True Blue Quarry Rutland, VT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was just up there today its still cold I spoke to the caretaker and the signs are for the shooter. The owners of the land does not mind driver. Its the shooters that make a mess. I had two great cold dives

Just a thought......obviously I am nowhere near this place but when I see something like this, it really sets my mind to thinking. If anything ever were to happen, that "Story" could change very quickly (meaning a no trespassing sign does not differentiate between divers and shooters and they may choose to not say anything to officials if questioned) thus exposing you to increased liability. Most insurance companies would likely (my interpretation) fail to pay out if it was found that the insured was breaking the law when they got injured. I am not a lawyer, nor an insurance salesman (don't even play one on TV) but figure it is good to go places at least aware of what troubles you might be exposing yourself to.

I think it's a very good point. Should there be an occurrence diving/shooting and someone knowingly breaks the law - tough nuggies. As per the owner of the property and witnesses - they can all be dragged in with a subpoena. It would be very difficult IMO (as you've mentioned) to get an insurance company to pay out when you are trespassing and to some extent have unclean hands coming in.

On a separate note - I have heard of this place for a while, but thought - why bother. The idea of guns, lack of support & locals doing stupid things says "go elsewhere". Like Florida where the caves are nice and warm.

Anyone ever video taped the site?

Just a thought......obviously I am nowhere near this place but when I see something like this, it really sets my mind to thinking. If anything ever were to happen, that "Story" could change very quickly (meaning a no trespassing sign does not differentiate between divers and shooters and they may choose to not say anything to officials if questioned) thus exposing you to increased liability. Most insurance companies would likely (my interpretation) fail to pay out if it was found that the insured was breaking the law when they got injured. I am not a lawyer, nor an insurance salesman (don't even play one on TV) but figure it is good to go places at least aware of what troubles you might be exposing yourself to.

I think it's a very good point. Should there be an occurrence diving/shooting and someone knowingly breaks the law - tough nuggies. As per the owner of the property and witnesses - they can all be dragged in with a subpoena. It would be very difficult IMO (as you've mentioned) to get an insurance company to pay out when you are trespassing and to some extent have unclean hands coming in.

A diver died in 2005 at this site as reported here and discussed in SB threads here and here.

On a separate note - I have heard of this place for a while, but thought - why bother. The idea of guns, lack of support & locals doing stupid things says "go elsewhere". Like Florida where the caves are nice and warm.

Why bother??? It is the only cave diving to do in New England that is why! And instead of dealing with flow, such as in FL cave diving, this site offers complete different circumstances such as the bitter cold (38-42 F year round in the passages) that plays havoc on equipment (free flowing regs, drysuit with heavy undergarmets and dry gloves, heavy hood, powerful HIDs, etc). The passages are awesome as the roof and walls are cut marble and the silty floor is littered with mining debris from the late 1800s. These passages are also so huge that even my Salvo 35 W HID can not fully illuminate the interiors. There are some passages that approach 160' in depth though most of the passage dives are in the 120-140' range.

There is also an open quarry area (pictures 1 and 2 from October 2008) that is filled with several junk cars and trash as has been reported. The trash is a shame because the area is beautiful and the water is usually very clear (typically more than 25' in the open quarry but can be as high as 50'+). Though I have always dove into the passages through the air shaft vent (picture 3 also from October 2008), one can also enter passages through the quarry as there are some passages that connect through.

Make no mistake, the mine passage diving is Full Cave at a minimum. The cold and depth make it challenging and rewarding. When the winter seas continue to blow out charters from Newport to Maine, True Blue is open for diving!

Anyone ever video taped the site?

There are numerous videos on YouTube including a video from 2011 and a video from Christmas eve 2012.

TrueBlue100408b.jpgTrueBlue100408a.jpgAirshaftEntry100408b.jpg

What was the "square hole" used for when the quarry was active?

It was the air shaft vent. The passages begin ~ 102' down. Once you enter into the passages, you are essentially in a "cave" as you can not see light. Thus the air shaft vent is essentially the "cavern" zone since you can see light even at 100' down once you return into the air vent shaft.

I've also attached a couple of other pictures of West Rutland marble mine systems from the early 1900s before they flooded (around 1908). These pictures provide an insight and overview of the scale of the passages.

317294_1960188263179_1221056488_n.jpg381884_1960201543511_127811963_n.jpg388384_1983472645274_1257512255_n.jpg

I would love to see pictures or video from inside the passages. Sounds awesome.

Cheers Gypsy. I like the photos and the videos help to visualize the site. It's not that bad actually. In fact - pretty decent.

My head was initially leaning towards some real crap diving. Not dissimilar to some stuff I did a few years back. Cold, dark, tidal influenced, dangerous and 2 -0' viz. in tunnels.

It was the air shaft vent. The passages begin ~ 102' down. Once you enter into the passages, you are essentially in a "cave" as you can not see light. Thus the air shaft vent is essentially the "cavern" zone since you can see light even at 100' down once you return into the air vent shaft.

I've also attached a couple of other pictures of West Rutland marble mine systems from the early 1900s before they flooded (around 1908). These pictures provide an insight and overview of the scale of the passages.

View attachment 149659View attachment 149660View attachment 149661

Thanks. I thought about that very thing (vents) after I posted my inquiry. Sounds an interesting dive. Some years ago I had the desire to visit it, not to dive into the tunnels mind, but since then things have changed, priorities have changed, I am now too old and broken down to make such a trip.

I've been up here twice now although I don't have the knowledge or experience of many of the people that dive here on a semi weekly basis. I certainly don't know the passages very well. The visibility is often very good (e.g. not your typical muck diving quarry) however it's deep and cold.

It's unfortunately a 3.5 hour drive for me so. 7 hours roundtrip makes it slightly less appealing to me for what usually amounts one or two 45-50 minute dives since even with my drysuit I get too cold. I'm hoping to try again more this year since I've since upgraded to much bulkier undergarments.

The passages are absolutely massive, as in you could probably fit several greyhound buses or more inside. Old mining equipment is pretty nice. The open water portion is very cold to play around in and goes down to ~135ft in the shaft. Cool is under statement though, at depth I was getting 38f I think in August?

It is very much cave diving once you're inside the passages and like all overhead diving it should be treated with utmost respect.

Here's a video one of the regulars posted on YouTube that shows the quarry pretty well. I hope he doesn't mind me posting it here:

quarry dive_ dec 24th 2012 - YouTube

I also have some YouTube footage from this year that I took but I need to edit and upload it. Unfortunately, I dont have a very powerful light so the cavern/cave diving portion is far too dark to see anything from my GoPro.

Back
Top Bottom