Question Trying to decide on a rebreather unit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FX CCR -- not seen that before.

There's the new Halcyon Symbios (Oxygen Scientific) chestmount rebreather coming out soon. That looks pretty interesting with lots of innovation. Although the non Shearwater electronics will be irksome -- new electronics needs beta testing and real-world refinement (at the buyer's cost -- I still have an XDeep Black that was pretty useless in operation, but promised so much)

Kind of never be the early adopter!

AJ:
It's very new. It's made by XCCR. Looks like a very nice unit. Slightly larger than the Triton.
It is tempting, though it is not only larger but also heavier than Triton (7kg vs 11kg both without sorb and tank).

But also it comes ready to dive versus Triton needs some work to dive with, a needle valve and MAV that allows plug off board Diluent in is kinda must in my opinion.

Hello @Dann-Oh I can recommend the JJ-CCR (or equivalent**) in a 'standard' backmount configuration. These standard 'type T' backmount units are just so mature and straightforward. They 'just work.' Just do your setup, don it and go. Less faffing about. Plenty instructors and support.

Sidemounters seem to spend so much time shuttling bits around and getting set up and 'streamlined.' I know rebreather divers that actually bought sidewinders, then gave up on them (for drysuit diving) and went back to their rEvos because it's just simpler (and rEvo's aren't even that simple 😆)

I presume you will be in a drysuit for the diving you describe.

The JJ (or rEvo, etc) is not actually that 'heavy'. It doesn't weigh much more than diving a single HP100 when you factor in ~20+ lbs of extra lead for the latter. JJ standard config is lighter than a twinset. No I am not counting the bailout--carry that to the waterline first by itself (for shore dives). Disregard the GUE-style frankentwin rig unless you're already a GUE cultie, or your dive boat has a hydraulic lift.

With lite units like the Prism2, you will need to figure out where to put a lot of extra lead. Maybe works if you're flying to Hawaii a lot. JJ with a carbon backplate still can work though (within 1-2 kg of a rEvo micro)

No real experience with a chestie unit yet, might work too. But I reckon you'll be hitting your stated dives goals a lot sooner if you just go with a standard backmount CCR.

No real experience with a chestie unit yet, might work too. But I reckon you'll be hitting your stated dives goals a lot sooner if you just go with a standard backmount CCR.
Side and chest mounted ccr's need more configuration and lots more practice in my experience. They work just as well as back mount, just not so forgiving and easy while donning as backmount though. If you don't have or don't want to spend a lot of dives configuring and practicing go for backmount. If you have specific needs where a backmount unit won't work, sidemount en chest mount are really nice units too. Once you're experienced with it won't matter what mount you choose.

My two cents and my opinion for what it’s worth. Using the CM CCR for deep diving in open water is one of its strengths over a traditional BM unit.

For a 100M dive with an extended bottom time you could use something similar to below.

1 x AL80 Deep Bailout - Drive Gas For Unit
1 x Doubles Size Depending on Dive - Intermediate Bailou
1 x AL80 - Deco Gas 1
1 x AL80 - Deco Gas 2

With this setup and doubles on the back you can have the 2 80s left, butt clip the 3rd and still have your right side clear for DPV, Camera, etc. I’m also able to fully dress without much assistance. This same dive with a traditional BM unit is much more complicated from a bottle management standpoint.

Again just my opinion and I prefer the CM for bigger open water dives for the reason listed above.

For the record I am certified on 3 BM units, teach on the rEvo, am an IT for the CM, and also am almost teaching on the SM Liberty so a lot of experience across the different platforms and I dive and teach as my full time career.

There is not one “best” option :)

For a 100M dive with an extended bottom time you could use something similar to below.

1 x AL80 - Deco Gas 1
1 x AL80 - Deco Gas 2

With this setup and doubles on the back
Do you need doubles AND a deep S80? Could also carry two cylinders on the back, but operating as separate gas mixes--e.g. left deep, right intermediate?

My two cents and my opinion for what it’s worth. Using the CM CCR for deep diving in open water is one of its strengths over a traditional BM unit.

1 x AL80 - Deco Gas 1
1 x AL80 - Deco Gas 2

With this setup and doubles on the back you can have the 2 80s left, butt clip the 3rd and still have your right side clear for DPV, Camera, etc. I’m also able to fully dress without much assistance. This same dive with a traditional BM unit is much more complicated from a bottle management standpoint.

Again just my opinion and I prefer the CM for bigger open water dives for the reason listed above.

For the record I am certified on 3 BM units, teach on the rEvo, am an IT for the CM, and also am almost teaching on the SM Liberty so a lot of experience across the different platforms and I dive and teach as my full time career.

There is not one “best” option :)
Hey there,
I'm glad you commented. I'm actually scheduled to have a phone call this week with your most recent Choptima certified instructor (Forrest) about his thoughts on the Choptima and his recommended training path.

I've also chatted with several friends that dive the Choptima who were your students.

Duh! Should have sent you to the dive show this weekend.

@grantctobin I noticed your 'sadness' reaction--care to comment why one would actually need a twinset of 'intermediate mix' on their back?

I understand that people might naturally feel like it makes sense to strap a chestmount CCR on after going through twinset tec-rec, but outside of that 'progression,' I have not heard of anyone taking two separate cylinders of the same mix with them for typical 100 metre "Mod3" bounce dives.

Unless it's the 'GUE' approach, but then that's a frankentwins of deep mix, not intermediate mix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom