Weight of rebreathers -- Ready to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wibble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Am curious about the weight of rebreathers in a ready to dive state. This means it's fully packed with oxygen & diluent cylinders plus scrubber, any additional weight, full harness, spare light, cutting devices, batteries, drysuit inflate... Everything except for bailout.

If it's a unit that uses the bailout for diluent (e.g. ChOptima, Triton) then please say so -- we'll need to add the weight of at least one ali80+regs. If it's a GUE JJ style machine with a couple of integral diluent/bailouts plus has a longhose, then need the full weight including that lot.

I'll start the bidding with my Revo:

Revo Mini Titanium: 44kg / 96.8 pounds
Cold water spec with 3 litre steel oxygen+diluent cylinders, large 18ah heater battery, 2 litre 232bar steel suit inflate, also Kent Tooling stainless stand and 2.8kg/6.16 pounds of lead.

Reactions: OTF
Optima CM is like 17lbs fully rigged

Optima CM is like 17lbs fully rigged
Really? 7.7kg is impressive given that of one oxygen cylinder with regulator is almost that weight. Also the diluent is required.

So fully rigged needs to add in those two cylinders.

(Not being picky, just want to compare apples with oranges as it were)

Revo Micro titanium, steel 3L, 6cf drysuit, UWLD light, D6 stand. 77 pounds. I did have to remove the 4 pounds of lead since it overloaded my luggage scale with it in place. Call it 82 pounds since it doesn't have the spare snap bolt on it. I am about to take it out and check weighting with new undergarments, might need a few more pounds.

Warm water, no lead, no can, no drysuit bottle, With valveless 3L bottles and no sorb. Carry on to fly home, 52 pounds tossed into the overhead bin of a Southwest 737.

Revo Micro titanium, steel 3L, 6cf drysuit, UWLD light, D6 stand. 77 pounds. I did have to remove the 4 pounds of lead since it overloaded my luggage scale with it in place. Call it 82 pounds since it doesn't have the spare snap bolt on it. I am about to take it out and check weighting with new undergarments, might need a few more pounds.

Warm water, no lead, no can, no drysuit bottle, With valveless 3L bottles and no sorb. Carry on to fly home, 52 pounds tossed into the overhead bin of a Southwest 737.
Quick conversion: 35kg / 77 pounds

If you’re going to penalize the Choptima with the weight of dilout / bailuent you should penalize your revo too, unless you dive alpine style.

ETA: dil isn’t strictly required on the chop unless you want to go below 20’ 🤣

If you’re going to penalize the Choptima with the weight of dilout / bailuent you should penalize your revo too, unless you dive alpine style.
OK. Assume I'm not diving with bailout. It's still 44kg.

Really not penalising it as it's amazingly light, just that you will need O2 & dil and that's the ready-to-dive weight -- and of course it's also your bailout!

At that weight it's clearly one of the lightest on the market and only requires the rental of a couple of cylinders, in comparison with "normal" rebreathers that could need up to 4 or 5 cylinders to rent.

Kiss Spirit LTE: 22kg ready to dive. O2 cylinder, steel backplate, scrubber loaded. I add 10kg of ditchable lead in waist pockets when diving dry. I use a 40cf offboard bailout/diluent tank, not included in the weight.

Kiss Classic FW with 3l cylinders 41kg, with 1.5l cylinders for the mines 32kg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom