Question Trying to decide on a rebreather unit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Be realistic about how much you'll be able to dive whatever you buy. I ended up selling my Prism 2 after a couple of years because I realized I was never going to get enough time on it to be really competent. I had no complaints with the unit itself.

Be realistic about how much you'll be able to dive whatever you buy. I ended up selling my Prism 2 after a couple of years because I realized I was never going to get enough time on it to be really competent. I had not complaints with the unit itself.

Did you get something else or just quit diving ccr altogether?

Backmounted units has their own merits, specially when it comes to deep hypoxic range diving. I can have 4 s80’s in SM with oxygen, diluent, suit inflation and redundant o2 on my unit which will allow me to do almost half an hour at depth. People I dive with not able to do this with Gemini or Triton because there are so much space and drings one can practically use and they usually carry one s80 for diluent and another for deep bailout which are very similar gasses.

However, I would also never be as comfortable as them if we are diving shallow or wet because they can have only two tanks just like OC SM but I still have to carry all the metal on my back. Also traveling is super easy for them specially with the CM unit which is great bonus if one use air travel a lot.

Like many things in life, choices are default trade offs or compromises if you will. I believe CCR selection should be purpose driven. Whatever one is going to be doing most, should choose the tool most suitable for that. It is like cars, majority of them gonna do the job unless one picks something extremely unique and extraordinary.

That being said, whatever worth doing once worth doing twice including owning rebreathers. :D

I really fancy a Triton chestmount unit for travelling and use in warm, clear, pretty waters. This can be configured with a normal ali80 with a wing+backplate+harness and a standard set of regs (that's longhose+necklace :cool: ) with the chestmount rebreather clipped to your front. This would mean that you are a "standard" recreational diver with a lump on the front.

The chestmount boxes are half the weight -- or less! -- of a backmount unit. Much of the reason for this is there's no backplate, wing, buoyancy control. Also diluent is taken from your bailout (AKA "Dilout") so there's no separate diluent cylinder. The oxygen cylinder's also very small (1 or 1.5 litres) as it's frequently mounted transverse on the bottom of the chestmount unit.

(We had a discussion about CCR ready-to-dive weights a while back)

We can tell!

<My chest mount fully charged with 2L steel bottle 2kg sorb in a stainless scrubber is I can't remember 17-19 kilos

Same as a full single tank

Absolutely!

There are no perfect rebreathers. They all have pros, they all have cons.
Next is to filter what flaw are deal breakers, rule those out.

One factor I didn't initially consider, but when I started shopping changed came to light, failure points. How many seals are there that you have to deal with at every build and tear down?

For chest mount lovers. :wink:

1FEADCD5-5BE1-4D5B-812C-2382A5E961BF.jpeg

OOh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh oohh ahhhhh!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom