Question Trying to decide on a rebreather unit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not funny. do you have a job? you spend an awful lot of time posting on here
And here we all are, my friend 😆

Once in a while I come here to SB.com to catch up on what's going on, just like the rest of you. We see things we haven't considered, whether sensible or otherwise.

In this thread, there are some seriously weird new decisions and ideas being thrown out, which I think is interesting and potentially important for people to have serious think about.

It started with us recommending a new CCR diver go with a standard unit, and then someone jumps in with "I go to 100+ metres on my chestmount in a config..." that nobody teaches, which raises a bunch of questions from experienced divers and instructors. Quite useful discussion ensues

Seems like everyone working hard and fast to grab some market share from current CM/SM CCR madness.

View attachment 845465
Seriously, what the heck does this have to do with someone asking about "how to decide on a rebreather unit?" I know that was intentionally ironic, but here we go lusting about kinky ass rigs again

It started with us recommending a new CCR diver go with a standard unit, and then someone jumps in with "I go to 100+ metres on my chestmount in a config..." that nobody teaches, which raises a bunch of questions from experienced divers and instructors. Quite useful discussion ensues
Just to be fair, some of these recommendations came from well-respected community members who know what's up. So yea, the configs may be new or weird to you, but I would not discount that advice by any means.

Also, if more divers started with the end goal in mind, we, as a community, would save a lot of $ and time.

Just to be fair, some of these recommendations came from well-respected community members who know what's up. So yea, the configs may be new or weird to you, but I would not discount that advice by any means.

Also, if more divers started with the end goal in mind, we, as a community, would save a lot of $ and time.
Sorry no disrespect, just hopping on the SB.com carnival ride like everyone else.

Someone who is deciding on their first rebreather can certainly now consider a chest mount unit. That's pretty cool. And there are ways to progress that to quite deep configs. Hence the questions!

The OP asked about how to reach 200 ft (60m) Mod2 goals in their local area. Honestly OP should probably just train on the P2 with the local instructor. But instead, we all just pitched our own exciting cool solutions (me included)

I think it's a bit of a stretch to pitch Mod3 100m+ chestmount to new divers right off the bat. OP said nothing about wanting to go as deep as possible. But there is nothing wrong with tossing out our own favorite agendas, I guess.

Sorry no disrespect, just hopping on the SB.com carnival ride like everyone else.

Someone who is deciding on their first rebreather can certainly now consider a chest mount unit. That's pretty cool. And there are ways to progress that to quite deep configs. Hence the questions!

The OP asked about how to reach 200 ft (60m) Mod2 goals in their local area. Honestly OP should probably just train on the P2 with the local instructor. But instead, we all just pitched our own exciting cool solutions (me included)

I think it's a bit of a stretch to pitch Mod3 100m+ chestmount to new divers right off the bat. OP said nothing about wanting to go as deep as possible. But there is nothing wrong with tossing out our own favorite agendas, I guess.
It is not clear where you're located... In the US, at least in South East circles, there is a perception that only people who get deals on P2 dive those units. There is also anecdotal evidence to support the perception.

CM Optima is a very popular choice. It is also US made and DiveRite has a strong following. Between P2 and CM Optima it is no contest - CM Optima all the way. Don't like it? Sell with some loss. P2 - yeah, you'll have to give it away ;-)

It is not clear where you're located... In the US, at least in South East circles, there is a perception that only people who get deals on P2 dive those units. There is also anecdotal evidence to support the perception.
That is totally accurate in my experience also.

I just said it because OP already knows a local instructor--presumably a good one(?)

Maybe OP gets a deal... I know someone selling a P2, got it for like $4k, dived it 4+ years, works great, done a crapton of long deco DPV dives on it, mostly Mod2 range which is what the OP asked about. Build a solid foundation in CCR for 'cheap?' That unit is in Hawaii though.

People like Luiz Rocha and the deep fish Cal Academy team using P2's all over the world (probably for free though.) And some Canadians. Seems like it's lite and you need to add extra lead for cold water.

I am also super excited about the chest mount explosion that's going on this year. Don't get me wrong!

I can definitely vote for a prism 2 being a good unit and bang for the buck. My perceived shortcomings shouldn't steer someone away from a used unit for especially under four grand and training is available all over the world. You may have to meet someone new to get training but I think the prison 2 is a great unit.

My perceived shortcomings were the scrubber basket and canister arrangement sharing space with tanks. You have to take the whole thing apart to take the basket off. The velcro straps don't do a great job holding the tanks on $100 in cam bands will solve this. Personally I sold mine but I would buy another one for the right price.

I'm trying to decide on a unit. I'm between the Kiss Sidewinder, Hollis Prisim P2, and DiveRite Choptima.

I know they are all different types or rebreather units.
…
I want to get into advanced shipwreck diving, penetration diving on the wrecks in San Diego, Ca. I would love to visit the wrecks up in the great lakes (Lake Huron) at the 180-200ft (60-67m) depth. There is a lot to see here in Southern California as well. I know I wont be able to afford tec diving on OC for very long so I'm thinking I just make the transition to CC sooner than later. I can do a lot of diving on AIR DIL here locally.

Key points:
  • This will be your first rebreather, no previous CCR experience
  • Aiming at MOD2 depths (70m/230ft)
  • Cold water boat diving
  • Experienced sidemount diver

Backmount would be the best fit for your requirements. Reasoning:
  • Best unit to dive in cold water off a boat. Need a drysuit inflation cylinder plus two ali80s for bailout (cold + MOD2)
  • Easiest to run with bank gas (top off 3 litre diluent & oxygen cylinders)
  • Simplest for bailout — pair of ali80s with 15/50 & 50% which are not consumed during normal diving
  • Backmount units are best for boat diving. Unit tied to bench, pre-dive tests done with unit standing up on bench — just as diving with a twinset + decompression ali80s.
  • Sidemount bailouts with bungees to keep them under control for wreck penetration and streamlining
  • Plenty of space for additional (3rd, 4th) bailout, large SMB reels, large suit heater battery, etc.

The OP asked about how to reach 200 ft (60m) Mod2 goals in their local area. Honestly OP should probably just train on the P2 with the local instructor.
I don't fully understand what the benefits of the P2 are over the Choptima. From what I can tell the P2 is about double the price ($15K for the P2 vs $7k for the Choptima). Both units can get me safely to where I want to go why would I spend 2x the money of the P2. Id rather use the extra funds for actually diving.

That is totally accurate in my experience also.

I just said it because OP already knows a local instructor--presumably a good one(?)
Well, the P2 instructor I know is currently out in Bonaire teaching a 100m course on the P2. I think he is a good instructor but I also don't know many instructors (I know 2) that teach rebreathers.
Maybe OP gets a deal... I know someone selling a P2, got it for like $4k, dived it 4+ years, works great, done a crapton of long deco DPV dives on it, mostly Mod2 range which is what the OP asked about. Build a solid foundation in CCR for 'cheap?' That unit is in Hawaii though.
I don't get any deals on the P2 so shopping for a unit I am looking at the MSRP of the unit for comparison.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom