Trustfire TR-J1 review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I now have 3 and will buy another one. I did find that all 3 sometimes would flicker on and off. I too them all apart as much as I could Top cover, lens, locking ring. The guts of the torch is held in with wires but I loosened it, then reassembled everything on each torch and they now work ok. Don't know why this was but it seems a fix anyway. They run for about 1 hr constant, bright with a Ultrafire 4200 mah high capacity lithium rechargeable battery before dimming off so enough for 1 dive if on all the time. If you only use it occasionally then good for a few dives.

Hi everyone,

I got one from Dealextreme and I must say I'm very impressed with the light, but I can't unscrew the steel crown!
How did you guys unscrew it? I used much force and ended up unscrewing the lens, but the crown does not come off.

Thank you!

I unscrewed the top castle part, this removes the lens mirror, unscrew a ring, this allows the guts to drop down but its held by wires so that's as far as I got. Put it all back together and it works fine. Did this to all 3 torches and they are now reliable and don't leak

I took mine to a watch repair place. The guy said he didn't have the tool to remove it without scratching the paint. I told him it was a very inexpensive light and that I'd be scratching the heck out of it soon enough at the boom of Lake Travis. 15 seconds later it was removed at no charge.

I too have had the loose locking ring problem. Tightened it down twice and the problem has not returned. Over 130 dives with this light so far. *I* don't personally use it anymore but it seems like 1/3 - 1/2 of the dives I go on I have a buddy who either didn't bring a light or has a problem with his light. I just hand them this little light with attached bolt snap and we go about our dive.

I think when I go on Black Beards in September that I'll leave my canister light behind and just bring this as my primary and use it on the low power setting.

I highly recommend this light.

Last edited:
On the same TRJ1 I have had the silver locking ring loosen up twice, so it is potentially a recurring problem. The second time I snugged it down I also used a few drops of fingernail polish around the circumference of the ring to help it stay put. It has stayed tight so far but it hasn't been that long since I last tightened it. It may also help maintain contact if you apply a small amount of dielectric grease to the mating surfaces on the lock ring.

On a recent trip to the cenotes I used this light and for the first time was really impressed with the performance. In the muddy lake here it can be hard to tell the difference in performance between lights but in the crystal clear cenotes it was amazing how much brighter the trustfire was than the loaner hollis led lights. On one dive I was following my wife who was using the trustfire and the guide, and it was very hard to tell which was which between the trustfire and the guides can light.

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum, so Hello everyone and a big thank you for every contributor.

I read the whole thread about TRJ1, but I'm still undecided if I should go for the J1 or J2. What is your opinion? What advantages would have one compared to the other?
Does the 2x18650 of J2 really provide more light and longer runtime?
In about 1 month I will take my AOWD training and opted for the night dive specialty, but to be honest I'm not sure I will enjoy this kind of dives, so the main purpose of this torch will be during day and cavern dives.

Thank you.

I have both. The J2 has a longer run time as long as your batteries are freshly charged. This light has a tendency to discharge the batteries if they are placed in the light and screwed down. When I recharge the batteries, I will place them in the light, turn the ring to " Hi", then unscrew the back until the light turns off. I store it in a special bag to remind me to tighten the back before my dive. In terms of light, I can't tell if it gives more than the J1, seems about the same.

The J1 is just plain a great light! I am using it now as a video light, but it makes a great backup or primary depending on your needs.

Thanks Undrwater. I was expecting more light from J2 due to the higher current the driver can provide.

Hey guys. I have a TRJ2. It worked fantastic at first, but then I dropped it on concrete and it has been flickering or turning off ever since. I just tried some new batteries; no dice.

I'm trying to take it apart, but can't get the gasket in front of the glass to come off (The crown over the gasket, that the attack bezel screws in to, came off fine). Also, the two black O-rings in the light head look a little damaged.

Can you guys tell me how to get the guts of this light out of the head, and where to get O-rings?

EDIT: Never mind- Figured I had nothing to lose so just banged it against a table until the lens and reflector fell out. Lock ring was maybe 15 degrees loose. I tried to take out the electronics to check for damage or loose connections, but they're held in by wires and I couldn't remove the attachment point on the back side. I tightened everything up, but it works about as poorly as before.

The O rings for the lower cap are 15mm x 2mm silicone so a little hard to get. If you use Nitrile they are too hard and you cant seal the torch end. The silicone ones are much softer but easy to damage asn they extrude out when closing the torch

The switch O ring is 26mm x 1.5 silicone

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom