Trustfire TR-J1 review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The O rings for the lower cap are 15mm x 2mm silicone so a little hard to get. If you use Nitrile they are too hard and you cant seal the torch end. The silicone ones are much softer but easy to damage asn they extrude out when closing the torch

The switch O ring is 26mm x 1.5 silicone

Actually, there should be a reasonable range of o-ring sizes and hardness that should work. The OEM O-rings are really too big and soft but might be necessary to compensate for the lousy machining job on the grooves and sealing surfaces. I can feel a slight lip left on the sealing surface on the end cap.

What a shame. They often almost produce a quality product at very good prices. And then if things do go wrong, try to get any service support from the manufacturer. These "made in china" lights are a gamble. But, if you get a winner, it is well worth it.

Actually, there should be a reasonable range of o-ring sizes and hardness that should work. The OEM O-rings are really too big and soft but might be necessary to compensate for the lousy machining job on the grooves and sealing surfaces. I can feel a slight lip left on the sealing surface on the end cap.

What a shame. They often almost produce a quality product at very good prices. And then if things do go wrong, try to get any service support from the manufacturer. These "made in china" lights are a gamble. But, if you get a winner, it is well worth it.

I agree I tried the Nitrile 70 O rings but they were too hard, I think the softest is 60 but still wouldn't be soft enough. I am considering using wet and dry to take some of the material off the cap to allow me to use Nitrile rather than the silicon ones as they are too soft and pinch and cut easily. A pity for a light with potential. Same for the flickering on some. In the end I found if the end caps aren't done up tight the light will flicker, perhaps due to a bad connection on the cap thread or something. Anyway I have 4 of them and 3 work great now and one occasionally flickers.

I stuck a duro 70 EPDM (material should not matter much) on just to see how it fit. It seemed to be fine but I did not dive it. What makes you think duro 70 is too hard? I compare the seal to the large o-ring on the piston of a piston 1st stage which is handling a 150 psi pressure differential with no problem. I think I tried both an 018 and an 019 and they both looked like the would work OK. The 019 is a little loose and the 018 just a bit tight. Both seemed to work easier than the original o-rings.

I stuck a duro 70 EPDM (material should not matter much) on just to see how it fit. It seemed to be fine but I did not dive it. What makes you think duro 70 is too hard? I compare the seal to the large o-ring on the piston of a piston 1st stage which is handling a 150 psi pressure differential with no problem. I think I tried both an 018 and an 019 and they both looked like the would work OK. The 019 is a little loose and the 018 just a bit tight. Both seemed to work easier than the original o-rings.

I tried a 15 x 2 O ring which is the original O ring but in a Nitrile its too tight. I got it to work ok in 1 torch (tolerances obviously loose) but the rest I couldn't screw the cap on. I am talking the bottom end cap. The top seals are a different size and I have yet to touch them. They measure 20.35 mm x 1.78 mm but again are silicone which would be 019.
I might try the 016 for the bottom cap instead of the 15 x 2 and see how it seals.

I may have confused things with US (SAE) o-ring sizes. My "018" is refering to the SAE size 2-018 which is 7/8th inch OD, 3/4 inch ID, and 1/16th inch thick. Its metric size is 18.77mm ID and 1.78mm thick. I suspect that having to go to a 2mm thick ring is what is causing the binding and damage

Tried the 016 on the bottom cap but it feels a bit to easy to screw the cap on. I do have some 15 x 2 silicone and they work fine, at a pinch I can use 15 x 2 Nitrile and that are a tight fit but do seal well. Perhaps over time they will stretch the cap a bit and make it easier. Grease helps but after putting it on, it loses the lube as its all wiped off showing that is really is a tight fit. If it was a brand new torch I would check the 016 and see how they feel as I suspect with mine, after using the 15mm Nitrile the caps are a little stretched now.

perhaps you are right in using the 18.77 x 1.78 as the actual diameter of the seat is 21mm so perhaps by the time you use 18mm and it stretches a bit it might fit ok. I could also try the 019 seeing I may have stretched the caps. Will try and let you know

I don't think I would want to stretch them as much as would be required to use an 016 or 015. I'm happy with the fit of the 018. I agree that the lube seems to be being wiped of by too thick an o-ring. I rarely relube the o-rings on my "name brand" lights. But I keep a tube of silicone grease handy for these "made in China" lights (Trustfire and Magicshine). And, with the apparent poor machining of the seating surfaces, it might just require a tight fit and a soft o-ring to make the seal in spite of the machining defects.

Too bad, they almost have great lights. And maybe, someday, they will incorporate quality control and customer service in their manufacturing.

BTW, on the flickering light, you might try stretching the contact spring a bit. That seems to have cured mine for now.

I don't think I would want to stretch them as much as would be required to use an 016 or 015. I'm happy with the fit of the 018. I agree that the lube seems to be being wiped of by too thick an o-ring. I rarely relube the o-rings on my "name brand" lights. But I keep a tube of silicone grease handy for these "made in China" lights (Trustfire and Magicshine). And, with the apparent poor machining of the seating surfaces, it might just require a tight fit and a soft o-ring to make the seal in spite of the machining defects.

Too bad, they almost have great lights. And maybe, someday, they will incorporate quality control and customer service in their manufacturing.

BTW, on the flickering light, you might try stretching the contact spring a bit. That seems to have cured mine for now.

Found the flickering was the Trusfire battery, it had a fault. Replaced it and all seems well. Those batteries are very cheap but you do get some duds sometimes. Part of the risk of cheap batteries. I have a few spare to allow for this.

I paid $40 shipped for this light. Apart from tightening the lock nut twice, I've had no other problems with over 150 dives. It's pretty much my loaner light to buddies who don't have one and if I lost it tomorrow I wouldn't be sad. It served me well.

I settled on the BS019 Nitrile O rings for the end cap for my 4 torches. They seem firm enough to seal and don't extrude as you screw the cap on like the silicone ones do. I am more confident now to not flood the torch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom