT you have to pay a fee to do your checkout dives, thanks to the big heads and their wanting to skate around the insurance policy).

Whichever you choose, just remember, she'll get out of the class what she puts in it.

Mack, Peter is a NAUI Course Director, but he is not on the NAUI Board of Directors. He is the editor of NAUI Sources and Dive Business Today, the NAUI member magazines. And yes, he IS a great guy and does run the UT Scuba program.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom