Question Trying to decide on a rebreather unit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to get into advanced shipwreck diving, penetration diving on the wrecks in San Diego, Ca. I would love to visit the wrecks up in the great lakes (Lake Huron) at the 180-200ft (60-67m) depth. There is a lot to see here in Southern California as well. I know I wont be able to afford tec diving on OC for very long so I'm thinking I just make the transition to CC sooner than later. I can do a lot of diving on AIR DIL here locally.
Scope creep...
Back to the OP. Inquiry was for MOD2 level of rebreather diving.
Starting to get heavy into the MOD3 configurations. Pretty deep for someone looking for a first rebreather.

Scope creep...
Back to the OP. Inquiry was for MOD2 level of rebreather diving.
Starting to get heavy into the MOD3 configurations. Pretty deep for someone looking for a first rebreather.
m

I’ll disagree on this. We should all start with the end in mind. Some divers never get to the MOD3 level.

My two current frequent dive buddies got there in about 18 months. In that time they managed about 450 hours on their “first” unit in extremely diverse conditions all over the world.

There is nothing wrong with looking forward to see what future limitations or opportunities may arise. The best answer to this thread is there is no best rebreather.

The answer is get the one that makes the most sense for you and then dive the **** out of it.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

As repeatedly requested, a new thread has been created out of the discussion on deep bailot. It can be found here:
Question - Bailout gas configs for tech/deep chestmount rebreathers
We can all now return to the OP's original question. Carry on!

Dann-Oh. I see that you are in So Cal. I talked with Steve at the scuba show at the dive rite booth. He is running a couple of choptima courses out of LA Scuba, one at the end of June and another in mid july. I am headed to his place on Sunday to do a choptima discovery. If you are LA local, look him up at http://www.lascubadiving.com/calendar.html

Rusty out at Scuba Schools of America in Pomona does try dives of the Kiss.

Dann-Oh. I see that you are in So Cal. I talked with Steve at the scuba show at the dive rite booth. He is running a couple of choptima courses out of LA Scuba, one at the end of June and another in mid july. I am headed to his place on Sunday to do a choptima discovery. If you are LA local, look him up at http://www.lascubadiving.com/calendar.html

Rusty out at Scuba Schools of America in Pomona does try dives of the Kiss.
Issue with the Kiss is it's not really that mainstream. It's a manual CCR when electronic -- with oxygen solenoid -- is probably a better starting point for CCR, preferably on a popular unit such as the JJ, etc.

There's nothing wrong with the Kiss, but they're rare on dive boats in comparison with other rebreathers.

Issue with the Kiss is it's not really that mainstream. It's a manual CCR when electronic -- with oxygen solenoid -- is probably a better starting point for CCR, preferably on a popular unit such as the JJ, etc.

There's nothing wrong with the Kiss, but they're rare on dive boats in comparison with other rebreathers.
They're a bit more common in the the US, especially in Cave Country. I've seen on a few dive boats in SE FL - probably Cave Country spillover ;-)

Seems like everyone working hard and fast to grab some market share from current CM/SM CCR madness.

984CDC67-023F-4597-B6A9-C9E56D273CCE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom