Trying Tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Wart said/asked
Diving is F-U-N. Why take that away from people?
Because there are times when a diver needs to be "slapped upside the head" to be reminded that our sport occurs in a totally alien environment that "doesn't care if we live or not." In THIS part of the sport, the instructor corps should be supportive of the activity while demanding of accuracy and precision to a much greater extent than the instructor corps at the Open Water (entry) level.

It is one thing to promote the "F-U-N" of diving but a another thing to promote it poorly -- which the "doing valve drills on your knees" seems to do.

Reactions: Jax
HaHa... I take lots of pictures for my students to post to FB! It's great on Monday Morning to see all the new pics up!:D

True, and the ladies love that kinda stuff. Whatever gets me laid, man.

... somehow that's never worked for me ... :depressed:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sadly many people would rather have people look up to them and think they are something they are not than face the reality that they are not who they are portraying themselves as. And Ben is a perfect example.

The Wart said/asked
Because there are times when a diver needs to be "slapped upside the head" to be reminded that our sport occurs in a totally alien environment that "doesn't care if we live or not." In THIS part of the sport, the instructor corps should be supportive of the activity while demanding of accuracy and precision to a much greater extent than the instructor corps at the Open Water (entry) level.

It is one thing to promote the "F-U-N" of diving but a another thing to promote it poorly -- which the "doing valve drills on your knees" seems to do.

Why? Who says? Was there a census I missed? Can you show me the page in any instructor manual saying it's not allowed?

And as a PADI instructor you are supposed to be student centred not instructor centred. Try asking them what they want?

Maybe the crux of the issue here is that the 'Discover Tec' and other PADI tech 'initiatives' represents the first step in a very slippery slope of recreational mindset migrating into the technical diving community.
That could be good or bad depending upon how you look at it.

When I started with tech, the instructor, who was also a PADI instructor, said in almost these exact words, "This isn't PADI. We don't hold our hand in tech training."

What he meant was that he skipped that silly PADI stuff, like explaining how to do a skill, demonstrating a skill, allowing practice, etc. He went right for OW evaluation, including complicating factors on the first try. This would be followed by a lot of yelling at you when you did it wrong. That built toughness! That made you see how important things were! That made you realize you were a lowly failure of a diver you were and how unworthy you were! That, he believed, was the essence and beauty of tech instruction.

Example: my buddy and I were told we were going to be evaluated on deco bottle passing. We had never done this before. We were not told how to do it. We were not shown how to do it. We were just told that at the end of the next dive we would have to do a bottle pass using AL 80s during the ascent. The ascent line was placed immediately next to a wall covered with fine silt, which we knew darn well we were absolutely not to disturb. I was put OOA during the dive, so I was sharing off my buddy's long hose as we ascended doing simulated deco stops next to that silt wall. My buddy was instructed to pass his AL 80 to me so that I could add it to the AL 80 I was already carrying, both under my left arm. I have to admit it did not go all that well. For one thing, I accidentally clipped the bottom clip to the other tank's bottom clip instead of the D-ring. That image was the source of much derision during the film study.

Call me a wimp, but at that point I would have preferred some of that PADI recreational hand holding.

I believe the best instructors demand excellence and are able to achieve it without humiliating the students.

Reactions: Jax
I believe the best instructors demand excellence and are able to achieve it without humiliating the students.

Not directed at you but I am using your post to initiate my point.

Agreed. If a student (or potential student) is humiliated or feels inadequate simply because an instructor showed them a required skill in the manner in which it is required, then they have no business entering into a Tech class IMO and they need to grow and mature as a diver before trying to advance.

What he meant was that he skipped that silly PADI stuff,
like explaining how to do a skill,
demonstrating a skill, allowing practice, etc.
That made you realize you were a lowly failure of a diver you were and how unworthy you were!

Example: my buddy and I were told we were going to be evaluated on deco bottle passing. We had never done this before.
We were not told how to do it.
We were not shown how to do it.
We were just told that at the end of the next dive we would have to do a bottle pass using AL 80s during the ascent.

Sounds like a pretty sh!tty instructor that won't explain the "how".

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom