Question Trying to decide on a rebreather unit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did that in a quarry. Realised at my ten min check that I hadn’t just not screwed the plug in tight enough, I’d actually left the f*cking thing at home.

We were at about 22m, so I just thought the thing was toast by then and we continued the dive.

Dismantled it when home, dried it as best I could and left it in front of the dehumidifier for a week. Then reassembled, plugged it in to charge, et voila…..it worked!

Done just over 15hrs since then and it has been fine, as a secondary PPO2 monitor.

I had originally written it off as completely fckd, so had budgeted around £300 for a Fischer connector to allow me to fit a NERD.

I did that in a quarry. Realised at my ten min check that I hadn’t just not screwed the plug in tight enough, I’d actually left the f*cking thing at home.

We were at about 22m, so I just thought the thing was toast by then and we continued the dive.

Dismantled it when home, dried it as best I could and left it in front of the dehumidifier for a week. Then reassembled, plugged it in to charge, et voila…..it worked!

Done just over 15hrs since then and it has been fine, as a secondary PPO2 monitor.

I had originally written it off as completely fckd, so had budgeted around £300 for a Fischer connector to allow me to fit a NERD.
Lol well you can be forgiven mate with no judgement :) Honestly if you look at a lot of the user groups this is a VERY consistent issue. I think it has a lot to do with how it is very very easy to miss (it is a pinky sized knob that is as black as the casing) so if it were me then I would start selling those things as bright orange with a string tether so if it is unplugged then it just dangles making it super obvious just like the fischer port cover on the petrel's. It is also pretty tough to screw in as you have to push it in tight beyond the o-ring and then start screwing which is tough if your hands are cold. You are luckier than myself.. mine is totally toast.. good thing too, the little fuc*er deserved to be drowned lol. Of course I am a huge advocate of checklists as are we all right :) and complacency kills.. in this case I only killed my monox so I am going back to school and telling myself every time that I don this gear that rush, panic, students diverting my attention be damned.. I am going to be so much stricter on doing the checks.

So now my path is set.. I am going to buy this which includes isolator and splitter so I can add my other AK4 pin connector that I already use for my Nerd2

4Pin AK- 3 Cell MOLEX Cable Assembly​

4Pin AK- 3 Cell MOLEX Cable Assembly from Narked@90

and try to do this myself first by trying to dig out the potting on my existing cell holder and rewire it all and if that fails then I will buy the cell holder from Tec Equipment für Nitrox, Rebreather Höhlen Tauchen
1724121533678.png

If you decide you want to do any mods to Martins designs, he will carve you a fresh one exactly to your spec

If you decide you want to do any mods to Martins designs, he will carve you a fresh one exactly to your spec
Yes, I messaged him and he was super responsive and pleasant. He had no hesitation to agree to my request to add another groove for a secondary o-ring as I am not a fan of the single point of failure all over the Triton unlike ISC Meg engineering which has two o-rings everywhere.

Lol well you can be forgiven mate with no judgement :) Honestly if you look at a lot of the user groups this is a VERY consistent issue. I think it has a lot to do with how it is very very easy to miss (it is a pinky sized knob that is as black as the casing) so if it were me then I would start selling those things as bright orange with a string tether so if it is unplugged then it just dangles making it super obvious just like the fischer port cover on the petrel's. It is also pretty tough to screw in as you have to push it in tight beyond the o-ring and then start screwing which is tough if your hands are cold. You are luckier than myself.. mine is totally toast.. good thing too, the little fuc*er deserved to be drowned lol. Of course I am a huge advocate of checklists as are we all right :) and complacency kills.. in this case I only killed my monox so I am going back to school and telling myself every time that I don this gear that rush, panic, students diverting my attention be damned.. I am going to be so much stricter on doing the checks.

So now my path is set.. I am going to buy this which includes isolator and splitter so I can add my other AK4 pin connector that I already use for my Nerd2

4Pin AK- 3 Cell MOLEX Cable Assembly​

4Pin AK- 3 Cell MOLEX Cable Assembly from Narked@90

and try to do this myself first by trying to dig out the potting on my existing cell holder and rewire it all and if that fails then I will buy the cell holder from Tec Equipment für Nitrox, Rebreather Höhlen Tauchen View attachment 856903
Please keep us posted on here, I’m very interested to find out how it goes.

Please keep us posted on here, I’m very interested to find out how it goes.
will do. I am in Asia at the moment and won't be home for another month so I will be starting that project when I get back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom