Trustfire TR-J1 review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got it from Ebay, just search for "cree warm white 16mm". Mine is an XM-L and works like a charm. Any 16mm base will fit perfectly, but i dont know if any type of emitter will go well with the electronics.
I am still working on a diffusor...

Well I got the TR-J1. Used it once, took it apart to check it out... Now it no longer switches modes... Magnet is still in it. I have no idea.

quick questions on the DIY pressure tester you used to test the trustfire flashlight:

could you list the specs for ALL the parts used.
I have found several water filter cannisters and they all have 3/4" threads, but the only QD 3/4" I can find are for GARDEN hoses with much larger threads.

What QD did you use to fit in the housing?

What pressure gauge did you use, and how did you connect it directly to the water filter housing?

What type of hose did you use?

What end coupler did you on the hose to connect to the QD?

Sorry if this seems ELEMENTARY, but I am NOT usually a DIY :confused:, and since you mentioned RAPID DECOMPRESSION as a potential problem, I would rather learn from someone who has already experienced this then explain to my wife why there is a big hole in the wall :D

OK, I have viewed this thread for some time and have been sold on them one question remains. Considering that there a large amout of different models which one do you suggest. I am looking for underwater, long burn time, rechargeable and possible regulator battery ability and with a light that would or could be used for video. I will no hold you to your suggestion...just asking.

quick questions on the DIY pressure tester you used to test the trustfire flashlight:

The QD I used for the pressure pot are standard BC QDs - with a nut turned to fit the other side and sealed with epoxy...

The pressure gauge I used was a taper thread which actually fit into the canister... lucky I guess, but if not, then epoxy would've been my solution as well. As for the hose - I eventually got rid of the hose and currently use a standard LPI hose to connect to a reg.

Just fill up the pot as full of water as possible to reduce the risk of having a hole in your ceiling and the subsequent questions from the wife :D

Considering that there a large amout of different models which one do you suggest. I am looking for underwater, long burn time, rechargeable and possible regulator battery ability and with a light that would or could be used for video. I will no hold you to your suggestion...just asking.

Considering I have not reviewed the large amount of different models for lights out there, I can only give my experiences for this particular light - which is the purpose of this thread.

Hello :)

I ordered a tr-j1 which arrived a view weeks ago. disappointingly, all o-rings are damaged. after reporting this fault to the seller, he sent me another one... again alle o-rings are damaged.
now i got two workings tr-j1 without o-rings.

it would be very nice if someone of yours could tell me the correct measurements and materials of the o-rings i have to buy as i dont have something to measure the rings accurately!

thanks in advance
Cosmo

Order placed! Thanks "Doc Ed" for a great review.
It takes a month or more to arrive in my country. :(

I had planned to buy "TrustFire 3x CREE XML XM-L T6" but I read bad reviews (and costs twice).

I test them in Egypt and Maldives in May...

What is the maximum depth at which you tested?
(Sorry my english)

Thanks to this thread I was able to build my own pressure tester using a YTB-10-CB34-PR CLEAR 3/4" water filter housing ($59.00), and adapters from the big box plumbing department to reducing adapters to get to a 1/4" ntp to connect the pressure gauge on the outlet side, and on the inlet side 3/4" adapter to connect to standard garden hose. Our house pressure is 60-70 psi (equivalent to 132-157 ft depth).
20130223_161830.jpg
20130223_161843.jpg
20130223_162118.jpg20130223_162203.jpg
The red button on the top is a pressure release button.
You can regulate the pressure by turning down the water flow, or releasing pressure.

I had BOTH a gopro 2 housing and a Trustfire TR-DF003 large flashlight at the equivalent of 150 ft depth for 20 minutes without failure of either! The housing is large enough for two flashlights, and I also tested the Sony Cybershot marinepack rated at 132 ft at 150 ft without failure.

He Trustfire is a large dive light with 5 settings-high, medium, low, rapid flashing, and flashing out the morse code signal for SOS.

The flashlight turned by itself when fully Immersed, but did not leak. The flashlight turning on in the water is a known quirk, which is gotten around by turning the flashlight onto the chosen setting BEFORE getting into the water.
20130223_163620.jpg20130223_163535.jpg

Attachments

• 20130223_161902.jpg
    20130223_161902.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 282
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom