Trying Tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you referring to GUE or IANTD valve drills? They are not the same.

AFAIK, only in the sequence. My tech classes encompassed IANTD, NAUI and NSS-CDS ... and I've taken a few GUE workshops ... and while there are some minor differences in how they approach the sequence of a valve drill, the mechanics of reaching back and turning a knob are the same ... and it is not what anyone contemplating tech diving should consider a complex task. Frankly, my biggest difficulty was reaching the damn things ... and that's not any easier to do while kneeling. When wearing a set of doubles, getting vertical isn't helpful ... gravity is NOT your friend ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

AFAIK, only in the sequence. My tech classes encompassed IANTD, NAUI and NSS-CDS ... and I've taken a few GUE workshops ... and while there are some minor differences in how they approach the sequence of a valve drill, the mechanics of reaching back and turning a knob are the same ... and it is not what anyone contemplating tech diving should consider a complex task. Frankly, my biggest difficulty was reaching the damn things ... and that's not any easier to do while kneeling. When wearing a set of doubles, getting vertical isn't helpful ... gravity is NOT your friend ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That would be the difference? What did you think I meant. The GUE is a simple 3 step operation. Right, Middle, Left. The IANTD method is quickly hashed up.
Signal Problem, Switch to back-up, close Isolator, close primary, purge primary, open primary; show primary is on, signal problem with back up, switch to primary, close back-up, purge, re-open back-up; show back-up is on, re-open isolator.
You get over a minute in the early stages of the Tec Courses, comes down to 45secs later on.
Bearing in my mind you penalise the student every time they attempt to turn the left post the wrong way, you quickly end-up repeating this skill a lot in confined.

That would be the difference? What did you think I meant. The GUE is a simple 3 step operation. Right, Middle, Left. The IANTD method is quickly hashed up.
Signal Problem, Switch to back-up, close Isolator, close primary, purge primary, open primary; show primary is on, signal problem with back up, switch to primary, close back-up, purge, re-open back-up; show back-up is on, re-open isolator.
You get over a minute in the early stages of the Tec Courses, comes down to 45secs later on.
Bearing in my mind you penalise the student every time they attempt to turn the left post the wrong way, you quickly end-up repeating this skill a lot in confined.

Uh ... perhaps this would be a good time for you to stop discussing GUE ... clearly you don't understand what they teach.

This is how we covered it in the GUE workshop I attended ...

1. Signal to your team you are going to perform a valve drill
2. Wait until your team is in place and then continue
3. Purge Backup regulator
4. Shut down the right hand post whilst simultaneously signalling you are manipulating a valve to your team
5. When the post is shut down, breathe down the regulator until it "locks".
6. Remove the regulator and replace with your backup regulator
7. Clip off your primary regulator on the right chest D ring
8. Open the Right post
9. Unclip the primary regulator and purge it
10. Remove the backup regulator from your mouth and replace with the primary regulator
11. Shut down the Isolator whilst simultaneously signalling you are manipulating a valve to your team
12. When the Valve is closed, Re-open the isolator
13. Move your torch to your right hand
14. Shut down the left hand post whilst simultaneously signalling you are manipulating a valve to your team
15. When the post is closed, purge the backup regulator until it "locks"
16. Open the left post
17. Move the torch to your left hand.
18. Check the position of your right hand post
19. Check the position of your isolator
20. Move the torch to your right hand and check the position of your left post
21. Signal that your drill is complete

... and this is what it looks like ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Really cannot be bothered with this back and forth.

The only thing a Tech Instructor really needs to ensure is that his/her students can do their stops and avoid getting bent. If he chooses to do that standing on his head wearing a clown suit while breathing off his Air2 then so be it.

The end product is what is important.

Last edited:
Really cannot be bothered with this back and forth.

Is that because it was shown that you don't know what you are talking about re how GUE does valve drills?

Wow, Bob, really?

Here I thought it was
1. Look at valve
2. Shut one leaking

:wink:

Tapatalk by Droid

The Wart wrote
The only thing a Tech Instructor really needs to ensure is that his/her students can do their stops and avoid getting bent.
Whether written tongue in cheek or not (and I do hope it was), I find the comment very sad for it shows what I believe to be a total misunderstanding of the goal of Technical Diving Instruction.

And what, pray tell, is that goal one might ask?

To be able to, in fact, both plan one's dive and then execute it as planned.

Perhaps the soul goal of a Technical Instructor is NOT as The Wart writes but instead to instill enough sense in the student for the student to know when the best dive she can make is the one where she stays on the boat.

Is that because it was shown that you don't know what you are talking about re how GUE does valve drills?

I actually put a detailed response into Bob's post then decided I'd rather go out for a beer. Hence the edit.

I'd take your post seriously, but anyone who lists PADI Boat Diver as a certification clearly doesn't take diving seriously.

@Peter; yes executing the plan is in essence exactly what I said, or not getting bent, which is always a the sign of a good dive. As my friend Richard still says 'any dive you come back from is a good one'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom