Trying Tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree. I think it is only one example of how tech training in general has not always sorted out the correct sequence of teaching skills. For example, in my instruction, I was expected to hold my position in relation to teammates and an ascent line during deco stops while in trim before I was taught to do a back kick. I have told many a tech student to get the back kick down as early in the instruction as possible, even if the instructor doesn't teach it, because my own instruction would have been so, so much easier if I had had that skill early.

This is often true ... however, in the context of the "Discover Tec" class, it's not really tech training ... it's a merit badge. I'm just not sure that selling tech as a merit badge is a good idea ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What is so sad about this is that technical diving is not about doing valve drills. Putting someone in a pool, on their knees OR their stomach, and having them spin valves, doesn't even remotely begin to be a taste of technical diving. Honestly, if you think back over your last "technical dive", it was a dive, right? You got in the water and got neutral and went to look at something. You kicked, or scootered; you kept track of your depth and time, and departed on schedule. You did a bunch of stops on the way up, switched to a different tank when appropriate, and surfaced when you were supposed to. Most of what made the dive different was the planning involved -- going over the profile, planning the gas supply, putting together the deco schedule; perhaps booking the charter, checking the tides and currents, studying plans for the wreck, and so on. I doubt anybody would be excited to pay someone for the privilege of doing a bunch of planning for a dive they weren't going to do, but putting them in a pool in a set of doubles really doesn't give anyone much of an idea of what tech diving is all about. (Unless you make them hold depth in midwater in the pool while their deco reg blows up when they charge the thing :) )

What is so sad about this is that technical diving is not about doing valve drills. Putting someone in a pool, on their knees OR their stomach, and having them spin valves, doesn't even remotely begin to be a taste of technical diving.

Of course... it's not about using the gear... it's about how awesome you look in that gear!

Discover Tec gives a chance for entry-level divers to experience the awesomeness of being seen publicly wearing the stuff that makes them look like a cross between a Navy SEAL and an astronaut. Why would they care what happens under the water... as long as they get some spectacularly amazing photos to stick on the Facebook profile? :wink:

as long as they get some spectacularly amazing photos to stick on the Facebook profile? :wink:

:shocked2: Quit stalking my FB page!

Of course... it's not about using the gear... it's about how awesome you look in that gear!

Discover Tec gives a chance for entry-level divers to experience the awesomeness of being seen publicly wearing the stuff that makes them look like a cross between a Navy SEAL and an astronaut. Why would they care what happens under the water... as long as they get some spectacularly amazing photos to stick on the Facebook profile? :wink:

... and nothing says "I'm a wannabe" quite like posting a picture of yourself parked on your knees wearing a set of doubles ... :shakehead:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... and nothing says "I'm a wannabe" quite like posting a picture of yourself parked on your knees wearing a set of doubles ... :shakehead:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Except to all your friends and family that know no better. You look like a modern day Jacques Cousteau SEAL Cave Explorer to them.

Who cares? Diving is F-U-N. Why take that away from people?

I agree that diving is fun ... that's why we all got into it in the first place. And I wouldn't want to take it away from anyone. I would just want to teach them how to have fun responsibly. This program promotes misconceptions.

To my concern, the "Discover Tec" program is like a carnival sideshow ... entertaining for some, perhaps, but mostly just another way to separate someone from their money ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: Jax
Except to all your friends and family that know no better. You look like a modern day Jacques Cousteau SEAL Cave Explorer to them.

Yeah ... like that guy who disappeared at Vortex a few months back ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

True, and the ladies love that kinda stuff. Whatever gets me laid, man.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom